Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Can't access network interfaces anymore [Kinda urgent] Post 302532257 by lukinhasb on Monday 20th of June 2011 11:13:16 AM
Old 06-20-2011
Can't access network interfaces anymore [Kinda urgent]

Hello,

I've bought an semi-dedicated (cloud computing) server, but yesterday I had to change my IP, so I tried this with PuTTY:

Went to

/etc/network/interfaces

And changed

iface eth0 inet static

To

iface eth0 inet dhcp

Hoping to get an dynamic IP

Then I restarted my network with:

/etc/init.d/networking restart

And then I lost my connection to the host, I've contacted the support team of the company that hosts it (actually it's hosted in Softlayer, but I've bought it from other vendor, 'cause I'm from Brazil), and he said he tried this:

/etc/network/interfaces:1

in the host computer, but didn't help... He wants to format the computer, but I would lost all my datas, and this is just unthinkable... What could I do, please? I'm desperate!

Thanks... Waiting anxiously for answers...

[I kinda now this isn't the best place to post this, but I'm desperate... Please understand]

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

HOW-TO Retrieve all network interfaces??!

Yes. But just wait a bit. How to do it via system calls? I'm just a newbie in Unix\Linux\Solaris e.t.c. programming. Can anyone help me? I need an advice probably how to do it or may be what API to read... :) Please, help... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: LocalStorm
2 Replies

2. IP Networking

Network interfaces problem

Hi, I have problems with my SCO unix network interfaces. Intel integrated adapter was failing, so I installed new one - 3COM adapter into free PCI slot. Installed driver using SCO Software manager - successfully Added new Network adapter using SCO Network configuration manager - successfully... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: vilius
0 Replies

3. SCO

Network interfaces problem

Hi, I have problems with my SCO unix network interfaces. Intel integrated adapter was failing, so I installed new one - 3COM adapter into free PCI slot. Installed driver using SCO Software manager - successfully Added new Network adapter using SCO Network configuration manager - successfully... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: vilius
0 Replies

4. AIX

NIM w/ two network interfaces

Hi all, this is my first post on this forum. My main problem is this: I have a NIM server that I am trying to configure two interfaces on. One interface is for an internal Admin VLAN, the other is so that the server can use SUMA to pull updates. The problem is that I need help w/ the routing.... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: snakernetb
0 Replies

5. AIX

NIM w/ two network interfaces

Hi all, this is my first post on this forum. My main problem is this: I have a NIM server that I am trying to configure two interfaces on. One interface is for an internal Admin VLAN, the other is so that the server can use SUMA to pull updates. The problem is that I need help w/ the routing.... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: snakernetb
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to modify ramdisk size,kinda urgent !!!

Hi all, I wanted to know how to modify the size of the ramdisk? I mean am manipulating a live cd ,for which the file am manipulating is within a ramdisk now due to size constraints i am unable to play around with some stuff.... currently the size of the ram disk is 64M... I would like to... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: wrapster
1 Replies

7. Solaris

Network Interfaces

I got second IOU in my M5000 but not able bring internal network interfcae .. ike i don't get link on those 2 interfaces .. and the same network cable plugged in PCI network card it works like a charm Is there any special way to enable the internal IOU interfaces or i have bad nics ? (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: fugitive
8 Replies

8. Debian

/etc/network/interfaces problem

Hello i am configuring a debian lenny sever ,/etc/network/interfaces is modified so that eth1 takes a static IP address then i save it wq! then i restart the networking , /etc/init.d/networking restart . but after reboot ,the file is reset ,note that the interfaces had by defauklt IPv6 address... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: learn82
5 Replies

9. Solaris

Telnet access is not available anymore

Hi Folks, My telnet access to the server is not available anymore. I have found that when I execute >telnet IP, the login prompt for username/password entry is not displayed. Cursor blinks in a empty line and I dont see the prompt to enter my username. It hungs in this state and not possible... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ekorgur
1 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

/etc/network/interfaces

i need a one liner command that writes in /var/log/net.log the date when i connect to the network and when i disconect ..i know that i need to write somethin in /etc/network/interfaces but idk what ! please help (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: g0dlik3
1 Replies
TRUNCATE(1)                                                        User Commands                                                       TRUNCATE(1)

NAME
truncate - shrink or extend the size of a file to the specified size SYNOPSIS
truncate OPTION... FILE... DESCRIPTION
Shrink or extend the size of each FILE to the specified size A FILE argument that does not exist is created. If a FILE is larger than the specified size, the extra data is lost. If a FILE is shorter, it is extended and the extended part (hole) reads as zero bytes. Mandatory arguments to long options are mandatory for short options too. -c, --no-create do not create any files -o, --io-blocks treat SIZE as number of IO blocks instead of bytes -r, --reference=RFILE base size on RFILE -s, --size=SIZE set or adjust the file size by SIZE bytes --help display this help and exit --version output version information and exit The SIZE argument is an integer and optional unit (example: 10K is 10*1024). Units are K,M,G,T,P,E,Z,Y (powers of 1024) or KB,MB,... (pow- ers of 1000). SIZE may also be prefixed by one of the following modifying characters: '+' extend by, '-' reduce by, '<' at most, '>' at least, '/' round down to multiple of, '%' round up to multiple of. AUTHOR
Written by Padraig Brady. REPORTING BUGS
GNU coreutils online help: <http://www.gnu.org/software/coreutils/> Report truncate translation bugs to <http://translationproject.org/team/> COPYRIGHT
Copyright (C) 2017 Free Software Foundation, Inc. License GPLv3+: GNU GPL version 3 or later <http://gnu.org/licenses/gpl.html>. This is free software: you are free to change and redistribute it. There is NO WARRANTY, to the extent permitted by law. SEE ALSO
dd(1), truncate(2), ftruncate(2) Full documentation at: <http://www.gnu.org/software/coreutils/truncate> or available locally via: info '(coreutils) truncate invocation' GNU coreutils 8.28 January 2018 TRUNCATE(1)