Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting If test grep.... always returns 0 status Post 302532884 by jville on Wednesday 22nd of June 2011 09:48:08 AM
Old 06-22-2011
try the below
Code:
big=bigfile.txt
small=smallfile.txt

while read user id
do
     grep -q $id $small ; 
     if [ $? -eq 0 ]
     then
        echo "ID exists"
     else
        echo "ID does not exist"
    fi
done < $big

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

test: unknown operator status

hi I get test: unknown operator status if then echo "OK." return 0 else echo "not ok" 2>&1 exit -1 fi I tried to change "A" with 'A' --> same error I tried to change if , I am getting: (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: melanie_pfefer
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

if returns "unknown test operator"

Greetings, using ksh on Solaris, I am trying to identify the current version of a package installed on multiple servers using if statement in a precursor to upgrading. I have searched the forums and have found many hits, reviewed 3 pages and have tried the different variations noted there. Also... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: 22blaze
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Grep without returns...

Is there a command where I can pipe my grep into it and it will output it with spaces rather than returns? Example I want to turn prompt$ grep blah file blah blah into this prompt$ grep blah file | someCommand blah blah (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mrwatkin
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

find/grep returns no matches

Hi all! I've faced with very unintelligible error using find/grep like this: root@v29221:~# find /var/www/igor/data/www/lestnitsa.ru | grep u28507I get nothing as a result, but: root@v29221:~# grep u28507 /var/www/igor/data/www/lestnitsa.ru/_var.inc $db_name = 'u28507';... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ulrith
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

If the grep command returns any result set

my intension is to use a grep command inside the shell script and if any row is returned or not.. depending on the resultset i have to code on further. how to check this i mean.. could anyone help me out with the if condition how to use it here !! (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: gotam
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grep returns nothing

Hi all, I am trying to grep a .txt file for a word. When I hit enter, it returns back to $ The file is 4155402 in size and is named in this way: *_eveningtimes_done_log.txt I use this command, being in the same directory as the file: grep -i "invalid" *_eveningtimes_done_log.txt ... (16 Replies)
Discussion started by: DallasT
16 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

grep returns many values into a variable error

I get an error when I grep my results into a variable when the grep finds more than one file. FND="$(find ediout* -mmin -60)" if ; then STR="$(find ediout* -mmin -60 -exec grep -l "ERRORS Encountered" {} +)" fi When there is only one ediout file it works fine. How do I... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: aispg8
11 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to test for the ssh exit status in script?

Hello; I regularly run monitoring scripts over ssh to monitoring scripts But whenever a server is hung or in maintenance mode, my script hangs.. Are there anyways to trap exit status and be on my way ?? Looked at the ssh manpage and all I can see is a "-q" option for quiet mode .. Thank... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: delphys
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Test exit status of last cmd via ssh

see below for a housekeeping script which constructs an ssh cmd using some server/path/sudo info found in $HRINST. the script should hop to each server and if it finds a file to cleanup, moves it to the archive dir if there is nothing to move, it should report so and email the output ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jack.bauer
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Test with non-zero status does not exit shell

Hi there, I'm very used to use set -e to break my scripts if any command exits with a non-zero status. As a policy, I'm willingly expecting echo hello | grep a to break the script. The commands test 1 -eq $1 && echo hello exits with a non-zero status if $1 is not 1. BUT... It doesn't break... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: chebarbudo
2 Replies
FPRINTF(3)								 1								FPRINTF(3)

fprintf - Write a formatted string to a stream

SYNOPSIS
int fprintf (resource $handle, string $format, [mixed $args], [mixed $...]) DESCRIPTION
Write a string produced according to $format to the stream resource specified by $handle. PARAMETERS
o $handle -A file system pointer resource that is typically created using fopen(3). o $format - See sprintf(3) for a description of $format. o $args - o $... - RETURN VALUES
Returns the length of the string written. EXAMPLES
Example #1 fprintf(3): zero-padded integers <?php if (!($fp = fopen('date.txt', 'w'))) { return; } fprintf($fp, "%04d-%02d-%02d", $year, $month, $day); // will write the formatted ISO date to date.txt ?> Example #2 fprintf(3): formatting currency <?php if (!($fp = fopen('currency.txt', 'w'))) { return; } $money1 = 68.75; $money2 = 54.35; $money = $money1 + $money2; // echo $money will output "123.1"; $len = fprintf($fp, '%01.2f', $money); // will write "123.10" to currency.txt echo "wrote $len bytes to currency.txt"; // use the return value of fprintf to determine how many bytes we wrote ?> SEE ALSO
printf(3), sprintf(3), sscanf(3), fscanf(3), vsprintf(3), number_format(3). PHP Documentation Group FPRINTF(3)