Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers need to zip all the files excluding todays file Post 302532512 by Skrynesaver on Tuesday 21st of June 2011 06:26:02 AM
Old 06-21-2011
The find command has a -mtime option which allows you specify a max or min last modification time of files to be reported.

I would be inclined to do this in 2 sweeps, though I'm sure someone will offer a better method, so I'd do something like
WARNING: Untested code, replace the gzip and rm commands with 'echo "We would zip $i" ' and 'echo "We would delete $i" ' first to ensure it does what you require
Code:
for i in $(find /var/myapp/logs/ -mtime +1 | grep -vE '\.gz$')
   do
   gzip $i
done
for i in $(find /var/myapp/logs/ -mtime +30)
   do
      rm $i
done

this assumes that the log rollover will happen within a 24 hour period.

Last edited by Skrynesaver; 06-21-2011 at 07:35 AM.. Reason: Added warning in case OP tried command without testing

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

unzip .zip file and list the files included in the .zip archive

Hello, I am trying to return the name of the resulting file from a .zip archive file using unix unzip command. unzip c07212007.cef7081.zip Archive: c07212007.cef7081.zip SecureZIP for z/OS by PKWARE inflating: CEP/CEM7080/PPVBILL/PASS/G0063V00 I used the following command to unzip in... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: oracledev
5 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

listing files excluding files from control file

I have a directory named Project.I have a control file which contains valid list of files.I would like list the files from directory Project which contains files other than listed in the control file. Sample control file: TEST SEND SFFFILE CONTL The directory contains followign... (15 Replies)
Discussion started by: ukatru
15 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

zip all of files except last file

hi, I try to write a script to zip archivelog files in arch fold except not zip last archivelog file since it database may be still using the last file here is my script. when I run the script, I get error messages. could you please advise/correct my script in detail what it could be wrong, I am... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: percvs88
9 Replies

4. AIX

ZIP multiple files and also specify size of zip file

I have to zip many pdf files and the size of zip file must not exceed 200 MB. When size is more than 200 MB then multiple zip files needs to be created. How we can achieve this in UNIX? I have tried ZIP utility but it takes a lot of time when we add individual pdfs by looping through a... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: tom007
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Count for only todays files.

Hi, I unable to find the direct command get the total count for the below files with today date. ls -lrt c90.txt n5.txt t1.txt k3.txt h9.txt s1.txt n2.txt a123.txt -rw-rw-r-- kkk klkl 980 Apr 26 19:00 c90.txt -rw-rw-r-- kkk klkl 80 Apr 26 19:00 n5.txt -rw-rw-r-- kkk klkl 12890 Apr 26... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: onesuri
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Zip Multiple files to One .zip file in AIX system

Hi I have a requirement in unix shell where I need to zip multiple files on server to one single .zip file. I dont see zip command in AIX and gzip command not doing completely what I want. One I do .zip file, I should be able to unzip in my local Computer. Here is example what I want... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: RAMA PULI
9 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Append string to all the files inside a directory excluding subdirectories and .zip files

Hii, Could someone help me to append string to the starting of all the filenames inside a directory but it should exclude .zip files and subdirectories. Eg. file1: test1.log file2: test2.log file3 test.zip After running the script file1: string_test1.log file2: string_test2.log file3:... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ravi Kishore
4 Replies

8. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

How can we Zip multiple files created on the same date into one single zip file.?

Hi all i am very new to shell scripting and need some help from you to learn 1)i have some log files that gets generated on daily basis example: i have abc_2017_01_30_1.log ,2017_01_30_2.log like wise so i want to zip this 4 logs which are created on same date into one zip folder. 2)Post zipping... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: b.saipriyanka
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How can we Zip multiple files created on the same date into one single zip file.?

Hi all i am very new to shell scripting and need some help from you to learn 1)i have some log files that gets generated on daily basis example: i have abc_2017_01_30_1.log ,2017_01_30_2.log like wise so i want to zip this 4 logs which are created on same date into one zip folder. 2)Post zipping... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: b.saipriyanka
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find todays files

I am trying to find todays files only in the "root directories like /etc, /opt etc. I do not want to search in my home directory or any of its subdirectories. That's hard because a directory listing does not show the year? -rw------- 1 andy andy 22487 Oct 12 13:40 .xsession-errors ... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: drew77
8 Replies
FAXCRON(8)						      System Manager's Manual							FAXCRON(8)

NAME
faxcron - HylaFAX routine maintenance script SYNOPSIS
/usr/sbin/faxcron [ -n ] [ -l lastrun ] DESCRIPTION
faxcron is a command script that does routine upkeep tasks in a HylaFAX spooling directory hierarchy. This script is intended to be invoked from cron(8) on behalf of the fax user (often the ``fax'' user is uucp) once a day, with the standard output sent by mail to the HylaFAX administrator. For example, the following crontab might be set up for the fax user: 25 23 * * * sh /usr/sbin/faxcron | mail FaxMaster The faxcron script does the following work: o report statistics for facsimile transmitted since the last time faxcron was run. o report statistics for facsimile transmitted in the past week. o report statistics for facsimile received since the last time faxcron was run. o report statistics for facsimile received in the past week. o report any recent calls that failed suspiciously and return the associated trace log; o purge data that is 30 days or older from the remote machine information directory; o delete information that is 30 days or older from session trace log files; o remove files from the tmp directory that are older than 1 day; o remove files in the received facsimile queue that are 7 days or older; o report sites that are currently having jobs rejected; and o force all session log files to be owned by the fax user and kept with protection mode 644. OPTIONS
-n Forces faxcron to run without updating any files. -l lastrun Forces the notion of the last time that faxcron was run to be lastrun. The value of lastrun is a date and time string of the form ``MM/DD/YY HH:MM'' (the date(1) format string ``%D %H:%M''). -info n Set the expiration time for data in the info database to be n days. -log n Set the expiration time for session log data to be n days. -rcv n Set the expiration time for files in the received facsimile queue to be n days. -tmp n Set the expiration time for files in the tmp directory to be n days. -mode m Set the file protection mode for session logs to m (a command line argument to chmod(1)). NOTES
This script requires nawk(1) or gawk(1) and a date (1) program that supports the ``+format'' option. If session logs are to be kept private this script must be modified to filter out sensitive information such as calling card numbers. (It should also be run with ``-mode 0600'' so that session log files are not publicly readable.) FILES
/var/spool/hylafax spooling area /var/spool/hylafax/status/lastrun timestamp of last run /usr/sbin/xferfaxstats for generating transmit statistics /usr/sbin/recvstats for generating receive statistics /var/spool/hylafax/tmp/faxcronXXXX temporary file for truncating session logs /var/spool/hylafax/tmp/faxlogXXXX temporary file for logs of failed calls SEE ALSO
cron(8), faxq(8), faxgetty(8), faxsend(8), xferfaxstats(8), recvstats(8), hylafax-server(5) May 12, 1996 FAXCRON(8)