Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting How to split file based on subtitle Post 302531928 by drl on Saturday 18th of June 2011 04:23:49 PM
Old 06-18-2011
Hi.

There is a perl code that performs like csplit (q.v.), but with alternation allowed (because it's a perl code). So to split a file into sections, one could do something like this, (assuming that the code is downloaded to a local file ppt-split). Here is the driver code, see the URL if you are interested in this or other perl work-alikes:
Code:
#!/usr/bin/env bash

# @(#) s1	Demonstrate perl version of split with regular expressions.

split=./ppt-split
# Utility functions: print-as-echo, print-line-with-visual-space, debug.
# export PATH="/usr/local/bin:/usr/bin:/bin"
pe() { for _i;do printf "%s" "$_i";done; printf "\n"; }
pl() { pe;pe "-----" ;pe "$*"; }
db() { ( printf " db, ";for _i;do printf "%s" "$_i";done;printf "\n" ) >&2 ; }
db() { : ; }
C=$HOME/bin/context && [ -f $C ] && $C $split
v1="cpansearch.perl.org/src/CWEST/ppt-0.14/html/commands/split/split.lafferty"
pe "http://${v1}"

FILE=${1-data1}

pl " Input data file $FILE:"
cat $FILE

rm -f x*
pl " Results, single heading, number:"
$split -p 'string' $FILE
ls -lgG x*

rm -f x*
pl " Results, multi-heading, number|string:"
$split -p 'number|string' $FILE
ls -lgG x*

pl " Sample of one of the files, x.aac:"
cat x.aac

exit 0

producing:
Code:
% ./s1

Environment: LC_ALL = C, LANG = C
(Versions displayed with local utility "version")
OS, ker|rel, machine: Linux, 2.6.26-2-amd64, x86_64
Distribution        : Debian GNU/Linux 5.0.8 (lenny) 
GNU bash 3.2.39
ppt-split - ( local: RepRev 1.2, ./ppt-split, 2011-06-18 )
http://cpansearch.perl.org/src/CWEST/ppt-0.14/html/commands/split/split.lafferty

-----
 Input data file data1:
string
able
baker
charlie
number
string
dog
easy
fox
number

-----
 Results, single heading, number:
-rw-r--r-- 1  0 Jun 18 15:14 x.aaa
-rw-r--r-- 1 39 Jun 18 15:14 x.aab
-rw-r--r-- 1 33 Jun 18 15:14 x.aac

-----
 Results, multi-heading, number|string:
-rw-r--r-- 1  0 Jun 18 15:14 x.aaa
-rw-r--r-- 1 26 Jun 18 15:14 x.aab
-rw-r--r-- 1 13 Jun 18 15:14 x.aac
-rw-r--r-- 1 20 Jun 18 15:14 x.aad
-rw-r--r-- 1 13 Jun 18 15:14 x.aae

-----
 Sample of one of the files, x.aac:
number

This kind of thing -- acquiring and downloading utilities that are usually more general than single-line solutions -- is not for everyone, but it is a useful technique that can be used to add to one's personal / private / professional toolset ... cheers, drl

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Split file based on field

Hi I have a large file 2.6 million records and I am trying to split the file based on last column. I am doing awk -F"|" '{ print > $NF }' filename1 After around 1000 splits it gives me a error awk: can't open file 3332332423 input record number 1068, file filename1 source... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: s_adu
6 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Split the file based on date value

Hi frnds, I have flat file as . Say : output-file1.txt Output-file2.txt (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Gopal_Engg
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Split the file based on column

Hi, I have a file sample_1.txt (300k rows) which has data like below: * Also each record is around 64k bytes 11|1|abc|102553|125589|64k bytes of data 10|2|def|123452|123356|...... 13|2|geh|144351|121123|... 25|4|fgh|165250|118890|.. 14|1|abc|186149|116657|......... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: sol_nov
6 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Split the file based on pattern

Hi , I have huge files around 400 mb, which has clob data and have diffeent scenarios: I am trying to pass scenario number as parameter and and get required modified file based on the scenario number and criteria. Scenario 1: file name : scenario_1.txt ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sol_nov
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Split file based on column

i have file1.txt asdas|csada|130310|0423|A1|canberra sdasd|sfdsf|130426|2328|A1|sydney Expected output : on eaceh third and fourth colum, split into each two characters asdas|csada|13|03|10|04|23|A1|canberra sdasd|sfdsf|13|04|26|23|28|A1|sydney (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: radius
10 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Split file based on records

I have to split a file based on number of lines and the below command works fine: split -l 2 Inputfile -d OutputfileMy input file contains header, detail and trailor info as below: H D D D D TMy split files for the above command contains: First File: H DSecond File: ... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ajay Venkatesan
11 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to Split File based on String?

hi , The scenario is like this, i have a large text files (max 5MB , about 5000 file per day ), Inside almost each line of this file there is a tag 3100.2.22.1 (represent Call_Type) , i need to generate many filess , each one with distinct (3100.2.22.1 Call_Type ) , and one more file to... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: OTNA
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Split File based on different conditions

I need to split the file Conditions: Ignore any record that either starts with 1 or 9 Split the file at position 404 , if position 404 is abc or def then write all the records in a file > File 1 , the remaining records should go in to a file > File 2 Further I want to split the... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: protech
7 Replies

9. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Split one file to many based on pattern

Hello All, I have records in a file in a pattern A,B,B,B,B,K,A,B,B,K Is there any command or simple logic I can pull out records into multiple files based on A record? I want output as File1: A,B,B,B,B,K File2: A,B,B,K (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: deal1dealer
9 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Split the File based on Size

I have a file that is about 7 GB in size. The requirement is I should split the file equally in such a way that the size of the split files is less than 2Gb. If the file is less than 2gb, than nothing needs to be done. ( need to done using shell script) Thanks, (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: rudoraj
4 Replies
split(n)						       Tcl Built-In Commands							  split(n)

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

NAME
split - Split a string into a proper Tcl list SYNOPSIS
split string ?splitChars? _________________________________________________________________ DESCRIPTION
Returns a list created by splitting string at each character that is in the splitChars argument. Each element of the result list will con- sist of the characters from string that lie between instances of the characters in splitChars. Empty list elements will be generated if string contains adjacent characters in splitChars, or if the first or last character of string is in splitChars. If splitChars is an empty string then each character of string becomes a separate element of the result list. SplitChars defaults to the standard white-space char- acters. EXAMPLES
Divide up a USENET group name into its hierarchical components: split "comp.lang.tcl.announce" . -> comp lang tcl announce See how the split command splits on every character in splitChars, which can result in information loss if you are not careful: split "alpha beta gamma" "temp" -> al {ha b} {} {a ga} {} a Extract the list words from a string that is not a well-formed list: split "Example with {unbalanced brace character" -> Example with {unbalanced brace character Split a string into its constituent characters split "Hello world" {} -> H e l l o { } w o r l d PARSING RECORD-ORIENTED FILES Parse a Unix /etc/passwd file, which consists of one entry per line, with each line consisting of a colon-separated list of fields: ## Read the file set fid [open /etc/passwd] set content [read $fid] close $fid ## Split into records on newlines set records [split $content " "] ## Iterate over the records foreach rec $records { ## Split into fields on colons set fields [split $rec ":"] ## Assign fields to variables and print some out... lassign $fields userName password uid grp longName homeDir shell puts "$longName uses [file tail $shell] for a login shell" } SEE ALSO
join(n), list(n), string(n) KEYWORDS
list, split, string Tcl split(n)