Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users Linux is kernel and solaris is operating system Post 302531252 by jlliagre on Thursday 16th of June 2011 08:02:30 AM
Old 06-16-2011
An operating system, at least a Unix like one, is made of a kernel which interfaces the hardware, a C library, the libc which interfaces the kernel and the userland, standard utilities and libraries and and a set of applications usually including a graphic environment.

Linux is the kernel
Gnu/Linux is a very minimal Unix like OS that almost all Linux distributions are leveraging on.
Distributions includes in addition to Gnu/Linux, things like KDE or Gnome, Firefox, Apache, MySQL, package management, whatever.

Solaris is then similar to a Linux distribution. It includes a kernel (SunOS 5.x), libraries, utilities, one or more graphic environments, applications, etc ...

6 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Installing Solaris Operating System.

hello there ! I have a question about Sun O.S. if i will buy the Solaris Media Kit for Solaris 8 O.S , it will include Solaris server ? I want practise for System Administration, would i be able to do that with Solaris O.S ? I have windows me installed on my computer, if i will install... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: abidmalik
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Operating system LINUX

Write a C program that accepts 3 parameters. Each parameter indicates the quantity of product to be produced. Each product will be produced in different production line. Ready products will be placed in a buffer area located at the end of each production line. Packaging workers will pack the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: paradise
1 Replies

3. Homework & Coursework Questions

Operating system LINUX

Use and complete the template provided. The entire template must be completed. If you don't, your post may be deleted! 1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data: Write a C program that accepts 3 parameters. Each parameter indicates the quantity of product to be produced.... (1 Reply)
1 Replies

4. Homework & Coursework Questions

Operating system LINUX

Use and complete the template provided. The entire template must be completed. If you don't, your post may be deleted! 1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data: Write a C program that accepts 3 parameters. Each parameter indicates the quantity of product to be produced.... (0 Replies)
0 Replies

5. Linux

Linux Operating system concepts

hi guys, i got job recently in a company which provide a product for data backup and data recovery... as dis product is wrriten in c++ am workin in c++.. now am under training and i want to learn abt Operating System concepts and OS programming using c and c++. i know basic c and c++ programming... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: senthil.march
3 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How much take space Linux operating system?

Hi Guys, I have a PC (laptop), where ram is 1 GB, hard disk is 400 GB, Now in my PC has window7 & oracle 10g, suppose if we now installed linux then will my system work or we should remove window7 now, please let me know that which linux version is take less space in PC. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: aaditya321
3 Replies
LIBC(7) 						     Linux Programmer's Manual							   LIBC(7)

NAME
libc - overview of standard C libraries on Linux DESCRIPTION
The term "libc" is commonly used as a shorthand for the "standard C library", a library of standard functions that can be used by all C programs (and sometimes by programs in other languages). Because of some history (see below), use of the term "libc" to refer to the stan- dard C library is somewhat ambiguous on Linux. glibc By far the most widely used C library on Linux is the GNU C Library <http://www.gnu.org/software/libc/>, often referred to as glibc. This is the C library that is nowadays used in all major Linux distributions. It is also the C library whose details are documented in the rel- evant pages of the man-pages project (primarily in Section 3 of the manual). Documentation of glibc is also available in the glibc manual, available via the command info libc. Release 1.0 of glibc was made in September 1992. (There were earlier 0.x releases.) The next major release of glibc was 2.0, at the beginning of 1997. The pathname /lib/libc.so.6 (or something similar) is normally a symbolic link that points to the location of the glibc library, and exe- cuting this pathname will cause glibc to display various information about the version installed on your system. Linux libc In the early to mid 1990s, there was for a while Linux libc, a fork of glibc 1.x created by Linux developers who felt that glibc develop- ment at the time was not sufficing for the needs of Linux. Often, this library was referred to (ambiguously) as just "libc". Linux libc released major versions 2, 3, 4, and 5 (as well as many minor versions of those releases). For a while, Linux libc was the standard C library in many Linux distributions. However, notwithstanding the original motivations of the Linux libc effort, by the time glibc 2.0 was released, it was clearly superior to Linux libc, and all major Linux distributions that had been using Linux libc soon switched back to glibc. (Since this switch occurred over a decade ago, man-pages no longer takes care to document Linux libc details. Nevertheless, the history is visible in vestiges of information about Linux libc that remain in some manual pages, in particular, references to libc4 and libc5.) Other C libraries There are various other less widely used C libraries for Linux. These libraries are generally smaller than glibc, both in terms of fea- tures and memory footprint, and often intended for building small binaries, perhaps targeted at development for embedded Linux systems. Among such libraries are uClibc (http://www.uclibc.org/) and dietlibc (http://www.fefe.de/dietlibc/). Details of these libraries are gen- erally not covered by the man-pages project. SEE ALSO
syscalls(2), feature_test_macros(7), man-pages(7), standards(7) COLOPHON
This page is part of release 3.53 of the Linux man-pages project. A description of the project, and information about reporting bugs, can be found at http://www.kernel.org/doc/man-pages/. Linux 2012-08-05 LIBC(7)