Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting for loop in awk script using ksh Post 302530913 by SteveDawe on Wednesday 15th of June 2011 10:44:08 AM
Old 06-15-2011
Thinks this is what you're after, each version does exactly the same as that shell snippet, but each time it removes one layer of default action that awk does for you to demonstrate how you can override different parts when you require more control.

Hope it's useful.

Code:
awk '1;' any_file
awk '{print;}' any_file
 awk '1==1{print;}' any_file
awk '{print $0;}' any_file
awk 'BEGIN {while(getline) print $0;}' any_file
awk 'BEGIN {while(getline l) print l;}' any_file
awk 'BEGIN {while(getline l<"any_file") print l;}'

Last edited by SteveDawe; 06-15-2011 at 12:12 PM.. Reason: oops, you didn't want the contents of the files

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

script ksh/awk/grep

How can I extract the 9th line of a text file. thanks vm.:confused: (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: hoang
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

passing variables to awk from ksh script

I'm trying to write a ksh script that uses awk, but I want to pass variables to awk. For example (not working): if ];then searchstr=$1 lsof -i | awk '{if($9~/SEARCHSTR/) print $2} SEARCHSTR=$searchstr' else echo "usage: $0 <search string>" fi I tried several options. Is it... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: rein
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

need help with simple awk/ksh script

I need help finding out why this script wont run. The chmod is okay, but i get an error saying that I need '&&' on line 5. (18 Replies)
Discussion started by: tefflox
18 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Awk in ksh shell script - help

Hello, Im a beginner. Im writing a ksh script with awk. Is it possible to assign the output of the awk to a shell variable? Like, shell_variable= awk '$1 == "shell" {abc= $2 }' /tmp/cust_det echo $shell_variable Please excuse my ignorance. Thanks in advance. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Nic_writes
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

using awk in a for loop (getting ksh variable)

Hi, I've tried searching the forums for a case similar to mine but was unsuccessful. This is my first time to use awk so any help would be really appreciated :) I have one file containing data for with the first value in each row being a State Name. I would need to create a separate file... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: karver
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

KSH Script -- loop and data copy question

I am trying to write a script that will allow me to train others with commands that I run manually by only allowing the exact command before continuing onto the next set of commands. Here is where I come into an issue. I have changed the directories for this post. Software we run creates files... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: hurtzdonut
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Setting a variable in a while loop (.ksh script)

Hello Everyone, I'm still trying to grasp many concepts in .ksh scripting, one of them being variables inside loops. My problem is the following: * I'm trying to set a variable inside a while read loop to reuse it outside of said loop. My lines are the following :... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: jimmy75_13
13 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

explain while loop in ksh shell script

#!/bin/ksh log=ABCl log=EFG log=HIJ i=0 while <------ what is the meaning of ($i - lt 3) do print ${log} (( i=i+1 )) done (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Bperl1967
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Aix .ksh for loop script.

Hi, I'm trying to write a for loop to run through a list of servers and for each server copy a file to a backup file. But I can't seem to get it to run through my server list. It work for individual servers, please see below. #!/bin/ksh SSH_USERID=khcuser webservers="server1 server2" ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: elmesy
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with loop in ksh script

Hi, I am new to UNIX. I am working on a script where it takes the input and produces a desired output and it works fine for one instance. Input(One Instance): CREATE TABLE TAB1 ( COL1, COL2 ); CREATE UNIQUE INDEX XPKTAB1 ( COL1 )TAB1; Output: CREATE TABLE TAB1 ( COL1, COL2... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: varun2327
8 Replies
break(1)							   User Commands							  break(1)

NAME
break, continue - shell built-in functions to escape from or advance within a controlling while, for, foreach, or until loop SYNOPSIS
sh break [n] continue [n] csh break continue ksh *break [n] *continue [n] DESCRIPTION
sh The break utility exits from the enclosing for or while loop, if any. If n is specified, break n levels. The continue utility resumes the next iteration of the enclosing for or while loop. If n is specified, resume at the n-th enclosing loop. csh The break utility resumes execution after the end of the nearest enclosing foreach or while loop. The remaining commands on the current line are executed. This allows multilevel breaks to be written as a list of break commands, all on one line. The continue utility continues execution of the next iteration of the nearest enclosing while or foreach loop. ksh The break utility exits from the enclosed for, while, until, or select loop, if any. If n is specified, then break n levels. If n is greater than the number of enclosing loops, the outermost enclosing loop shall be exited. The continue utility resumes the next iteration of the enclosed for, while, until, or select loop. If n is specified then resume at the n- th enclosed loop. If n is greater than the number of enclosing loops, the outermost enclosing loop shall be used. On this man page, ksh(1) commands that are preceded by one or two * (asterisks) are treated specially in the following ways: 1. Variable assignment lists preceding the command remain in effect when the command completes. 2. I/O redirections are processed after variable assignments. 3. Errors cause a script that contains them to abort. 4. Words that follow a command preceded by ** that are in the format of a variable assignment are expanded with the same rules as a vari- able assignment. This means that tilde substitution is performed after the = sign, and also that word splitting and file name genera- tion are not performed. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
csh(1), exit(1), ksh(1), sh( 1), attributes(5) SunOS 5.10 17 Jul 2002 break(1)