Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting .sh file To rename existing file and copy new file Post 302532162 by maheshkaranjkar on Monday 20th of June 2011 05:46:33 AM
Old 06-20-2011
Power .sh file To rename existing file and copy new file

Hi All,

I am very new to shell scripting .
In my current task i want to create .sh file that will rename the existing file with appending _bu in it. And then copy new file .
e.g if i have file linuxFirst.java then i want to rename it to linuxFirst_bu.java ..Then want replace with latest linuxFirst.java.

Please guide me in this Task .

Thanks In advance

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need Help for Adding Three new columns in existing file from fatching data from file

not required this time (36 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sandeep_Malik
36 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

copy/rename file as date() unix/shell

File.jpg I want to copy and rename this as 2008-12-02.jpg I tried this copy File.jpg date '%y-%m-%d-%H:%M:%S'.jpg This doesnt work.... what do i do? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: hdogg
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash copy file contents into an existing file at a specific location

Hi all I need to copy the entire contents of one file into an existing file at a specific location. I know the exact line number where I need to put it. It appears I would use either sed or awk to do this, but I have been unsuccessful so far: File A line 1 line 2 line 3 line 4 ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: gshepherd7
6 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Copy 1 file 5000 times and Rename each +1

Hi, Found lots of stuff that is close but no cigar... I have a file ie. a.txt, and I want to copy it to another directory 5000 times and call it: a1.txt a2.txt ... a5000.txt Struggling to put a loop together in this new world of AIX. please include full script for me to understand... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: terry2009
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

copy and rename file..

hi all, I have one config folder and updates folder.updates folder contains file tmp_2.0_20201208_45.xml and config folder contains file tmp.xml.When the tmp_2.0_20201208_45.xml file is copied in the config folder the name of this file is changed in config folder again as tmp.xml(old... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: shubhig15
8 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need help in writitng a script to rename file name and copy to other folder

Hi All, My requirement is as follows: A file (say abc) will be having list of the .txt file names. I need to read this abc file line by line and rename the .txt file names inside it and move them to other folder/path. Eg: abc ------- file1.txt file2.txt file3.txt Output (should... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: pavan.yadalla
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with add existing file name as new data column in new output file

Input File 1 cat S1.txt MI0043 2731 miR-1 Input File 2 cat S4.txt MI006 310 CiR-1 MI057 10 CiR-24 MI750 5 CiR-24 Desired Output File 1 cat S1.txt.out MI0043 2731 miR-1 S1.txt Desired Output File 2 cat S4.txt.out MI006 310 CiR-1 S4.txt (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: perl_beginner
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need help in creating a file in required format form another existing file

I have a text file with contents like this: a,b,c, d~e,f,g,h~i,j ,k,l,m~n,o,p,q~ I need to convert this file into this format unix shell script commands: a,b,c,d~ e,f,g,h~ i,j,k,l,m~ n,o,p,q~ as you may have noticed, I need to retain the ~ signs at the end. Any help is greatly... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: harsha1238
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to create file and file content based existing information?

Hi Gurus, I am SQL developer and new unix user. I need to create some file and file content based on information in two files. I have one file contains basic information below file1 and another exception file file2. the rule is if "zone' and "cd" in file1 exists in file2, then file name is... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: Torhong
13 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash to copy file 3 times and rename based on another file

In the below bash I am trying to copy the only text file (always only one) in /home/cmccabe/Desktop/list/QC/metrics.txt and rename each of the 3 text files according to /home/cmccabe/Desktop/test/list.txt using lines 3, 4 ,5. This format (that is list.txt) is always 5 lines. Thank you :). ... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmccabe
12 Replies
mren(1) 						      General Commands Manual							   mren(1)

Name
       mren - rename an existing MSDOS file

Note of warning
       This  manpage  has been automatically generated from mtools's texinfo documentation, and may not be entirely accurate or complete.  See the
       end of this man page for details.

Description
       The mren command is used to rename or move an existing MS-DOS file or subdirectory. Its syntax is:

mren [-voOsSrRA] sourcefile targetfile

Mren renames an existing file on an MS-DOS file system.

In verbose mode, Mren displays the new filename if the name supplied is invalid.

If the first syntax is used (only one source file), and if the target name doesn't contain any slashes or colons, the  file  (or  subdirec-
       tory) is renamed in the same directory, instead of being moved to the current mcd directory as would be the case with mmove. Unlike the MS-
       DOS version of REN, mren can be used to rename directories.

See Also
       Mtools' texinfo doc

Viewing the texi doc
       This manpage has been automatically generated from mtools's texinfo documentation. However, this process is only  approximative,  and  some
       items, such as crossreferences, footnotes and indices are lost in this translation process.  Indeed, these items have no appropriate repre-
       sentation in the manpage format.  Moreover, not all information has been translated into the manpage version.  Thus I strongly  advise  you
       to use the original texinfo doc.  See the end of this manpage for instructions how to view the texinfo doc.

*      To generate a printable copy from the texinfo doc, run the following commands:

./configure; make dvi; dvips mtools.dvi

*      To generate a html copy,	run:

./configure; make html

A premade html can be found at `http://www.gnu.org/software/mtools/manual/mtools.html'

*      To generate an info copy (browsable using emacs' info mode), run:

./configure; make info

The  texinfo  doc looks most pretty when printed or as html.  Indeed, in the info version certain examples are difficult to read due to the
       quoting conventions used in info.

mtools-4.0.18							      09Jan13								   mren(1)