Sponsored Content
Homework and Emergencies Homework & Coursework Questions Need help using find or locate with wildcards Post 302530934 by itkamaraj on Wednesday 15th of June 2011 11:26:51 AM
Old 06-15-2011
Code:
 find ~c12100 -type f \( -name "BOZO*123" -o -name "BOZO*456" \)

if you dont want to get the permission denied line, then you have look here

https://www.unix.com/unix-dummies-que...direction.html

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Wildcards in VI

I'm trying to delete lines from a large text file using VI. Every line that I am wanting to delete start with 'S' - all others do not. (A list of users) I've tried using * but doesn't seem to like it...any ideas... Doesn't have to be VI - but I'm better with VI than sed/awk. (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: peter.herlihy
8 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Difference between locate and find

I was wondering what the difference was between the two commands, I understand that locate won't search for files with certain permissions set. Are there any others? Thanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: camerja1
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

wildcards

when writing a shell script (bourne) and using a unix command like 'ls' is there anything special you need to do to use a wildcard (like *)? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: benu302000
3 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

ls with wildcards

ok, I'm trying to write a script file that lists files with specific elements in the name into a txt file, it looks like this ls s*.dat > file_names.txt can't figure out whats wrong with that line, any ideas? thanks in advance (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: benu302000
10 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

using find to locate hard and soft links with tar

I am digging for certain types of files in the current directory and all its sub-directories and archiving them with the following code: #! /usr/bin/ksh Archive=`date +%Y_%m_%d_%T` find . -type f \( -name \*\.ksh -o -name \*\.sql -o -name \*\.ini \) -print|xargs tar -cf... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: manthasirisha
4 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

difference of find,locate and whereis

hi guys, may i know the difference of find,locate and whereis ? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: cromohawk
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find string in list with wildcards

I need to add code to a shell script to find out if a string matches any item in a list, where the list can contain a wildcard character. For example, if I have the following list: ok_versions="03-02-4, 04-01-*" Then I want to compare a particular string to see if it matches any item in... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: Johan III
11 Replies

8. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Wildcards

These 2 websites do a GREAT job of explaining different types of wildcards. I learned about the categories of characters which I never knew about at all. GNU/Linux Command-Line Tools Guide - Wildcards GREP (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: cokedude
1 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

[Solved] Wildcards used in find, ls and grep commands

Platforms : Solaris 10 and RHEL 5.6 I always get double quotes , single quotes and asteriks mixed up for find, ls and grep commands. The below commands retrieve the correct results. But , unders stress , I get all these mixed up :mad: .So, i wanted to get a clear picture. Please check if... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: John K
7 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Find command and use of wildcards

greetings, below is the find command i am using for some filesystem maintenance: find /data/Engine \( -type d -name .snapshot -prune -o -type d -wholename "/data/Engine/*/CAE" \ -prune -o -type d -wholename "/data/Engine/*/CAD" -prune -o -name ".*.case" \)\ -mtime +365 -print0 -fls... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: crimso
5 Replies
URI::URL(3)						User Contributed Perl Documentation					       URI::URL(3)

NAME
URI::URL - Uniform Resource Locators SYNOPSIS
$u1 = URI::URL->new($str, $base); $u2 = $u1->abs; DESCRIPTION
This module is provided for backwards compatibility with modules that depend on the interface provided by the "URI::URL" class that used to be distributed with the libwww-perl library. The following differences exist compared to the "URI" class interface: o The URI::URL module exports the url() function as an alternate constructor interface. o The constructor takes an optional $base argument. The "URI::URL" class is a subclass of "URI::WithBase". o The URI::URL->newlocal class method is the same as URI::file->new_abs. o URI::URL::strict(1) o $url->print_on method o $url->crack method o $url->full_path: same as ($uri->abs_path || "/") o $url->netloc: same as $uri->authority o $url->epath, $url->equery: same as $uri->path, $uri->query o $url->path and $url->query pass unescaped strings. o $url->path_components: same as $uri->path_segments (if you don't consider path segment parameters) o $url->params and $url->eparams methods o $url->base method. See URI::WithBase. o $url->abs and $url->rel have an optional $base argument. See URI::WithBase. o $url->frag: same as $uri->fragment o $url->keywords: same as $uri->query_keywords o $url->localpath and friends map to $uri->file. o $url->address and $url->encoded822addr: same as $uri->to for mailto URI o $url->groupart method for news URI o $url->article: same as $uri->message SEE ALSO
URI, URI::WithBase COPYRIGHT
Copyright 1998-2000 Gisle Aas. perl v5.18.2 2012-02-11 URI::URL(3)