Sponsored Content
Top Forums Programming Why segmentation(coredump) in the following code in C? Post 302530452 by kumaran_5555 on Tuesday 14th of June 2011 04:29:31 AM
Old 06-14-2011
Did you analyze the core file.

strcat() will start appending the second string from the end of the first string.

So if cRes is already holding anything more than 5 chars before strcat(), then there may not be enough room to copy the substring of cReq.

What i guess is, as your method returning char *, and if the control goes in to else part, it may be the case that you are returning the invalid pointer.

So check for the return value usage, what is happening with the return value of your method.

segmentation fault can happen for thousands of reason, you need to analyze what cuasing it.
use
Code:
gdb a.out core

Last edited by kumaran_5555; 06-14-2011 at 05:39 AM..

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. AIX

Segmentation fault(coredump)

Hi All Can anybody help me? When ever am trying to run topas system gives me an error Segmentation fault(coredump) does anybody ahve solution for this? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: vjm
4 Replies

2. Solaris

lpstat gives segmentation coredump error

hi everyone, we have solaris 8 in sun v480 server. it gives this error. Segmentation Fault(coredump) can anyone help me in this - urgently. Regards Karthik C (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: cksriramchandra
8 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Segmentation (CoreDump) error !!

Hi all, I am trying to create few directories using script and its giving me segmentation error. #!/bin/ksh createDirectories() createDirectories() { cat dirs | \ while read line do mkdir... (16 Replies)
Discussion started by: varungupta
16 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Segmentation Fault(coredump)

I'm getting this error when trying to run a Acucobol program thru UNIX.. Segmentation Fault(coredump) Precompiler error prevents compilation of xxxxxx.co. Please help me in this case.. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Manish4
1 Replies

5. AIX

Segmentation fault in nsgetcinfo in aix 64-bit c code

Hello, I am running on a AIX5.2 server with Oracle 10g and 9i. My code compiles and works fine in 32-bit mode. The same code compiles in 64-bit and runs good. The program catches CNTRL-C signal to terminate. Only on 64-bit code when i hit CNTRL-C, the program exits with segmentation... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: sumesh0710
0 Replies

6. Programming

C code : Segmentation fault

Hi Friends, I have written a small code in C which performs the below operations Task : 1 ) read line by line from a file. 2 ) assuming 3th and 4th fields of the file as GN and GNTO 3 ) The target file should contain all the fields except GNTO. 4... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: kiran_bhatter
3 Replies

7. Programming

this code for addind polynomials using linked lists showed segmentation error..any help pls..

the error occurs in the function() "add" used... #include<stdio.h> #include<malloc.h> struct node { int exp; int coef; struct node * link; }; struct node * create_list(struct node *,int,int); void display(struct node *); struct node * add(struct node *,struct node *); ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mscoder
3 Replies

8. Programming

This code keeps giving me a segmentation fault why?

#include<stdlib.h> #include <pthread.h> #include "tlpi_hdr.h" #include <stdio.h> static volatile int glob = 0; static struct { pthread_t t1,t2; } *thread; static void * /* Loop 'arg' times incrementing 'glob' */ threadFunc(void *arg) { int loops = *((int *) arg); ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: fwrlfo
1 Replies

9. Programming

Why does this example C code run and yet SHOULD either not compile or give a segmentation fault?

Apologies for any typos... Well guys, been researching 'goto' in C and they say that you can't 'goto' labels in another function as a segmentation fault will occur. However I have found a way to 'goto' a label in another function that is NOT main() using the asm() function. As you know I... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: wisecracker
14 Replies
string(3)						     Library Functions Manual							 string(3)

NAME
strcat, strcmp, strcpy, strdup - Perform operations on strings LIBRARY
Standard C Library (libc.so, libc.a) SYNOPSIS
#include <string.h> char *strcat( char *s1, const char *s2); int strcmp( const char *s1, const char *s2); char *strcpy( char *s1, const char *s2); char *strdup( const char *s1); STANDARDS
Interfaces documented on this reference page conform to industry standards as follows: strcat(), strcmp(), strcpy(): XSH4.2 strdup(): XSH4.2 Refer to the standards(5) reference page for more information about industry standards and associated tags. PARAMETERS
In strcat(), specifies the destination string for appending; in strcmp(), specifies the first of two strings to compare; in strcpy(), spec- ifies the destination string for the copying; and in strdup(), specifies the string to be duplicated. In strcat(), specifies the string to be appended to s1; in strcmp(), specifies the second of two strings to compare; and in strcpy(), specifies the source string for the copy- ing. Note [Tru64 UNIX] If you pass a NULL pointer as one of the const char * or char * parameters of a string manipulation function, the function generates a segmentation violation. To avoid the segmentation violation and cause the function to return zero, change the NULL pointer treatment for the process before issuing the call to the string manipulation function, as follows: Include the system header file sys/uswitch.h. Call the uswitch function, as described in the uswitch(2) reference page. The following program illustrates this procedure: #include <stdio.h> #include <sys/types.h> #include <sys/uswitch.h> main() { size_t retval; int uswitch_val; uswitch_val = uswitch(USC_GET,0); uswitch(USC_SET, uswitch_val | USW_NULLP); retval = strdup(NULL); DESCRIPTION
The strcat() function appends a copy of the string pointed to by the s2 parameter (including the terminating null byte) to the end of the string pointed to by the s1 parameter. The initial byte of s2 overwrites the null byte at the end of the string pointed to by s1. When operating on overlapping strings, the behavior of this function is unreliable. The strcmp() function compares the string pointed to by the s1 parameter to the string pointed to by the s2 parameter. The sign of a nonzero value returned by strcmp() is determined by the sign of the difference between the values of the first pair of bytes (both inter- preted as unsigned char) that differ in the two compared objects. The strcmp() function compares strings based on the machine collating order. It does not use the locale-dependent sorting order. Use the strcoll() or wcscoll() functions for locale-dependent sorting. The strcpy() function copies the string pointed to by the s2 parameter (including the terminating null byte) to the location pointed to by the s1 parameter. When operating on overlapping strings, the behavior of this function is unreliable. The strdup() function returns a pointer to a new string that is an exact duplicate of the string pointed to by the s1 parameter. The mal- loc() function is used to allocate space for the new string. RETURN VALUES
On successful completion, the strcat(), strcpy(), and strdup() functions return a pointer to the resulting string. Otherwise, these func- tions return a null pointer. The strdup() function sets errno to indicate the error. On successful completion, the strcmp() function returns an integer whose value is greater than, equal to, or less than 0 (zero), according to whether the s1 string is greater than, equal to, or less than the s2 string. ERRORS
If the strdup() function fails, errno may be set to the following value: Insufficient storage space is available. RELATED INFORMATION
Functions: malloc(3), memccpy(3), setlocale(3), strchr(3), strcoll(3), strlen(3), strncasecmp(3), strncat(3), strncmp(3), strncpy(3), strp- brk(3), strspn(3), strtok(3), strstr(3), strxfrm(3), swab(3), uswitch(2), wcscat(3), wcscmp(3), wcscpy(3) Standards: standards(5) delim off string(3)