Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Merging all (48) CSV files from a directory Post 302532326 by alister on Monday 20th of June 2011 03:45:03 PM
Old 06-20-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corona688
Code:
                # Print out every file, ignoring first two lines
                tail "$FILE" -n +3

I believe the OP is interested in merging like lines in files in a manner congruent to a paste(1) or join(1), and not cat(1). My understanding is that none of the lines in any file need to be skipped and that the first comma-delimited field is a key (although since all files use the same order, a solution may not need to inspect it) which needs to be removed from all but the first file's line to avoid redundant fields in each line in the final output.

Regards,
Alister

---------- Post updated at 03:45 PM ---------- Previous update was at 03:38 PM ----------

Perhaps something along these lines:
Code:
paste *.csv | sed 's/<tab>[^,]*//g'

Where <tab> represents a literal tab character and I have assumed that there are no tabs in your source files. If there are, you can choose a suitable delimiter by informing paste with the -d option and using it instead of a tab in the sed command.

Regards,
Alister
This User Gave Thanks to alister For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Merging files belonging to same date in a directory

Hi, I want to merge files which belong to the same date in a directory. For ex: The below two files are modified on 24 Apr 2007. SystemOut.log SystemOut_07.04.24_19.46.40.log The merged file should be of the format SystemOut.log.2007.04.24 (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rkaarthikeyan4u
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Merging 2 .CSV files in Unix

I need a little help as I am a complete novice at scripting in unix. However, i am posed with an issue...:eek: i have two csv files in the following format@ FILE1.CSV: HEADER HEADER Header , , HEADER 001X ,,200 002X ,,300 003X ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: chachabronson
6 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Merging files to create CSV file

Hi, I have different files of the same type, as: Time: 100 snr: 88 perf: 10 other: 222 Each of these files are created periodically. What I need to do is to merge all of them into one but having the following form: (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ravendark
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Merging two CSV files by 3 primary keys (columns)

Hi there! I have the following problem: I have a set of files called rates_op_yyyyddmm with the format below (which corresponds to the file rates_op_20090130) 30-JAN-2009,ED,FEB09,C,96.375,,,0,,,,,,2.375,,,,,, 30-JAN-2009,ED,FEB09,C,96.5,,,0,,,,,,2.25,,,,,,... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Pep Puigvert
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Matching lines across multiple csv files and merging a particular field

I have about 20 CSV's that all look like this: "","","","","","","","","","","","","","","",""What I've been told I need to produce is the exact same thing, but with each file now containing the start_code from every other file where the email matches. It doesn't matter if any of the other... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Demosthenes
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Merging Very large CSV files in Unix

Hi, I have two very large CSV files, which I want to merge (equi-join) based on a key (column). One of the file (say F1) would have ~30 MM records and 700 columns. The other file (~f2) would have same # of records and lesser columns (say 50). I want to create an output file joining on a... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: student_007
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with merging two CSV files

Hi, I have following 2 CSV files file1.txt A1,B1,C1,D1,E1 A2,B2,C2,D2,E2 A3,B3,C3,D3,E3 .... file2.txt A1,B1,P1,Q1,R1,S1,T1,U1 A1,B1,P2,Q2,R2,S2,T2,U2 A1,B1,P3,Q3,R3,S3,T3,U3 A2,B2,X1,Y1,Z1,I1,J1,K1 A2,B2,X2,Y2,Z2,I2,J2,K2 A2,B2,X3,Y3,Z3,I3,J3,K3 A2,B2,X4,Y4,Z4,I4,J4,K4... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: learnoutmore99
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Merging fields in CSV

Hi experts, I have a csv file which has one field (ID) repeated multiple times with corresponding other field values. I need to convert this file in a format where for a ID all other values has to be present in single field. For Eg : Here in below file ID 1 is repeated 3 times with different... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: bharathbangalor
7 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

How to zip csv files having specific pattern in a directory using UNIX shell script?

I have files in a Linux directory . Some of the file is listed below -rw-rw-r--. 1 roots roots 0 Dec 23 02:17 zzz_123_00000_A_1.csv -rw-rw-r--. 1 roots roots 0 Dec 23 02:18 zzz_121_00000_A_2.csv -rw-rw-r--. 1 roots roots 0 Dec 23 02:18 zzz_124_00000_A_3.csv drwxrwxr-x. 2 roots roots 6 Dec 23... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Balraj
4 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Check for null values in a columns. I have dozen of CSV files in a directory.

Hi Folks, I'm trying to write a simple file sanity check script. I have a directory with dozen CSV files containing id,edname,firstname,lastname,suffix,email. I like to write a awk script to check if first field contain a number and is not empty. and fields number 3,4 & 6 are not empty and... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: dc34684
3 Replies
PASTE(1)						    BSD General Commands Manual 						  PASTE(1)

NAME
paste -- merge corresponding or subsequent lines of files SYNOPSIS
paste [-s] [-d list] file ... DESCRIPTION
The paste utility concatenates the corresponding lines of the given input files, replacing all but the last file's newline characters with a single tab character, and writes the resulting lines to standard output. If end-of-file is reached on an input file while other input files still contain data, the file is treated as if it were an endless source of empty lines. The options are as follows: -d list Use one or more of the provided characters to replace the newline characters instead of the default tab. The characters in list are used circularly, i.e., when list is exhausted the first character from list is reused. This continues until a line from the last input file (in default operation) or the last line in each file (using the -s option) is displayed, at which time paste begins selecting characters from the beginning of list again. The following special characters can also be used in list: newline character tab character \ backslash character Empty string (not a null character). Any other character preceded by a backslash is equivalent to the character itself. -s Concatenate all of the lines of each separate input file in command line order. The newline character of every line except the last line in each input file is replaced with the tab character, unless otherwise specified by the -d option. If '-' is specified for one or more of the input files, the standard input is used; standard input is read one line at a time, circularly, for each instance of '-'. EXIT STATUS
The paste utility exits 0 on success, and >0 if an error occurs. EXAMPLES
List the files in the current directory in three columns: ls | paste - - - Combine pairs of lines from a file into single lines: paste -s -d ' ' myfile Number the lines in a file, similar to nl(1): sed = myfile | paste -s -d ' ' - - Create a colon-separated list of directories named bin, suitable for use in the PATH environment variable: find / -name bin -type d | paste -s -d : - SEE ALSO
cut(1), lam(1) STANDARDS
The paste utility is expected to be IEEE Std 1003.2 (``POSIX.2'') compatible. HISTORY
A paste command appeared in Version 32V AT&T UNIX. BSD
June 25, 2004 BSD