Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: finding the nth match
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers finding the nth match Post 302531053 by countryStyle on Wednesday 15th of June 2011 06:31:49 PM
Old 06-15-2011
lol....don't beat yourself up over getting it right the first time. Your answered showed that you are intuitive and knew the simple solution and other possible ones. Me as the guy with a lot of windows scripting experience knew I was not going to jerk everyone around by not providing the data because the answer was simple

A customer goes into a hardware store and asks for a hammer....the sales guys says "what type of hammer? We have 120 different kinds!" and proceeds to name at least a dozen......the customer looks all frazzled and leaves......"all I wanted to do was put a nail in a board".

I am very happy I got my hammer Smilie When I have a something that requires more thinking I will be sure to post data.

thanks!

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Finding nth occurrence in line and replacing it

Hi, I have several files with data that have to be imported to a database. These files contain records with separator characters. Some records are corrupt (2 separators are missing) and I need to correct them prior to importing them into the db. Example: ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: stresing
5 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Getting filename for Nth line pattern match

Hi, I have many scripts in particular directory. And few of the scripts have exit 0 in second line. Now i wanted to list out the scripts name which has the exit 0 in its second line I tried many options , but i can not get the filename along with the nth line pattern match :mad:. Can anyone... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: puni
14 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Finding nth line across multiple files

I have several files (around 50) that have the similar format. I need to extract the 5th line from every file and output that into a text file. So far, I have been able to figure out how to do it for a single file: $ awk 'NR==5' text1.txt > results.txt OR $ sed -n '5p' text1.txt > results.txt... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: oriqin
6 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Finding Nth Column

Please help me how can I display every nth field present in a "|" delimited file. Ex: If a have a file with data as a|b|c|d|e|f|g|h|k|l|m|n I want to display every 3rd feild which means the output should be c f k n Please help me. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ngkumar
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Printing nth and n+1th line after a pattern match

Hi , I want to print the nth and n+1 lines from a file once it gets a pattern match. For eg: aaa bbb ccc ddd gh jjjj If I find a match for bbb then I need to print bbb as well as 3rd and 4th line from the match.. Please help..Is it possible to get a command using sed :) (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: saj
6 Replies

6. Answers to Frequently Asked Questions

Finding the nth Particular Week in a Month – shell script

I see lot of request posted in internet to find out the day of nth week in a Month. example: what is the date of 3rd Sunday in October What is the date of 2nd Friday in June 2012 what is the date of 4th Saturday in January 2011..etc.. The below shell script is used to find out the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: itkamaraj
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem getting Nth match in sed

Hi all, I'm trying to create a sed command to get the Nth instance of an XML tag in a string, but thus far I can only ever seem to get the last one. Given an XML string: <Wrap><GrayLevel>a</GrayLevel><GrayLevel>b</GrayLevel></Wrap> I tried to do this on the command line to get each... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Zel2008
7 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to display when nth line match a pattern?

Hi All, I have sample of listing as following Database 2 entry: Database alias = PXRES Database name = PXRES Local database directory = /db2/data1/db2phnx Database release level = d.00 Comment ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ckwan
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed : replace Nth match in a file

I have a situation where a file "config.txt" looks like this Servername: OS: Serername: OS: Servername: OS: .... .... ... Servername: OS: looking for the sed syntax to replace the "Nth" occurrence of Servername (i would apply the same logic to OS as well), want to replace the Nth... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: alldbest
4 Replies

10. AIX

Print nth previous line after match

Please help me print nth line after match awk or sed one line command. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sushma123
3 Replies
TALK(1) 						      General Commands Manual							   TALK(1)

NAME
talk - talk to another user SYNOPSIS
talk person [ ttyname ] DESCRIPTION
Talk is a visual communication program which copies lines from your terminal to that of another user. If you wish to talk to someone on you own machine, then person is just the person's login name. If you wish to talk to a user on another host, then person is of the form : host!user or host.user or host:user or user@host though host@user is perhaps preferred. If you want to talk to a user who is logged in more than once, the ttyname argument may be used to indicate the appropriate terminal name. When first called, it sends the message Message from TalkDaemon@his_machine... talk: connection requested by your_name@your_machine. talk: respond with: talk your_name@your_machine to the user you wish to talk to. At this point, the recipient of the message should reply by typing talk your_name@your_machine It doesn't matter from which machine the recipient replies, as long as his login-name is the same. Once communication is established, the two parties may type simultaneously, with their output appearing in separate windows. Typing control L will cause the screen to be reprinted, while your erase, kill, and word kill characters will work in talk as normal. To exit, just type your interrupt character; talk then moves the cursor to the bottom of the screen and restores the terminal. Permission to talk may be denied or granted by use of the mesg command. At the outset talking is allowed. Certain commands, in particular nroff and pr(1) disallow messages in order to prevent messy output. FILES
/etc/hosts to find the recipient's machine /var/run/utmp to find the recipient's tty SEE ALSO
mesg(1), who(1), mail(1), write(1) BUGS
The version of talk(1) released with 4.3BSD uses a protocol that is incompatible with the protocol used in the version released with 4.2BSD. 4.2 Berkeley Distribution November 27, 1996 TALK(1)