Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Linux Red Hat SSH lock users to the Home Directory Post 302532750 by oky on Wednesday 22nd of June 2011 04:05:57 AM
Old 06-22-2011
as far as SSH restriction to lock the users, you need to configure the restricted shell along with chroot.

FTP ..can u post the output how u r trying to access.

Customer who is getting the access what operations he is going to perform.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Restrict users to ther home directory

Hello! I want users in a certain group to be restricted to their home directory. So that they have full access to all files and folders in their home directory but the cant go to any directory above. Does anyone know how to do this? Anders (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: alfabetman
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Profiles for users without home directory

Hi I want to know which profile will be called when a user without home directory is created. When I created a user without home directory(by setting in /etc/default/useradd), the user is able to login directly into the main "/" folder but with only read permissions. Thanks naina (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: naina
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Home Directory Jail for Users

Hi, I am looking for a shell script (or any other way), that puts a user in a home directory jail. So for example, I have a user named richard and I don't want him wandering outside /usr/users/richard. I don't want him to cd to anywhere including cd .. Somebody said you can do that with... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mz043
3 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

lost /home/directory for users

I'm using HPUX 11i. The other day a user logon to the workstation and was not able to find the /home/directory (tom is the directory) I login myself and it is the same thing. The home directory is on the server, so I was thinking of using sam to map it again. does anyone know how to do it... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: blizzgamer
5 Replies

5. Linux

Lock User in home directory in ftp prompt

Hi, I am using Red Hat Enterprise Linux ES release 4 (Nahant Update 5). Here I have created one user with /sbin/nologin shll such that login is not possible only ftp is possible. But I want to do another thing that the user can not roam around after ftp. I had tried one way. in... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: kallol
4 Replies

6. Solaris

Common Home directory for different users??

Hi Guys, I have a problem with configuring a server. this is a solaris 10 with sparc platform. I have setup so that the server is Authenticating through NIS but I dont want the server to Mount the Home directories. The users need to logged in through the CDE/display. I have over 200 users... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Luky
2 Replies

7. Cybersecurity

ssh many users to one home

Hey guys, Hmm.. I'm not quite sure where to open this. If any mod thinks this is not the place, please move it to wherever its suited :) So, I want to allow some trusted users to scp files into my server (to an specific user), but I do not want to give these users a home, neither ssh... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: flpgdt
1 Replies

8. AIX

close ssh users to the home directory

Hello, I must close ssh users to the home directory. It means the users musn't see anything inside their home directory. For example after login to the os and type this command "cd .." or "cd /" it musn't work. How can I implement it? (Probably chroot or rootsh but how?) (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jeszi
1 Replies

9. Red Hat

sftp configuration | to lock users to their home folder.

In generally I use vsftp but I want to improve our security so I decide to use sftp instead of vsftp. We know that ssh,scp and sftp are in openssh server. How can I lock only sftp user to their home folder? And to prevent some users for sftp like root as such in vsftp daemon? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: getrue
3 Replies

10. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Permissions on a directory in /home for all users

Hi, I have created a shared directory on /home, where all users on a certain group have read, write and execute permissions. I did this using chmod -R g+rwx /home/shared/ The problem is, when a particular user creates a directory within /home/shared, other users are not able to write to... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: lost.identity
8 Replies
ftpconfig(1M)						  System Administration Commands					     ftpconfig(1M)

NAME
ftpconfig - set up anonymous FTP SYNOPSIS
ftpconfig [ftpdir] ftpconfig -d ftpdir DESCRIPTION
The ftpconfig script is executed by the super user to set up anonymous FTP. Anonymous FTP allows users to remotely log on to the FTP server by specifying the user name ftp or anonymous and the user's email address as password. The anonymous users are logged on to the FTP Server and given access to a restricted file area with its own file system root. See chroot(2). The FTP area has its own minimal system files. This command will copy and set up all the components needed to operate an anonymous FTP server, including creating the ftp user account, creating device nodes, copying /usr/lib files, and copying timezone data. The passwd and group files set up have been stripped down to prevent malicious users from finding login names on the server. The anonymous file area will be placed under ftpdir. If the ftp user account already exists, then the current FTP area is used, and the system files in it are updated. All other files are left untouched. This command should be run to update the anonymous FTP area's configuration whenever a system patch is installed, or the system is upgraded. OPTIONS
-d Create a new or update an existing ftpdir without creating or updating the ftp user account. Use this option when creating guest FTP user accounts. OPERANDS
The following operands are supported: ftpdir The absolute pathname of the directory under which the anonymous FTP area is set up. EXIT STATUS
The following exit values are returned: 0 Successful completion 1 Improper usage of the command 2 Command failed ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWftpu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface Stability |Evolving | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
ftpaddhost(1M), in.ftpd(1M), useradd(1M), chroot(2), attributes(5) SunOS 5.10 1 May 2003 ftpconfig(1M)