Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Sub directories containing maximum files Post 302532196 by adurga on Monday 20th of June 2011 08:09:11 AM
Old 06-20-2011
Sub directories containing maximum files

Hi All,

I have this command coded in C Shell to get the top ten sub directories in the order of number of files they contain.
Code:
find $parent_dir -type d -exec filecount {} \; | sort -nr | head -10

But it does not seem to show any output. Can someone please help me out in correcting this (preferably one liner command am expecting).

Thanks
-Durga

Last edited by Franklin52; 06-20-2011 at 09:15 AM.. Reason: Please use code tags for data end code samples.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Maximum files in a Directory

Does Solaris impose limits on : - the maximum number of files a directory can have, - total file size in a directory If there is such limits, how can I can check for each? Thanks...:confused: (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: deaniyoer
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

ls - maximum number of files

what is the maximum number ls can list down (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: karnan
6 Replies

3. Linux

maximum file & directories

Dear friends, How many maximum number of files and directories can be created in linux system. Thanks.. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: karthigayan
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

List directories and sub directories recursively excluding files

Hi, Please help me, how to get all the direcotries, its sub directories and its sub directories recursively, need to exclude all the files in the process. I wanted to disply using a unix command all the directories recursively excluding files. I tried 'ls -FR' but that display files as... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: pointers
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to store files/directories in different directories!!

Hi legends, I am writing a script, in that my requirement is, if all the fill types stored in one directory from that we need to separate different different directories based on the file types. for example in a directory(anish). 5 different types files 1- directory 2- .txt files 2- .sh... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: anishkumarv
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to list all the files, directories and sub-directories in the current path except one directory?

Can anyone come up with a unix command that lists all the files, directories and sub-directories in the current directory except a folder called log.? Thank you in advance. (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Manjunath B
7 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extracting files having maximum timestamp

Hi , I'm using Ksh 88 I've the following files in a directory with YearMonthDate (Ex:20130601) YDT:FILE1:20130601 YDT:FILE1:20130615 YDT:FILE2:20130601 YDT:FILE2:20130615 YDT:FILE3:20130601 YDT:FILE3:20130615 And i need the files having maximum timestamp , Means i need to display ... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: smile689
8 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Archiving and moving files into directories, creating directories, etc.

how can i move "dataName".sql.gz into a folder called 'database' and then move "$fileName".tar.gz * .htaccess into a folder called 'www' with the entire gzipped file being "$fileName".tar.gz? Is this doable or overly complex. so mydemo--2015-03-23-1500.tar.gz > database -... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: wyclef
5 Replies

9. Debian

Problem with maximum files and directories

Hi, I'm using Kali linux, I think it's a debian linux ? I'm trying to create a folder in which there'll be 256 folders, and in each of this folders there will also be 256 folders. Then in each terminate folders I want to create 4096 files. It will look like /dir/aa/aa/aaa.txt,... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ganon551
3 Replies
CPANPLUS::Shell::Default(3pm)				 Perl Programmers Reference Guide			     CPANPLUS::Shell::Default(3pm)

NAME
CPANPLUS::Shell::Default - the default CPANPLUS shell SYNOPSIS
### loading the shell: $ cpanp # run 'cpanp' from the command line $ perl -MCPANPLUS -eshell # load the shell from the command line use CPANPLUS::Shell qw[Default]; # load this shell via the API # always done via CPANPLUS::Shell my $ui = CPANPLUS::Shell->new; $ui->shell; # run the shell $ui->dispatch_on_input( input => 'x'); # update the source using the # dispatch method ### when in the shell: ### Note that all commands can also take options. ### Look at their underlying CPANPLUS::Backend methods to see ### what options those are. cpanp> h # show help messages cpanp> ? # show help messages cpanp> m Acme # find acme modules, allows regexes cpanp> a KANE # find modules by kane, allows regexes cpanp> f Acme::Foo # get a list of all releases of Acme::Foo cpanp> i Acme::Foo # install Acme::Foo cpanp> i Acme-Foo-1.3 # install version 1.3 of Acme::Foo cpanp> i <URI> # install from URI, like ftp://foo.com/X.tgz cpanp> i <DIR> # install from an absolute or relative directory cpanp> i 1 3..5 # install search results 1, 3, 4 and 5 cpanp> i * # install all search results cpanp> a KANE; i *; # find modules by kane, install all results cpanp> t Acme::Foo # test Acme::Foo, without installing it cpanp> u Acme::Foo # uninstall Acme::Foo cpanp> d Acme::Foo # download Acme::Foo cpanp> z Acme::Foo # download & extract Acme::Foo, then open a # shell in the extraction directory cpanp> c Acme::Foo # get a list of test results for Acme::Foo cpanp> l Acme::Foo # view details about the Acme::Foo package cpanp> r Acme::Foo # view Acme::Foo's README file cpanp> o # get a list of all installed modules that # are out of date cpanp> o 1..3 # list uptodateness from a previous search cpanp> s conf # show config settings cpanp> s conf md5 1 # enable md5 checks cpanp> s program # show program settings cpanp> s edit # edit config file cpanp> s reconfigure # go through initial configuration again cpanp> s selfupdate # update your CPANPLUS install cpanp> s save # save config to disk cpanp> s mirrors # show currently selected mirrors cpanp> ! [PERL CODE] # execute the following perl code cpanp> b # create an autobundle for this computers # perl installation cpanp> x # reload index files (purges cache) cpanp> x --update_source # reload index files, get fresh source files cpanp> p [FILE] # print error stack (to a file) cpanp> v # show the banner cpanp> w # show last search results again cpanp> q # quit the shell cpanp> e # exit the shell and reload cpanp> /plugins # list available plugins cpanp> /? PLUGIN # list help test of <PLUGIN> ### common options: cpanp> i ... --skiptest # skip tests cpanp> i ... --force # force all operations cpanp> i ... --verbose # run in verbose mode DESCRIPTION
This module provides the default user interface to "CPANPLUS". You can start it via the "cpanp" binary, or as detailed in the SYNOPSIS. BUG REPORTS
Please report bugs or other issues to <bug-cpanplus@rt.cpan.org<gt>. AUTHOR
This module by Jos Boumans <kane@cpan.org>. COPYRIGHT
The CPAN++ interface (of which this module is a part of) is copyright (c) 2001 - 2007, Jos Boumans <kane@cpan.org>. All rights reserved. This library is free software; you may redistribute and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. SEE ALSO
CPANPLUS::Shell::Classic, CPANPLUS::Shell, cpanp perl v5.18.2 2014-01-06 CPANPLUS::Shell::Default(3pm)