Sponsored Content
Operating Systems OS X (Apple) Can I erase and start my mac with unix command Post 302531929 by ccff22290 on Saturday 18th of June 2011 04:25:54 PM
Old 06-18-2011
Can I erase and start my mac with unix command

I made a tragic error and erased the extensions manager from my IMac. Now, I can't get the computer to boot up. It just stays on the gray screen. I've tried using the open apple+s method, which brings up the command console (not sure if I've got the lingo down right), and I've tried everything, but nothing works. I need to be able to reset the system so I can go in and reinstall the os (os X Leopard). Any advice here? I'm like a blind person wandering the streets of NY in search of a needle here.

Thanks in advance

6 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Is there an unrecoverable erase command?

I am "retiring" an old unix box and need to erase all sensitive data so that it can not be recovered. Does anyone know a unix command for this? (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: snyderpa
5 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

stty erase e command

I'm not familiar with the stty command. What would "stty erase e" do to my system and what kind of problems would it create? Also, how would I undo this command? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: CEngel0327
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

How to erase tape data in unix V4.0 D?

hi! my computer is... System: Digital Personal Workstation 433a Processor: Digital Alpha 21164, 433 MHz Memory: 64 MB OS: Digital Unix Console (SRM), Digital Unix V4.0D how to erase tape data? I tried with mt erase but no success. My tape is 120m. So, how can i erase tape? ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: akz
5 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Turn python script into an installed UNIX command (Mac OS X)

Okay so i have a script i wrote in python. I want to turn this script into an INSTALLED COMMAND to run in terminal. Right now i run it like this in terminal... $ python myscriptname.py or $ ./myscriptname.py but i want to be able to run it like this in terminal... $ myscriptname ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: cbreiny
3 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Unix command for a dummy... where do i start?

I have never used Unix before and only heard of it at the start of the week. But ny new job requires me to use the Unix/Linux command, and i need an introduction for a total beginer... are there any intro videos or books you would recomend? :confused: (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: tomvcarter
2 Replies

6. AIX

How to use dd command to erase the data in disk

how to use dd command to erase the data in disk, such as hdisk2? (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: rainbow_bean
9 Replies
quotacheck(8)						      System Manager's Manual						     quotacheck(8)

Name
       quotacheck - file system quota consistency checker

Syntax
       /etc/quotacheck [ -v ] [ -f ] filesystem ...
       /etc/quotacheck [ -v ] -a

Description
       The  command examines each file system, builds a table of current disc usage, and compares this table against that stored in the disc quota
       file for the file system.  If detects any inconsistencies, it updates both the quota file and the current system copies	of  the  incorrect
       quotas.	Inconsistencies occur only if an active file system is checked.

Normally,  returns a warning if it cannot find a valid quota file.  If you use the option, creates a quota file automatically and then per-
       forms its normal functions.

If you use the flag in place of any file system name, checks all the file systems listed in to be read-write with disc quotas.

Normally reports only modified quotas. If the option is supplied, will indicate the calculated disc quotas for each user  on  a	particular
       file system.

The  command  expects each file system to be checked to have a quota file named in the root directory.  If none is present, will ignore the
       file system.

The command is normally run at boot time from the file, before enabling disc quotas with For further information, see

The command accesses the raw device in calculating the actual disc usage for each user.	Thus, the file systems checked should be quiescent
       while is running.

Files
       Default file systems

See Also
       quota(2), setquota(2), quotaon(8)
       ``Disk Quotas in a UNIX Environment,'' ULTRIX Supplementary Documents, Volume 3: System Manager

quotacheck(8)