Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting find command with wildcard directory Post 302533067 by srini0603 on Wednesday 22nd of June 2011 04:44:42 PM
Old 06-22-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corona688
If you'd only said "dozens" I'd have have suggested this in the first place, but this is dangerous when you have lots of files and folders. There's a limit to how many things one glob can find -- in some shells, no more than a page or two worth.

The version with two finds has no limit at all.

You're only deleting some of the files. If they're not empty, I doubt you really want them deleted.

You'll need to use the two-find version to do this anyway, since it'd be torturous to get the right directory in one find and use it only once. I'll use 0-9, a-f if that worked for you.

Code:
# Find all directories in .../PROD-* beginning with [0-9a-f]
find /Production/ST/st*/Outbound/Prod/PROD-* -type d -name '[0-9a-f]*' -print -name '*' -prune
while read DIR
do
        # Find files in "${DIR}/PGP", delete them if old enough
        find "${DIR}/PGP" -type f -mtime +2 | xargs -d '\n' echo rm

# Remove these directories only if they're empty
        rmdir "${DIR}/PGP" && rmdir "${DIR}"
# the rmdir's will cause some error messages when they fail, redirect that to /dev/null
done 2> /dev/null

find | xargs rm will run 'rm file1 file2 file3 ...' where find -exec rm would run 'rm file1; rm file2 ; rm file3 ...' so xargs makes it much faster. The -d '\n' is to tell xargs to consider anything but newlines as part of the filename.

The 'echo' is just a test, to print filenames instead of deleting as a test. Remove it once you're sure it's doing what you wanted.
can you tell me a bit more about two finds?

so in my case do I have to give it as 0-9,a-z as it could be anything between 0-9 and a-z as the first letter of the folder. is there any restriction on the # of directories I can search using this wildcard?

also won't the rmdir "${DIR}" delete the full structure? I just need only till the 32 char folder deleted and the rest should be intact.

P.S:
I just confirmed that it will be 32 chars and it will be consistent? so can i use the ??? approach? would that be better?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Find wildcard .shtml files in wildcard directories and removing them- How's it done?

I'm trying to figure out how to build a small shell script that will find old .shtml files in every /tgp/ directory on the server and delete them if they are older than 10 days... The structure of the paths are like this: /home/domains/www.domain2.com/tgp/ /home/domains/www.domain3.com/tgp/... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Neko
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

how to find a file named vijay in a directory using find command

I need to find whether there is a file named vijay is there or not in folder named "opt" .I tried "ls *|grep vijay" but it showed permission problem. so i need to use find command (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: amirthraj_12
6 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Wildcard in Cshell find command

The following command works fine in my cshell script: set Deliverables = `find . -name "eliverables" -print` The following command does not work: set LASFiles = `find . -name "*." -print` In the first example, when tested in an if statement, the script will continue whether a... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: phudgens
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

WildCard serach for files in a directory

Hi i have a requirement to search for all files in a directory. the files will start as file1_*,file2_*,file3_* where the wild card character is a timestamp. so on a particular day i may get files like file1_1103120042 file1_1102010345 file2_1101093423 file3_1103120042... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sgiri1
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Change directory with wildcard in FTP server

Hi , I am looking for a command to change directory in FTP server with wildcard specified. Basically this is what i am trying. localserver# ftp remoteserver ftp> ls 41000_42000 42000_43000 ftp> cd 41* 550 CWD failed. '41*' : no such file or directory. Could anyone please let me know... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: thavamaniraja
6 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

find command to look for current directory only

i have this find command on my script as: for i in `find $vdir -name "$vfile" -mtime +$pday` the problem with this code is that the sub-directories are included on the search. how do i restrict the search to confine only on the current directory and ignore the sub-directories. please advise.... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: wtolentino
7 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

ksh(!93) for loop with wildcard and empty directory

I'm sure this is by design, but using something like for f in dir/* do echo $f done produces unexpected (to me) results if run against an empty directory. I'd have expected it to not execute the loop, but it actually calls it with f set to 'dir/*'. Now I know that I'm trying to protect... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: spr00t
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find out directory where command is located

so i have a script that i do not want copies of that script to be roaming around. i want that script to be in only one location on the filesystem, and whoever wants to use it should just link to it. any idea on how to exit from a script if it is detected that the running version is a copy and... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: SkySmart
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How-To Exclude Directory in find command

How can i tweak the below find command to exclude directory/s -> "/tmp/logs" find . -type f \( ! -name "*.log*" ! -name "*.jar*" \) -printNote: -path option/argument does not work with the version of find that i have. bash-3.2$ uname -a SunOS mymac 5.10 Generic_150400-26 sun4v sparc sun4v (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: mohtashims
7 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Find and replace with wildcard

HI there, I am trying to find and replace with wildcard with data chr1 69511 69511 A G 1/1:0,34:791,78,0:78:34 0/1:55,60:1130,0,1513:99:116 1/1:0,28:630,63,0:63:28 0/1:0,34:626,57,0:57:34 To this chr1 69511 69511 A G homo hetero homo hetero Where I find and replace 0/1 with... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: daashti
3 Replies
RMDIR(1)							   User Commands							  RMDIR(1)

NAME
rmdir - remove empty directories SYNOPSIS
rmdir [OPTION]... DIRECTORY... DESCRIPTION
Remove the DIRECTORY(ies), if they are empty. --ignore-fail-on-non-empty ignore each failure that is solely because a directory is non-empty -p, --parents remove DIRECTORY and its ancestors; e.g., 'rmdir -p a/b/c' is similar to 'rmdir a/b/c a/b a' -v, --verbose output a diagnostic for every directory processed --help display this help and exit --version output version information and exit GNU coreutils online help: <http://www.gnu.org/software/coreutils/> Report rmdir translation bugs to <http://translationproject.org/team/> AUTHOR
Written by David MacKenzie. COPYRIGHT
Copyright (C) 2013 Free Software Foundation, Inc. License GPLv3+: GNU GPL version 3 or later <http://gnu.org/licenses/gpl.html>. This is free software: you are free to change and redistribute it. There is NO WARRANTY, to the extent permitted by law. SEE ALSO
rmdir(2) The full documentation for rmdir is maintained as a Texinfo manual. If the info and rmdir programs are properly installed at your site, the command info coreutils 'rmdir invocation' should give you access to the complete manual. GNU coreutils 8.22 June 2014 RMDIR(1)