Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Shift reminder system
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Shift reminder system Post 302531239 by panyam on Thursday 16th of June 2011 07:10:19 AM
Old 06-16-2011
So , you want a script which runs and checks only the "Date" part from the file and mail to the user . ( the sample mail something like this : Raja -> Shift1 ) ?

6 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

shift command

There is an error when i am trying to use the shift command in this way: ($1 = -d, $2 = 123, $3 = -c etc etc) for $arg in $@ do case $arg in "-d") shift; (so that the $2 will become the $arg now) (and while it loop the 2nd time,) ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: AkumaTay
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

shift command

Hi Folks, In shell scripting the maximum no. of command line parameters becomes 9(Am i right). If we want to get more than 9 parameters we use the shift command. Even here there are two possibilities. 1. Without the use of variables - The arguments are lost and the lost no. is equal to the... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Nisha
6 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

shift not working

Hi, I wrote one script, in between script needs to use 10th and 11th positional parameters, that time i used "shift". Here i am facing the below find problem, ./DataCount.sh: cannot shift I tried 1) I have read man pages for shift 2) Before but * and ** 3) Simple shift with out giving... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Nagapandi
4 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

A Shift into UNIX

Hi, Firstly, I did a search for this question both on this site and on the internet and have not been able to find a suitable answer that is not general in nature. I have always been a Windows user. I use my girl friend's mac every now and then, but I always come back to windows. For a... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mearex
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Use of Shift command

Hello Expert Can any one please explain what is the use of shift command in general terms: set -- $(ls -t) shift rm -Rf $* what is the use of shift command over here. Thanks a lot for your help (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: aks_1902
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shift command help

#!/bin/bash hostname=$1; shift for hostname in $1 do ping $hostname done I want to run the above script as hostname.sh yahoo.com google.com cnn.com. I want to shift each hostname to $1. How can do that with above code as currently it's not shifting. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: scj2012
5 Replies
calendar(1)							   User Commands						       calendar(1)

NAME
calendar - reminder service SYNOPSIS
calendar [-] DESCRIPTION
The calendar utility consults the file calendar in the current directory and writes lines that contain today's or tomorrow's date anywhere in the line to standard output. Most reasonable month-day dates such as Aug. 24, august 24, 8/24, and so forth, are recognized, but not 24 August or 24/8. On Fridays and weekends "tomorrow" extends through Monday. calendar can be invoked regularly by using the crontab(1) or at(1) commands. When the optional argument - is present, calendar does its job for every user who has a file calendar in his or her login directory and sends them any positive results by mail(1). Normally this is done daily by facilities in the UNIX operating system (seecron(1M)). If the environment variable DATEMSK is set, calendar will use its value as the full path name of a template file containing format strings. The strings consist of conversion specifications and text characters and are used to provide a richer set of allowable date formats in dif- ferent languages by appropriate settings of the environment variable LANG or LC_TIME; see environ(5). Seestrftime(3C) for the list of allowable conversion specifications. EXAMPLES
Example 1: Possible contents of a template The following example shows the possible contents of a template: %B %eth of the year %Y %B represents the full month name, %e the day of month and %Y the year (4 digits). If DATEMSK is set to this template, the following calendar file would be valid: March 7th of the year 1989 <Reminder> ENVIRONMENT VARIABLES
See environ(5) for descriptions of the following environment variables that affect the execution of calendar: LC_CTYPE, LC_TIME, LC_MES- SAGES, NLSPATH, and TZ. EXIT STATUS
0 Successful completion. >0 An error occurred. FILES
/etc/passwd system password file /tmp/cal* temporary files used by calendar /usr/lib/calprog program used to determine dates for today and tomorrow ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWesu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
at(1), crontab(1), mail(1), cron(1M), ypbind(1M), strftime(3C), attributes(5), environ(5) NOTES
Appropriate lines beginning with white space will not be printed. Your calendar must be public information for you to get reminder service. calendar's extended idea of ``tomorrow'' does not account for holidays. The - argument works only on calendar files that are local to the machine; calendar is intended not to work on calendar files that are mounted remotely with NFS. Thus, `calendar -' should be run only on diskful machines where home directories exist; running it on a disk- less client has no effect. calendar is no longer in the default root crontab. Because of the network burden `calendar -' can induce, it is inadvisable in an environ- ment running ypbind(1M) with a large passwd.byname map. If, however, the usefulness of calendar outweighs the network impact, the super- user may run `crontab -e' to edit the root crontab. Otherwise, individual users may wish to use `crontab -e' to edit their own crontabs to have cron invoke calendar without the - argument, piping output to mail addressed to themselves. SunOS 5.10 1 Feb 1995 calendar(1)