Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: how to get stderr
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers how to get stderr Post 302530968 by DGPickett on Wednesday 15th of June 2011 12:58:23 PM
Old 06-15-2011
Well, do you have /dev/stderr on your UNIX?

If there is no stdout, it is simple:
Code:
zvar=$( your_command_and_args 2>&1 )

This User Gave Thanks to DGPickett For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

stderr

in fprint(stderr, "lkjalsdi\n"); what does stderr mean? thanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: dell9
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

stderr redirection

Does anyone know away of redirecting the stderr for a bourne or korn shell script to a file. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: blakmk
5 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

STDERR output

Hi, Need some help here on a script I'm writing. I know that STDERR is normally done is this manner: script 2>stderr.out However, if I wanted to output the stderr from a rsh command how do I do that? Example: su - username -c "rsh $hostname /opt/gilberteu/scriptname" 1>stdout... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: gilberteu
5 Replies

4. BSD

Awstats stderr solution

Hello! Firts of all, sorry fo my poor english, but i hope you'll undestand me :) Ok, let's go to the problem.... I have a lot of awstats crontabs, and i have one mail,where i get daily and weekly output of all servers that i administrate, now it's problem that i get to his mail every time,... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: flashm3
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Redirecting stderr problem

% ls -ld /usr /foo ls: /foo: No such file or directory drwxr-xr-x 14 root wheel 512 May 18 02:49 /usr % ls -ld /usr /foo 1>/dev/null/ /dev/null/: Not a directory. % ls -ld /usr /foo 2>/dev/null/ /dev/null/: Not a directory. ^^Why why why doesn't this work for me. Furthermore, where is... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: phpfreak
7 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Append stderr

Hi everybody. I was used to redirect stderr to a file in this way, calling a generic script:./myScript &> output.logBut now I need something more sophisticated...Inside a bash script I launch an executable in this way:${command} >> "${globalLogFile}"So I redirect the stdout into globalLogFile.... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: canduc17
14 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

stderr/stdout

Can somebody explain to me why the diff output is not going to stderr? Yet when I issue a diff from the command line the return code is -ne 1. I am guessing diff always writes to stdout??? Is there away I can force the difff to write to stderr USING THE CURRENT template. If possible, I... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: BeefStu
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to redirect stderr to a file as well

Hello everyone, I'm a nooby in Linux, and I need some help. I have a shell script like this: echo "Start of script" > ../My_Log_Dir/Script_Name.log .. cp ../My_DataIn/File.txt ../My_DataOut/ 2>> ../My_Log_Dir/Script_Name.log rc=$? .. echo "End of Script" >>... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: H.Faria
5 Replies

9. Solaris

can't get stderr port

Hi Experts, i have a solaris 9 OS and i get the following message repeated many time in my /var/adm/messages : Oct 31 16:30:44 baobab rsh: can't get stderr port: Cannot assign requested address have you any idea how can i resolve this issue ??:confused: thanks for help (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: lid-j-one
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Doubt regarding stderr

Hi All, I am writing a shell script code. and i want the stderr to be send to a file and the stdout to be displayed in terminal. In my shell script code i use a read command to get data from user.read -r -p "Enter the type :" data and while i execute my script i use./my_script.sh 2>... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Vinoth R
4 Replies
Locale::Codes::LangFam(3pm)				 Perl Programmers Reference Guide			       Locale::Codes::LangFam(3pm)

NAME
Locale::Codes::LangFam - standard codes for language extension identification SYNOPSIS
use Locale::Codes::LangFam; $lext = code2langfam('apa'); # $lext gets 'Apache languages' $code = langfam2code('Apache languages'); # $code gets 'apa' @codes = all_langfam_codes(); @names = all_langfam_names(); DESCRIPTION
The "Locale::Codes::LangFam" module provides access to standard codes used for identifying language families, such as those as defined in ISO 639-5. Most of the routines take an optional additional argument which specifies the code set to use. If not specified, the default ISO 639-5 language family codes will be used. SUPPORTED CODE SETS
There are several different code sets you can use for identifying language families. A code set may be specified using either a name, or a constant that is automatically exported by this module. For example, the two are equivalent: $lext = code2langfam('apa','alpha'); $lext = code2langfam('apa',LOCALE_LANGFAM_ALPHA); The codesets currently supported are: alpha This is the set of three-letter (lowercase) codes from ISO 639-5 such as 'apa' for Apache languages. This is the default code set. ROUTINES
code2langfam ( CODE [,CODESET] ) langfam2code ( NAME [,CODESET] ) langfam_code2code ( CODE ,CODESET ,CODESET2 ) all_langfam_codes ( [CODESET] ) all_langfam_names ( [CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangFam::rename_langfam ( CODE ,NEW_NAME [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangFam::add_langfam ( CODE ,NAME [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangFam::delete_langfam ( CODE [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangFam::add_langfam_alias ( NAME ,NEW_NAME ) Locale::Codes::LangFam::delete_langfam_alias ( NAME ) Locale::Codes::LangFam::rename_langfam_code ( CODE ,NEW_CODE [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangFam::add_langfam_code_alias ( CODE ,NEW_CODE [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangFam::delete_langfam_code_alias ( CODE [,CODESET] ) These routines are all documented in the Locale::Codes::API man page. SEE ALSO
Locale::Codes The Locale-Codes distribution. Locale::Codes::API The list of functions supported by this module. http://www.loc.gov/standards/iso639-5/id.php ISO 639-5 . AUTHOR
See Locale::Codes for full author history. Currently maintained by Sullivan Beck (sbeck@cpan.org). COPYRIGHT
Copyright (c) 2011-2013 Sullivan Beck This module is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. perl v5.18.2 2013-11-04 Locale::Codes::LangFam(3pm)