Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Insert ongoing numeration in each line? Post 302532814 by Bloomy on Wednesday 22nd of June 2011 06:51:57 AM
Old 06-22-2011
Unfortunately it didn't change anything.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Insert a line as the first line into a very huge file

Hello, I need to insert a line (like a header) as the first line of a very huge file (about 3 ml rows). I am able to do it with sed, but redirecting the output and creating a new file takes quite some time. I was wondering if there was a more efficient way of doing it? Any help would be... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: shriek
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

insert a line after specific line

Hii, I have a file like this-- Here i want to replace the line o: Torry Harris with o: Torry arris Business Solutions and in file there are places where this line is not there after the Mobile number,so i want to insert the line as --o: Torry arris Business Solutions. i can replace it... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: namishtiwari
8 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to insert and delete any line after desire line

like i have file like abc 123 pqr bbbb ttttttttt t tttt ------------------ i want to insert "class" after pqr and t lines please suggest me. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: RahulJoshi
4 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Understanding 'ongoing monitoring'

Hello - very newbie here. I have a file that I want to monitor. Whenever a certain word is added to the end I want to be notified. I have figured out how to do it manually... ie: tail /path/to/file/TransferLog.txt | grep Total When I type this in - I get no output if the word 'Total'... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jeffh
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Insert a new line before every 5th line in a file

Hi, I need to insert a new line containing the string "QUERY" above every 5 lines. The below piece of code inserts a new line after every 5th line awk '{print $0} !(NR%5) {print "QUERY"}' sed 'n;n;n;n;G;' --> I do not know how to give "QUERY" string here But I need to insert it before... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: royalibrahim
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sort a line and Insert sorted word(s) in a line

Hello, I am looking to automate a task - which is updating an existing access control instruction of a server and making sure that the attributes defined in the instruction is in sorted order. The instructions will be of a specific syntax. For example lets assume below listed is one of an... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: sanjayroc
6 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed - How to insert line before the first blank line following a token

Hello. I have a config file (/etc/my_config_file) which may content : # # port for HTTP (descriptions, SOAP, media transfer) traffic port=8200 # network interfaces to serve, comma delimited network_interface=eth0 # set this to the directory you want scanned. # * if have multiple... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: jcdole
6 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to read a text file line by line and insert into a database table?

I have a test file that I want to read and insert only certain lines into the the table based on a filter. 1. Rread the log file 12 Hours back Getdate() -12 Hours 2. Extract the following information on for lines that say "DUMP is complete" A. Date B. Database Name C.... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: JolietJake
2 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Insert a line of text on nth line of a file

Hi All, I am using UNix Sun OS sun4u sparc SUNW,SPARC-Enterprise My intention is to insert a line of text after 13th line of every file inside a particular directory. While trying to do it for a single file , i am using sed sed '3 i this is the 4th line' filename sed: command garbled: 3... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: gotamp
5 Replies
CHSH(1) 							   User Commands							   CHSH(1)

NAME
chsh - change login shell SYNOPSIS
chsh [options] [LOGIN] DESCRIPTION
The chsh command changes the user login shell. This determines the name of the user's initial login command. A normal user may only change the login shell for her own account; the superuser may change the login shell for any account. OPTIONS
The options which apply to the chsh command are: -h, --help Display help message and exit. -R, --root CHROOT_DIR Apply changes in the CHROOT_DIR directory and use the configuration files from the CHROOT_DIR directory. -s, --shell SHELL The name of the user's new login shell. Setting this field to blank causes the system to select the default login shell. If the -s option is not selected, chsh operates in an interactive fashion, prompting the user with the current login shell. Enter the new value to change the shell, or leave the line blank to use the current one. The current shell is displayed between a pair of [ ] marks. NOTE
The only restriction placed on the login shell is that the command name must be listed in /etc/shells, unless the invoker is the superuser, and then any value may be added. An account with a restricted login shell may not change her login shell. For this reason, placing /bin/rsh in /etc/shells is discouraged since accidentally changing to a restricted shell would prevent the user from ever changing her login shell back to its original value. FILES
/etc/passwd User account information. /etc/shells List of valid login shells. /etc/login.defs Shadow password suite configuration. SEE ALSO
chfn(1), login.defs(5), passwd(5). shadow-utils 4.5 01/25/2018 CHSH(1)