Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Linux How to reclaim the space which i used to increse the swap space on Xen, Post 302532221 by apm on Monday 20th of June 2011 09:26:01 AM
Old 06-20-2011
How to reclaim the space which i used to increse the swap space on Xen,

Hi,
i have done a blunder here, i increased the swap space on Xen5.6 server machine using below steps :-
HTML Code:
1056  dd if=/dev/zero of=/root/myswapfile bs=1M count=1024
 1057  ls -l /root/myswapfile
 1058  chmod 600 /root/myswapfile
 1059  mkswap /root/myswapfile
 1060  swapon /root/myswapfile
but it has used all the space on /root and hence to recover the space on /root i removed /root/myswapfile using rm -rf. But still i see the space is full and swapon give below output:-

Filename Type Size Used Priority
/root/myswapfile\040(deleted) file 968764 0 -1

Can any help me here please, how to resolve this and get my system to previous state?

Thanks in advance....

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

SWAP SPACE

All, I am using SOLARIS 7. I have formated my hard drive to consist of only 150MB of swap space. This isn't enough considering I am running Oracle. How do I create additional swap space? Please list sources or commands. PS mkswap doesn't work on my machine. ( I have swap and... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: SmartJuniorUnix
5 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

pageing space vs swap space

Hello, I would like to know if there is any difference between the pageing space and the swap space. Thank you in advance. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: VeroL
1 Replies

3. AIX

swap space / paging space

how do you get the paging space reduced without rebooting the machine ? the os is aix (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: aaronh
2 Replies

4. Linux

swap space

Hi, I want to know how can i free the swap space if it is completely full, 0 mb remaining, (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: manoj.solaris
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Reclaim deleted disk space

I have a disk space issue on one of my unix servers. it is showing 98% full.. i found the offending folder and removed it. but i have not reclaimed the disk space. is there another command that i need ? thank you in advance for any assistance. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: JanSP
4 Replies

6. Solaris

Swap Space

Could someone please explain how you know how much swap space you have on your system. See below: # swap -s total: 8225048k bytes allocated + 4863488k reserved = 13088536k used, 4008032k available # swap -l swapfile dev swaplo blocks free /dev/dsk/c3t0d0s1 32,25 16... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jamba1
2 Replies

7. Solaris

Swap space

Dear All, I have a swap space of 16G available in Sol 10. I have allocated it as a seperate file system. But when the RAM Is full used , the system gets rebooted and the swap is not being used,. Any reasons for this. Rgds Rj (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: jegaraman
5 Replies

8. Red Hat

Swap space not getting used

CENT OS 5.8 server running with a huge java application which uses up all my ram (4GB) and requires excess of atleast 2GB.But the swap is not getting used up((8GB) of swap space left unused) leading a wierd error and stopping application to stop working. Any one here dealt with the same kind of... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: shiek.kaleem
2 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

CentOS 6 ran out of space, need to reclaim it

Hello everyone, I am having an issue here with CentOS release 6.6 (Final) that shows all of the space used up, but I can't tell where the space went. Seemingly I am using up 100%, according to df -h Filesystem Size Used Avail Use% Mounted on... (27 Replies)
Discussion started by: DannyBoyCentOS
27 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Safe way to shrink lvm vg_*-lv_swap partition and reclaim freed space on Linux?

Hello, # lsblk NAME MAJ:MIN RM SIZE RO TYPE MOUNTPOINT sr0 11:0 1 1024M 0 rom sda 8:0 0 38.2G 0 disk ├─sda1 8:1 0 500M 0 part /boot └─sda2 8:2 ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: centosadmin
2 Replies
swapmem_on(5)							     OBSOLETE							     swapmem_on(5)

NAME
swapmem_on - OBSOLETE kernel tunable parameter DESCRIPTION
The tunable is obsolete. Processes will always be allowed to use pseudo-swap space if it is available. In previous versions of HP-UX, system configuration required sufficient physical swap space for the maximum possible number of processes on the system. This is because HP-UX reserves swap space for a process when it is created, to ensure that a running process never needs to be killed due to insufficient swap. This was difficult, however, for systems needing gigabytes of swap space with gigabytes of physical memory, and those with workloads where the entire load would always be in core. This tunable was created to allow system swap space to be less than core memory. To accomplish this, a portion of physical memory is set aside as "pseudo-swap" space. While actual swap space is still available, processes still reserve all the swap they will need at fork or execute time from the physical device or file system swap. Once this swap is completely used, new processes do not reserve swap, and each page which would have been swapped to the physical device or file system is instead locked in memory and counted as part of the pseudo-swap space. WARNINGS
Installation of optional kernel software, from HP or other vendors, may cause changes to tunable parameter values. After installation, some tunable parameters may no longer be at the default or recommended values. For information about the effects of installation on tun- able values, consult the documentation for the kernel software being installed. For information about optional kernel software that was factory installed on your system, see at AUTHOR
was developed by HP. Tunable Kernel Parameters swapmem_on(5)