Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting If test grep.... always returns 0 status Post 302532901 by alister on Wednesday 22nd of June 2011 10:29:57 AM
Old 06-22-2011
From looking at your grep attempt, you have assumed that the id cannot occur as part of a name. The following makes the same assumption, but it's more efficient than looping and repeatedly reading a file. The output should be lines in bigfile.txt whose id is present in smallfile.txt:
Code:
grep -Ff smallfile.txt bigfile.txt

Regards,
Alister

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

test: unknown operator status

hi I get test: unknown operator status if then echo "OK." return 0 else echo "not ok" 2>&1 exit -1 fi I tried to change "A" with 'A' --> same error I tried to change if , I am getting: (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: melanie_pfefer
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

if returns "unknown test operator"

Greetings, using ksh on Solaris, I am trying to identify the current version of a package installed on multiple servers using if statement in a precursor to upgrading. I have searched the forums and have found many hits, reviewed 3 pages and have tried the different variations noted there. Also... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: 22blaze
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Grep without returns...

Is there a command where I can pipe my grep into it and it will output it with spaces rather than returns? Example I want to turn prompt$ grep blah file blah blah into this prompt$ grep blah file | someCommand blah blah (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mrwatkin
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

find/grep returns no matches

Hi all! I've faced with very unintelligible error using find/grep like this: root@v29221:~# find /var/www/igor/data/www/lestnitsa.ru | grep u28507I get nothing as a result, but: root@v29221:~# grep u28507 /var/www/igor/data/www/lestnitsa.ru/_var.inc $db_name = 'u28507';... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ulrith
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

If the grep command returns any result set

my intension is to use a grep command inside the shell script and if any row is returned or not.. depending on the resultset i have to code on further. how to check this i mean.. could anyone help me out with the if condition how to use it here !! (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: gotam
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grep returns nothing

Hi all, I am trying to grep a .txt file for a word. When I hit enter, it returns back to $ The file is 4155402 in size and is named in this way: *_eveningtimes_done_log.txt I use this command, being in the same directory as the file: grep -i "invalid" *_eveningtimes_done_log.txt ... (16 Replies)
Discussion started by: DallasT
16 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

grep returns many values into a variable error

I get an error when I grep my results into a variable when the grep finds more than one file. FND="$(find ediout* -mmin -60)" if ; then STR="$(find ediout* -mmin -60 -exec grep -l "ERRORS Encountered" {} +)" fi When there is only one ediout file it works fine. How do I... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: aispg8
11 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to test for the ssh exit status in script?

Hello; I regularly run monitoring scripts over ssh to monitoring scripts But whenever a server is hung or in maintenance mode, my script hangs.. Are there anyways to trap exit status and be on my way ?? Looked at the ssh manpage and all I can see is a "-q" option for quiet mode .. Thank... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: delphys
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Test exit status of last cmd via ssh

see below for a housekeeping script which constructs an ssh cmd using some server/path/sudo info found in $HRINST. the script should hop to each server and if it finds a file to cleanup, moves it to the archive dir if there is nothing to move, it should report so and email the output ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jack.bauer
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Test with non-zero status does not exit shell

Hi there, I'm very used to use set -e to break my scripts if any command exits with a non-zero status. As a policy, I'm willingly expecting echo hello | grep a to break the script. The commands test 1 -eq $1 && echo hello exits with a non-zero status if $1 is not 1. BUT... It doesn't break... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: chebarbudo
2 Replies
ECACCESS-FILE-MOVE(1p)					User Contributed Perl Documentation				    ECACCESS-FILE-MOVE(1p)

NAME
ecaccess-file-move - Move or Rename ECaccess Files SYNOPSIS
ecaccess-file-move -version|-help|-manual ecaccess-file-move [-debug] source-ecaccess-file target-ecaccess-file DESCRIPTION
Allow moving an ECaccess File. When the move occurs within the same ECaccess File System then it is a rename. When the move occurs across two different ECaccess File Systems then first a copy is done and then a delete of the original file is done (e.g. similar to ecaccess- file-copy ... -erase). The source-ecaccess-file and target-ecaccess-file are in the form [domain:][/user-id/]path. Please read the "Shell commands -> File Management" section of the "ecaccess" guide for more information on the ECaccess File System. ARGUMENTS
source-ecaccess-file The source ECaccess File name. target-ecaccess-file The target ECaccess File name. OPTIONS
-version Display version number and exits. -help Print a brief help message and exits. -manual Prints the manual page and exits. -debug Display the SOAP messages exchanged. EXAMPLES
ecaccess-file-move ec:test1.txt ec:test2.txt Rename the test1.txt file in the ECFS directory of the authenticated user in test2.txt. ecaccess-file-move ec:test1.txt home:test2.txt Copy the test1.txt file from the ECFS directory of the authenticated user to the test2.txt file in the $HOME directory of the authenticated user, then delete the test1.txt file from ECFS. SEE ALSO
ecaccess-file-delete, ecaccess-file-get, ecaccess-file-mget, ecaccess-file-modtime, ecaccess-file-mput, ecaccess-file-rmdir, ecaccess-file- copy, ecaccess-file-dir, ecaccess-file-mdelete, ecaccess-file-mkdir, ecaccess-file-chmod, ecaccess-file-put, ecaccess-file-size and ecaccess. perl v5.14.2 2012-04-16 ECACCESS-FILE-MOVE(1p)