Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Script to run a command in a new terminal Post 302530644 by sojo1024 on Tuesday 14th of June 2011 03:02:55 PM
Old 06-14-2011
Script to run a command in a new terminal

Hey, I am trying to write a script that will open all of my session windows, and then secure shell into the appropriate server in the new windows. Seems simple, but I cant get it to work! Please help! Smilie

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Run the start script from the terminal? Newbie Time!

Hi, How do I "run a script"? I'm trying to start up some software called ElectroServer 3, and was told I just needed to "run the start script from the terminal to get things going". From the terminal, i use cd command to change to the software's directory, and I guess the script in question is... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: waking_bear
4 Replies

2. Linux

run script through terminal

for all friends i am using linux enterprise 4. i installed oracle 10g in user name oracle.at the end of install i got a pop up window saying that u should run the following scripts(root.sh,orainstRoot.sh) in terminal from root account(cui) without log out oracle account . how i can run these... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: sadiquep
5 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

open terminal to run cmd using shell script

i want the shell script to open the terminal and in that terminal i want to run a command specified in the script... how can it be done... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: chandrabhushan
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Is command line invocation of gnome-terminal to run more than one command possible?

Hello, I am trying to learn how to pass something more than a one-command startup for gnome-terminal. I will give an example of what I'm trying to do here: #! /bin/bash # #TODO write this for gnome and xterm USAGE=" ______________________________________________ ${0##*/} run... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Narnie
0 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need Mac .sh to run command line app in seperate terminal

Hello, currently we are executing a .sh from terminal. The current .sh looks like this: #!/usr/bin/env bash /Users/user/my.app/Contents/MacOS/my & -- Now, we also need to run a third line in the .sh - It's a command line application that I need to run when I execute the above .sh... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: yoyoyo777
0 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Run bash script without terminal

How can I make a bash script that keeps on running after I have closed the terminal? Or a script that runs without having the terminal window open? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: locoroco
1 Replies

7. Ubuntu

run multiple command at the same time in one window terminal using multiplexer

Hi, I would like to ask if someone knows or accomplished this task in the terminal multiplexer in a single window with multiple splitted pane: In the script run multiple command at the same time in diff splitted pane or simulatneously. As an example: I would like to run iptraf, iotop, htop,... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jao_madn
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem run script inside a gnome-terminal

hi, I would like to ask about using gnome-terminal command, I had a script that will run my VBOX VM in headless and i want to display the output(STDOUT) on the gnome-terminal window. The purpose that i want to display the STDOUT of the script cause i will used it or create a desktop shortcut for... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: jao_madn
11 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Run script in new terminal

Hi Guys, I have a script that runs certain simulations in batch mode. I need to schedule some simulations to run over night. For each simulation to complete it should be run in separate terminal. My script is as follows sh run_test.sh <arg1> <arg2> <arg3> ... I need to launch this... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: aelhosiny
5 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

How to run a shell script in background without showing in the terminal?

Hi Guys, i am having a script which checks for ip address is pingable or not,when i execute this script in terminal it keeps on showing the pinging status of every ip address and it takes more time when i check for 100 ip address,How to do run a script in background without showing in the terminal... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Meeran Rizvi
4 Replies
SCRIPT(1)						    BSD General Commands Manual 						 SCRIPT(1)

NAME
script -- make typescript of terminal session SYNOPSIS
script [-adfpqr] [-c command] [file] DESCRIPTION
script makes a typescript of everything printed on your terminal. It is useful for students who need a hardcopy record of an interactive session as proof of an assignment, as the typescript file can be printed out later with lpr(1). If the argument file is given, script saves all dialogue in file. If no file name is given, the typescript is saved in the file typescript. Option: -a Append the output to file or typescript, retaining the prior contents. -c command Run the named command instead of the shell. Useful for capturing the output of a program that behaves differently when associated with a tty. -d When playing back a session with the -p flag, don't sleep between records when playing back a timestamped session. -f Flush output after each write. This is useful for watching the script output in real time. -p Play back a session recorded with the -r flag in real time. -q Be quiet, and don't output started and ended lines. -r Record a session with input, output, and timestamping. The script ends when the forked shell exits (a control-D to exit the Bourne shell (sh(1)), and exit, logout or control-d (if ignoreeof is not set) for the C-shell, csh(1)). Certain interactive commands, such as vi(1), create garbage in the typescript file. script works best with commands that do not manipulate the screen, the results are meant to emulate a hardcopy terminal. ENVIRONMENT
The following environment variable is used by script: SHELL If the variable SHELL exists, the shell forked by script will be that shell. If SHELL is not set, the Bourne shell is assumed. (Most shells set this variable automatically). SEE ALSO
csh(1) (for the history mechanism). HISTORY
The script command appeared in 3.0BSD. BUGS
script places everything in the log file, including linefeeds and backspaces. This is not what the naive user expects. BSD
October 17, 2009 BSD