Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: OpenLDAP setup
Operating Systems Solaris OpenLDAP setup Post 302531687 by bitlord on Friday 17th of June 2011 12:32:54 PM
Old 06-17-2011
OpenLDAP setup

At work I'm been givin the task to move are backend servers from NIS to LDAP. We have mostly Solaris 10 servers, as well as a few Redhat servers. I am going to use openLDAP as the LDAP server. I'm looking for a good how to guide on setting up the openLDAP server. Most of the docs I have found seem to fall apart around the configuring of the server and ldapclient setup. Most of the guilds are for Linux servers and Solaris seems to have more steps. I would also like to find a active forum for LDAP question.

If anyone has any experience with his I would love to get some guidance. I installed openLDAP with a package from sunfreeware.com. At this point I just want LDAP to work and I'm not concerned with security, I can lock it down after the fact.

I'm having two issues that I can tell right now .I'm having trouble getting the “ldapclient init” command to work. When I try to start the LDAP with svcs says it is maintenance mode. I'm thinking that I have an error in one of the files I have edited.

Any help would be great.

7 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

OpenLDAP and Apache

Hello! I'm starting to panic here! I'm trying to authorize Subversion (via apache) users at my company here via LDAP. Sure everything works when just authorizing users with require valid-user But! That is not what I'm looking for, I wish to Authorize by membership in specifik groups... This... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Esaia
0 Replies

2. AIX

openLDAP with Aix

hello I have a P570 with 3 partitions. These partitions are available, since 1 year. So there are a lot of users, files, etc, on these partition I must now install an openldap with Debian to manage all these users. But several pb: on LDAP, we are 1 iud for user and one home directory, 1 gid... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: pascalbout
0 Replies

3. AIX

NIM server setup on etherchannel setup environment

I know that IBM's official stance is that NIM does not work on etherchannel environment, but has anyone able to get around it? I'm working on a p5-590 LPAR system, and the NIM master and clients are all on the same frame. Any help is appreciated. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: pdtak
1 Replies

4. Red Hat

Need OpenLDAP Help

Hi, all: I'm studying for the RHCE and have hit the section on configuring an OpenLDAP client. I'd like to practice this, but I can't get an OpenLDAP server set up. I followed the directions in RedHat's Deployment Guide, and it looks like the server is up and running, but I can't get the... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: rjlohman
0 Replies

5. Solaris

Openldap configuration

I m using Intel solaris 10 version . I m trying to install openldap and used several documents and package versions . But every time I got CC PATH error and while I solved the CC issue , I got Barkley DB error . :wall: Is there any perticular site from where I can install and configure... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sanjee
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

OpenLDAP and Solaris10 problems

Hi All, I have configured OpenLDAP sucessfully and set following results indicating that the user is loaded on the LDAP database test5:/ $ cat /etc/passwd | grep admin777 test5:/ $ getent passwd admin777 admin777:x:5011:1000::/:/bin/bash test5:/ $ id admin777 uid=5011(admin777)... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: esawyja
0 Replies

7. Red Hat

Openldap 2.4.31 replication

Hi, I have done setup for openldap master and slave. Its working fine and replicating also. But it is working only with plane text password in syncrepl . How we can use encrypted password here also like we are using in rootpw ? Below portion is working. syncrepl rid=101 ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Priy
3 Replies
lpset(1M)						  System Administration Commands						 lpset(1M)

NAME
lpset - set printing configuration in /etc/printers.conf or other supported databases SYNOPSIS
lpset [-n system | nisplus | fnsldap] [-x] [ [-D binddn] [-w passwd] [-h ldaphost]] [-a key=value] [-d key] destination DESCRIPTION
The lpset utility sets printing configuration information in the system configuration databases. Use lpset to create and update printing configuration in /etc/printers.conf, or printers.org_dir (NIS+). See nsswitch.conf(4) and printers.conf(4). Only a superuser or a member of Group 14 may execute lpset. OPTIONS
The following options are supported: -n system|nisplus|ldap Create or update the configuration information for the destination entry in /etc/printers.conf, printers.org_dir (NIS+), or LDAP printer contexts. system specifies that the information is created or updated in /etc/printers.conf. nisplus specifies that the infor- mation is created or updated in the printers.org_dir NIS+ table. ldap specifies that the information is written to an LDAP server. See NOTES. If -n is not specified, system is the default. -x Remove all configuration for the destination entry from the database specified by the -n option. -a key=value Configure the specified key=value pair for the destination. See printers.conf(4) for information regarding the specification of key=value pairs. -d key Delete the configuration option specified by key for the destination entry. See printers.conf(4) for information regarding the speci- fication of key and key=value pairs. -D binddn Use the distinguished name (DN) binddn to bind to the LDAP directory server. -w passwd Use passwd as the password for authentication to the LDAP directory server. -h ldaphost Specify an alternate host on which the LDAP server is running. This option is only used when ldap is specified as the naming service. If this option is not specified, the default is the current host system. OPERANDS
The following operand is supported: destination Specifies the entry in /etc/printers.conf, printers.org_dir, or LDAP, in which to create or modify information. destina- tion names a printer of class of printers. See lpadmin(1M). Each entry in printers.conf describes one destination. Spec- ify destination using atomic names. POSIX-style destination names are not acceptable. See printers.conf(4) for information regarding the naming conventions for atomic names and standards(5) for information regarding POSIX. EXAMPLES
Example 1: Removing All Existing Printing Configuration Information The following example removes all existing printing configuration information for destination dogs from /etc/printers.conf: example% lpset -x dogs Example 2: Setting a key=value Pair The following example sets the user-equivalence =true key=value pair for destination tabloid in the NIS+ context: example% lpset -n nisplus -a user-equivalence=true tabloid Example 3: Setting a key=value Pair in LDAP example% lpset -n ldap -h ldapl.xyz.com -D "cn=Directory Manager" -w passwd -a key1=value1 printer1 EXIT STATUS
The following exit values are returned: 0 Successful completion. non-zero An error occurred. FILES
/etc/printers.conf System configuration database. printer.org_dir (NIS+) NIS+ version of /etc/printers.conf. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWpcu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Stability Level |Stable | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
ldap(1), lp(1), lpc(1B), lpq(1B), lpr(1B), lpstat(1), ldapclient(1M), lpadmin(1M), lpget(1M), nsswitch.conf(4), printers(4), print- ers.conf(4), attributes(5), standards(5) System Administration Guide: Naming and Directory Services (DNS, NIS, and LDAP) NOTES
If the ldap database is used, the printer administrator should be mindful of the following when updating printer information. 1. Because the domain information for the printer being updated is extracted from the ldapclient(1M) configuration, the LDAP server being updated must host the same domain that is used by the current ldapclient(1M) server. 2. If the LDAP server being updated is a replica LDAP server, the updates will be referred to the master LDAP server and completed there. The updates might be out of sync and not appear immediatedly, as the replica server may not have been updated by the master server. For example, a printer that you deleted by using lpset may still appear in the printer list you display with lpget until the replica is updated from the master. Replica servers vary as to how often they are updated from the master. See System Administration Guide: Advanced Administration for information on LDAP server replication. 3. Although users can use the LDAP command line utilities ldapadd(1) and ldapmodify(1) to update printer entries in the directory, the preferred method is to use lpset. Otherwise, if the ldapadd and ldapmodify utilities are used, the administrator must ensure that the printer-name attribute value is unique within the ou=printers container on the LDAP server. If the value is not unique, the result of modifications done using lpset or the Solaris Print Manager, printmgr(1M) may be unpredictable. SunOS 5.10 23 May 2003 lpset(1M)