Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: compare two characters
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting compare two characters Post 302532308 by bismillah on Monday 20th of June 2011 02:44:38 PM
Old 06-20-2011
compare two characters

how can I compare two characters in shell script?

similar to C++ code:

char ch='a';
if(ch=='a')
{
do_something;
}

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

characters ô ö à é è

Hi! I have a file with some characters with accent. I don't find the solution to translate ô ö as o à as a é è as e ç as c With the command tr or sed? I can't write sed 's/ô/o/g' because the copy/paste ô don't work. Thanks! (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Castelior
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Compare two arrays in sh or compare two fields

I want a soultion to compare two arrays in sh with an easy way.I want a solution to synchrose users between different AIX servers where no NIS is available. All users are meant to be same on all 10 servers. So the approach is to consider first server as master user repository and whatever the users... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: rijeshpp
0 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

UrgentPlease: compare 1 value with file values eliminating special characters

Hi All, I have file i have values like ---- 112 113 109 112 109 I have another file cat supplierDetails.txt ------------------------- 112|MIMUS|krishnaveni@google.com 113|MIMIRE|krishnaveni@google.com 114|MIMCHN|krishnaveni@google.com 115|CEL|krishnaveni@google.com... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: kittusri9
10 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to replace characters with random characters

I've got a file (numbers.txt) filled with numbers and I want to replace each one of those numbers with a new random number between 0 and 9. This is my script so far: #!/bin/bash rand=$(($RANDOM % 9)) sed -i s//$rand/g numbers.txtThe problem that I have is that it replaces each number with just... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: hellocatfood
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Require compare command to compare 4 files

I have four files, I need to compare these files together. As such i know "sdiff and comm" commands but these commands compare 2 files together. If I use sdiff command then i have to compare each file with other which will increase the codes. Please suggest if you know some commands whcih can... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: nehashine
6 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace special characters with Escape characters?

i need to replace the any special characters with escape characters like below. test!=123-> test\!\=123 !@#$%^&*()-= to be replaced by \!\@\#\$\%\^\&\*\(\)\-\= (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: laknar
8 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed replacing specific characters and control characters by escaping

sed -e "s// /g" old.txt > new.txt While I do know some control characters need to be escaped, can normal characters also be escaped and still work the same way? Basically I do not know all control characters that have a special meaning, for example, ?, ., % have a meaning and have to be escaped... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: ijustneeda
11 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Compare data - Match first column and compare second

Hi guys, looking for some help with a way to compare data in two files but with some conditions. example, File 1 consists of site1,10.1.1.1 site2,20.2.2.2 site3,30.3.3.3 File 2 contains site1,l0.1.1.1 site2,50.1.1.1 site3,30.3.3.3 site4,40.1.1.1 I want to be able to match the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mutley2202
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove first 2 characters and last two characters of each line

here's what im trying to do. i have a file containing lines similar to this: data.txt: 1hsRmRsbHRiSFZNTTA1dlEyMWFkbU5wUW5CSlIyeDFTVU5SYjJOSFRuWmpia0ZuWXpKV2FHTnRU 1lKUnpWMldrZFZaMG95V25oYQpSelEyWTBka2QyRklhSHBrUjA1b1kwUkJkd3BOVXpWM1lVaG5k... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: SkySmart
5 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Outputting characters after a given string and reporting the characters in the row below --sed

I have this fastq file: @M04961:22:000000000-B5VGJ:1:1101:9280:7106 1:N:0:86 GGGGGGGGGGGGCATGAAAACATACAAACCGTCTTTCCAGAAATTGTTCCAAGTATCGGCAACAGCTTTATCAATACCATGAAAAATATCAACCACACCA +test-1 GGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGCCGGGGGFF,EDFFGEDFG,@DGGCGGEGGG7DCGGGF68CGFFFGGGG@CGDGFFDFEFEFF:30CGAFFDFEFF8CAF;;8... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: Xterra
10 Replies
LDAP_COMPARE(3) 					     Library Functions Manual						   LDAP_COMPARE(3)

NAME
ldap_compare, ldap_compare_s - Perform an LDAP compare operation LIBRARY
OpenLDAP LDAP (libldap, -lldap) SYNOPSIS
#include <ldap.h> int ldap_compare_s(ld, dn, attr, value) LDAP *ld; char *dn, *attr, *value; int ldap_compare(ld, dn, attr, value) LDAP *ld; char *dn, *attr, *value; DESCRIPTION
The ldap_compare_s() routine is used to perform an LDAP compare operation synchronously. It takes dn, the DN of the entry upon which to perform the compare, and attr and value, the attribute type and value to compare to those found in the entry. It returns an LDAP error code, which will be LDAP_COMPARE_TRUE if the entry contains the attribute value and LDAP_COMPARE_FALSE if it does not. Otherwise, some error code is returned. The ldap_compare() routine is used to perform an LDAP compare operation asynchronously. It takes the same parameters as ldap_compare_s(), but returns the message id of the request it initiated. The result of the compare can be obtained by a subsequent call to ldap_result(3). ERRORS
ldap_compare_s() returns an LDAP error code which can be interpreted by calling one of ldap_perror(3) and friends. ldap_compare() returns -1 if something went wrong initiating the request. It returns the non-negative message id of the request if things went ok. BUGS
There is no way to compare binary values, but there should be. SEE ALSO
ldap(3), ldap_error(3) ACKNOWLEDGEMENTS
OpenLDAP is developed and maintained by The OpenLDAP Project (http://www.openldap.org/). OpenLDAP is derived from University of Michigan LDAP 3.3 Release. OpenLDAP 2.1.X RELEASEDATE LDAP_COMPARE(3)