Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers date command - getting previous month Post 302530910 by methyl on Wednesday 15th of June 2011 10:38:47 AM
Old 06-15-2011
Needs backticks to actually execute the "date" command.
Code:
expr `date +'%m'` - 1

Beware that it will give the answer zero when the current month is January.

What Operating System do you have? Do you have GNU date?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Use date command to find last month

#!/usr/bin/ksh Does anyone have a good way to set a variable to last month? For example, today is 20070810. I would like to use the date command to set a variable to last months %m code, which is 07. If I pluck this months value (08) and user expr to do simple math on it, it returns 7 (not... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Cbish68
5 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

want to get previous date from date command in ksh

I want to get previous date from date command. I am using ksh shell. Exmp: today is 2008.09.04 I want the result : 2008.09.03 Please help. Thanks in advance. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: rinku
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help, I need to get the last date of previous month

Hi, I'm new with Unix, I'm trying to get a last day of previous month with this format: %b %d %Y (example: Feb 25 2008). Here is what I have so far. #!/bin/ksh cur_month=`date +%m` cur_year=`date +%Y` prev_month=$(($cur_month-1)) # Check to see if this is January if then ... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: sirrtuan
11 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

needs to display month for previous day date

Hello, I wanted to display the month for previous day date. Like, today date is 18-Nov-2008. So the previous date is 17-Nov-2008. The output should be November. If the today date is 1-DEC-2008, then output should be NOVEMBER. If the today date is 1-JAN-2008, then output should be DECEMBER.... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: govindts
4 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to get the previous month by using `date`

Hello, I'm new to shell scripting. We've develop a script which will grep a file on the search criteria, MON (Jan/Feb/Mar/etc). But we should set this sript in cron which will run on every first day of the month. The problem I'm having is, when I run the script, it is displaying the contents of... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: suneelj
7 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Pass the first date and last date of previous month

Hi All, I need to run a job every month at the beginning of the month which is scheduled through autosys, lets say on 03/01/2010. I need to pass the last month's i.e February's first_date = 02/01/2010 and last_date = 02/28/2010 as variables to a stored procedure. Can somebody please pass... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vigdmab
2 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

print previous month (current month minus 1) with Solaris date and ksh

Hi folks month=`date +%m`gives current month Howto print previous month (current month minus 1) with Solaris date and ksh (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: slashdotweenie
7 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Get the previous month from date

Hi All, I am using the below code to get the year and month from date: Below gives output like 201212. dt=`date '+%Y%m'` how do i get the previous month value(ie: subtract 1 from date) example output: dt=201211 Please help. :confused: (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: abhi_123
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with getting last date of previous month and first date of previous 4th month from current date

I have requirment to get last date of previous month and the first date of previous 4th month: Example: Current date: 20130320 (yyyymmdd) Last date of previous month: 20130228 (yyyymmdd) First date of previous 4th month: 20121101 (yyyymmdd) In my shell --date, -d, -v switches are not... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: machomaddy
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Not able to fetch previous month first date and last date

I am not able to fetch first date and last date previous month date -d -1month +%Y-%m-%d date -d -1month +%Y-%m-%d I need two format dd-mm-yyy previous month 01-03-2016 previous month 31-03-2016 and also only date 1 to 31 Aprriciate your replay (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jagu
4 Replies
Data::Faker::DateTime(3pm)				User Contributed Perl Documentation				Data::Faker::DateTime(3pm)

NAME
Data::Faker::DateTime - Data::Faker plugin SYNOPSIS AND USAGE
See Data::Faker DATA PROVIDERS
unixtime Return a unix time (seconds since the epoch) for a random time between the epoch and now. date Return a random date as a string, using a random date format (see date_format). time Return a random time as a string, using a random time format (see time_format). rfc822 Return an RFC 822 formatted random date. This method may not work on systems using a non-GNU strftime implementation (kindly let me know if that is the case.) ampm Returns am or pm randomly (in the current locale) using one of the formats specified in ampm_format. time_format Return a random time format. date_format Return a random date format. ampm_format Return a random am/pm format. datetime_format Return a random date and time format. month Return a random month name, unabbreviated, in the current locale. month_abbr Return a random month name, abbreviated, in the current locale. weekday Return a random weekday name, unabbreviated, in the current locale. weekday_abbr Return a random weekday name, abbreviated, in the current locale. sqldate Return a random date in the ISO8601 format commonly used by SQL servers (YYYY-MM-DD). datetime_locale Return a datetime string in the preferred date representation for the current locale, for a random date. date_locale Return a date string in the preferred date representation for the current locale, for a random date. time_locale Return a time string in the preferred date representation for the current locale, for a random date. century Return a random century number. dayofmonth Return a random day of the month. UTILITY METHODS
Data::Faker::DateTime::timestr($format); Given a strftime format specifier, this method passes it through to POSIX::strftime along with a random date to display in that format. Perl passes this through to the strftime function of your system library, so it is possible that some of the formatting tokens used here will not work on your system. NOTES AND CAVEATS
Be careful build timestamps from pieces Be very careful about building date/time representations in formats that are not already listed here. For example if you wanted to get a date that consists of just the month and day, you should NOT do this: my $faker = Data::Faker->new(); print join(' ',$faker->month,$faker->dayofmonth)." "; This is bad because you might end up with 'February 31' for example. Instead you should use the timestr utility function to provide you a formatted time for a valid date, or better still, write a plugin function that does it: my $faker = Data::Faker->new(); print $faker->my_short_date()." "; package Data::Faker::MyExtras; use base qw(Data::Faker); use Data::Faker::DateTime; __PACKAGE__->register_plugin( my_short_date => sub { Data::Faker::DateTime::timestr('%M %e') }, ); POSIX::strftime See the documentation above regarding the timestr utility method for some caveats related to strftime and your system library. SEE ALSO
Data::Faker AUTHOR
Jason Kohles, <email@jasonkohles.com> COPYRIGHT AND LICENSE
Copyright 2004-2005 by Jason Kohles This library is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. perl v5.10.1 2005-07-14 Data::Faker::DateTime(3pm)