Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Swap space
Operating Systems Solaris Swap space Post 302530538 by hard_revenge on Tuesday 14th of June 2011 09:14:56 AM
Old 06-14-2011
you should know the size of RAM, swap may be 16G, 2g RAM and 14G as a slice, if that increase the value of RAM.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

SWAP SPACE

All, I am using SOLARIS 7. I have formated my hard drive to consist of only 150MB of swap space. This isn't enough considering I am running Oracle. How do I create additional swap space? Please list sources or commands. PS mkswap doesn't work on my machine. ( I have swap and... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: SmartJuniorUnix
5 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

pageing space vs swap space

Hello, I would like to know if there is any difference between the pageing space and the swap space. Thank you in advance. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: VeroL
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Swap space is LOW

I checked the server and issued various command to investigated. but from teh output of swap -s and swap -l, i received the following swap -l swapfile dev swaplo blocks free /dev/vx/dsk/swapvol 197,7 16 4194800 4127696 /dev/vx/dsk/swap2 197,8 16 12582896... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: TRUEST
3 Replies

4. AIX

swap space / paging space

how do you get the paging space reduced without rebooting the machine ? the os is aix (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: aaronh
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Swap space used???

Plz I need to know how much swap mem free and used i have. I'm using Compaq Tru64 UNIX V5.1A (rev 1885) Thanx (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Lestat
1 Replies

6. Linux

swap space

Hi, I want to know how can i free the swap space if it is completely full, 0 mb remaining, (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: manoj.solaris
1 Replies

7. Solaris

Swap Space

Could someone please explain how you know how much swap space you have on your system. See below: # swap -s total: 8225048k bytes allocated + 4863488k reserved = 13088536k used, 4008032k available # swap -l swapfile dev swaplo blocks free /dev/dsk/c3t0d0s1 32,25 16... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jamba1
2 Replies

8. Linux

How to reclaim the space which i used to increse the swap space on Xen,

Hi, i have done a blunder here, i increased the swap space on Xen5.6 server machine using below steps :- 1056 dd if=/dev/zero of=/root/myswapfile bs=1M count=1024 1057 ls -l /root/myswapfile 1058 chmod 600 /root/myswapfile 1059 mkswap /root/myswapfile 1060 swapon /root/myswapfile ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: apm
1 Replies

9. Red Hat

Swap space not getting used

CENT OS 5.8 server running with a huge java application which uses up all my ram (4GB) and requires excess of atleast 2GB.But the swap is not getting used up((8GB) of swap space left unused) leading a wierd error and stopping application to stop working. Any one here dealt with the same kind of... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: shiek.kaleem
2 Replies

10. Red Hat

Extending swap space

I've to install Oracle binaries (I'm oracle DBA) and for that I've extend swap space in my home computer. My situation is like this. # parted -s /dev/sda print free Model: ATA VBOX HARDDISK (scsi) Disk /dev/sda: 38.7GB Sector size (logical/physical): 512B/512B Partition Table: msdos ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Mukul Sharma
1 Replies
RDEV(8) 						     Linux Programmer's Manual							   RDEV(8)

NAME
rdev - query/set image root device, RAM disk size, or video mode SYNOPSIS
rdev [ -rvh ] [ -o offset ] [ image [ value [ offset ] ] ] rdev [ -o offset ] [ image [ root_device [ offset ] ] ] ramsize [ -o offset ] [ image [ size [ offset ] ] ] vidmode [ -o offset ] [ image [ mode [ offset ] ] ] rootflags [ -o offset ] [ image [ flags [ offset ] ] ] DESCRIPTION
With no arguments, rdev outputs an /etc/mtab line for the current root file system. With no arguments, ramsize, vidmode, and rootflags print usage information. In a bootable image for the Linux kernel on i386, there are several pairs of bytes which specify the root device, the video mode, and the size of the RAM disk. These pairs of bytes, by default, begin at offset 504 (decimal) in the kernel image: 498 Root flags (500 and 502 Reserved) 504 RAM Disk Size 506 VGA Mode 508 Root Device (510 Boot Signature) rdev will change these values. Typical values for the image parameter, which is a bootable Linux kernel image, might be: /vmlinux /vmunix /boot/bzImage-2.4.0 /dev/fd0 /dev/fd1 When using the rdev command, the root_device parameter might be something like: /dev/hda1 /dev/hdf13 /dev/sda2 /dev/sdc4 /dev/ida/c0d0p1 One may also specify the device by a comma-separated pair of decimal integers major,minor. For the ramsize command, the size parameter specifies the size of the RAM disk in kilobytes. For the rootflags command, the flags parameter contains extra information used when mounting root. Currently the only effect of these flags is to force the kernel to mount the root filesystem in readonly mode if flags is non-zero. For the vidmode command, the mode parameter specifies the video mode: -3 = Prompt -2 = Extended VGA -1 = Normal VGA 0 = as if "0" was pressed at the prompt 1 = as if "1" was pressed at the prompt 2 = as if "2" was pressed at the prompt n = as if "n" was pressed at the prompt If the value is not specified, the image will be examined to determine the current settings. OPTIONS
-r Causes rdev to act like ramsize. -R Causes rdev to act like rootflags. -v Causes rdev to act like vidmode. -h Provides help. BUGS
The rdev utility, when used other than to find a name for the current root device, is an ancient hack that works by patching a kernel image at a magic offset with magic numbers. It does not work on architectures other than i386. Its use is strongly discouraged. Use a boot loader like SysLinux or LILO instead. HISTORY
At offset 502 there used to be the device number of the swap device (in Linux 0.12), and "rdev -s" or "swapdev" would set this. However, since Linux 0.95 this constant is not used any longer, and the swap device is specified using the swapon() system call. AUTHORS
Originally by Werner Almesberger (almesber@nessie.cs.id.ethz.ch) Modified by Peter MacDonald (pmacdona@sanjuan.UVic.CA) rootflags support added by Stephen Tweedie (sct@dcs.ed.ac.uk) Linux 0.99 20 November 1993 RDEV(8)