Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Solaris what is the use of each login related files present in users home directory Post 302532711 by fpmurphy on Tuesday 21st of June 2011 10:13:40 PM
Old 06-21-2011
local.cshrc, local.login, local.profile are template files which are copied to new user's home directory.
This User Gave Thanks to fpmurphy For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Profiles for users without home directory

Hi I want to know which profile will be called when a user without home directory is created. When I created a user without home directory(by setting in /etc/default/useradd), the user is able to login directly into the main "/" folder but with only read permissions. Thanks naina (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: naina
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Home Directory Jail for Users

Hi, I am looking for a shell script (or any other way), that puts a user in a home directory jail. So for example, I have a user named richard and I don't want him wandering outside /usr/users/richard. I don't want him to cd to anywhere including cd .. Somebody said you can do that with... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mz043
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

lost /home/directory for users

I'm using HPUX 11i. The other day a user logon to the workstation and was not able to find the /home/directory (tom is the directory) I login myself and it is the same thing. The home directory is on the server, so I was thinking of using sam to map it again. does anyone know how to do it... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: blizzgamer
5 Replies

4. Solaris

find home directory paths for all users

How to find al the user's home directories? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: a2156z
2 Replies

5. Solaris

Common Home directory for different users??

Hi Guys, I have a problem with configuring a server. this is a solaris 10 with sparc platform. I have setup so that the server is Authenticating through NIS but I dont want the server to Mount the Home directories. The users need to logged in through the CDE/display. I have over 200 users... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Luky
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

about the access permission of users home directory

RHEL5.0 As we know, when root create a new user, a new home directory will be created : /home/user I want to know what determine the access permission of /home/user . Thanks! (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: cqlouis
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

users who have un-sanctioned(forbidden) files in their home directory.

Hello guys, I have to create a sh script which return users who have un-sanctioned(forbidden) files in their home directory. I tried to do: #!/bin/sh -x SHADOW_FILE="/etc/shadow" PASSWORD_FILE="/etc/passwd" for i in `grep -v '^+' $PASSWORD_FILE | cut -d: -f1,6` do username=`echo... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: catalint
6 Replies

8. Red Hat

SSH lock users to the Home Directory

Hi friends, I must to give ssh connection to own customer. So I want to lock ssh user on own home directory. It is not necessery to reach other folders. I know that ftp user can lock on own folder but I don't know how to lock ssh user. I am waitting your kindly helps :D ---------- Post... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: getrue
10 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Get Home Directory for Users in Login Hook Script

I'm writing a script to use as a LoginHook for my Mac users. As part of this script, I need to write to a location in their home directory, but I can't seem to access the path - at this point in the login process, $HOME is empty and ~ gives the path to root's home. Unfortunately, I can't just do... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: blondepianist
1 Replies

10. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Permissions on a directory in /home for all users

Hi, I have created a shared directory on /home, where all users on a certain group have read, write and execute permissions. I did this using chmod -R g+rwx /home/shared/ The problem is, when a particular user creates a directory within /home/shared, other users are not able to write to... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: lost.identity
8 Replies
rhosts(5)							File Formats Manual							 rhosts(5)

Name
       rhosts - list of hosts that are logically equivalent to the local host

Syntax
       /$HOME/.rhosts

Description
       The  file  allows  a  user  who has an account on the local host to log in from a remote host without supplying a password.  It also allows
       remote copies to the local host.

If the file exists, it is located in a user's home directory.  It is not a mandatory file, however.

The format of a file entry is:
       hostname [username]
       The hostname is the name of the remote host from which the user wants to log into the local host.  The username is the user's login name on
       the remote host.  If you do not specify a user name, the user must have the same login name on both the remote and local hosts.

The  host  names  listed in the file may optionally contain the local BIND domain name.	For more information on BIND, see the Guide to the
       BIND/Hesiod Service.

If a user is logged in to and wants to log in to a host called without supplying a password, she must:

o    Have an account on

o    Create a file in her home directory on

o    Specify host1 ginger as an entry in the file.
	    If has the same login on both and she can simply specify host1 in her entry.  You can allow the superuser of a remote system to log in
	    to your system without password protection or perform a remote copy by having a file in the root ( / ) directory, but it is not recom-
	    mended.
	    In addition to having a file, the superuser needs a terminal entry in the file for each pseudoterminal configured in the system.   The
	    secure entry looks similar to the following:
	    ttyp3      none    network	       secure
	    See the reference page for more information.

Examples
       The  following is a sample file for the user It is located in her home directory on She also has accounts on the hosts called and Her login
       name on and is the same as on but her login on is

To enable to log in to from and without supplying a password, her on should contain the following entries:
       machine1
       system1	gordon
       host3

See Also
       hosts.equiv(5), ttys(5)
       Introduction to Networking and Distributed System Services

rhosts(5)