Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Solaris PPPD on ttya with serial console...? Post 302530303 by neutronscott on Tuesday 14th of June 2011 09:29:10 AM
Old 06-14-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by orange47
hm, I had very similar problem trying to get Amiga online through Windows.
don't you have any other serial port available?
I think I recall using this for an Apple Classic II. Smilie

I suppose since neither machine is networked, using Windows as the server is just as good. The other part changes the CLIENT CLIENTSERVER strings to normal ppp strings, though that should be taken care of with 'chat'.

I may give it a go anyway. I will probably just bring in my personal netbook tomorrow (to connect via ethernet).

I see no other serial port available.

Thanks.

---------- Post updated at 03:35 PM ---------- Previous update was at 01:13 PM ----------

Having more success. I misused single quotes in my chat script, and pppd wasn't reading ttya because it was already open. Using something like,

exec pppd file test.ppp

fixes most things but the terminal seems to be put back in cooked mode since I must hit enter after 'CLIENT' to get the 'CLIENTSERVER' response..

Almost...

---------- Post updated 06-14-11 at 09:29 AM ---------- Previous update was 06-13-11 at 03:35 PM ----------

I made link over ttya without messing with any services basically just logged in as root on serial console and type

exec pppd /dev/ttya 9600 192.168.1.2:192.168.1.3 nocrtscts local connect "sleep 20; echo CLIENTSERVER"

That was good enough. Maybe someone else crazy as me will be helped with this. Helps to have a couple ssh sessions verus a single serial console. Now to actually learn this stuff! Smilie

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. AIX

Installing via serial console

I'm stuck - when I boot the machine and hit 5 on the keyboard, all I get is an SP login. Can someone give me some tips on how to get to the install via the serial port? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: tb0ne
2 Replies

2. HP-UX

serial console hangs

I have a HP Visualize C200 running hpux that I am trying to boot into using a null modem through com1 from my Sun Ultra 10. I get all the way to the login prompt and then it becomes innactive and wont let me access the machine anymore. Any ideas? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: trajek
2 Replies

3. Solaris

Ultra 5 serial console problem

Hi I have a stupid problem with ultra 5 console connection. I can't connect to serial port with my laptop. I made these configurations from ok prompt: OK setenv input-device ttya OK setenv output-device ttya OK setenv auto-boot? false I tried to connect to machine with cisco rollover... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: noizer`
5 Replies

4. OS X (Apple)

Use a Serial Console with Mac OS X Leopard

I'm trying to use an old Commodore 128D as a terminal to access OS X's shell via a serial port. I've used 'screen' and 'zterm' to ensure the two machines are successfully interfaced. Instructions for opening up the serial console on other Unix-y operating systems don't work with OS X Leopard. ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: joecassara
3 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

IP Console Vs Serial console.

Hi Gurus, Can some one explain me the difference between a IP console and a serial console. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rama krishna
1 Replies

6. Solaris

V890 serial console inaccessible

I am battling to get a V890 up and running. The system appears to have AUTOBOOT=false, so no OS comes up when it's powered on, and I do not have the credentials to get to the RSC management console. Output to ttya serial console ends at "Probing I/O buses", I assume because output is then being... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: dstmark
4 Replies

7. Solaris

How to setup a serial console?

i am running solaris 10 in my vmware workstation. How to setup a console for my solaris box. in Vmware i could see a serial port option. can some one help me on how i can setup a console . (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: chidori
0 Replies

8. Solaris

$ Prompt on Serial console is not responding.

Hi Experts. i have been stuck up with an issue. i have connected my Solaris 8 , Sun fire V445 on serial port by using Teraterm. Initially i was able to login and executed some tasks. After executing some commands (mainly Control +c), i am not able to type any key or not able to do anything at... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: siddulamadhu
2 Replies

9. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

$ Prompt on Serial console is not responding.

Hi Experts. i have been stuck up with an issue. i have connected my Solaris 8 , Sun fire V445 on serial port by using Teraterm. Initially i was able to login and executed some tasks. After executing some commands (mainly Control +c), i am not able to type any key or not able to do anything at... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: siddulamadhu
2 Replies
dc(7)							 Miscellaneous Information Manual						     dc(7)

NAME
dc - serial line/mouse/keyboard SYNOPSIS
controller dc0 at ibus0 slot 0 vector dcintr DESCRIPTION
The dc serial line controller provides DECstation 2100, DECstation 3100, DECstation 5000, and DECstation 5100 computer systems with key- board, mouse, and serial communications interfaces. The serial communications interfaces on the DECstation 2100 and DECstation 3100 provide partial modem control. The serial communications interfaces on the DECstation 5000 provide full modem control. The device special file /dev/tty01 on a DECstation 5100 provides full modem control, while the remaining ports provide no modem control at all. All serial commu- nications interfaces operate at baud rates from B50 to B9600, excluding B200. The dc ports are used as follows: Usage Graphics device keyboard at 4800 BPS Mouse or tablet at 4800 BPS Communications port 1 (w/modem control)/local terminal Communications port 2 (w/modem control)/local terminal On all systems except the DECstation 5100, serial port 2 is used for the system console port in server (that is, non-graphics) configura- tions. On DECstation 5100s, the serial port labeled 3 on the back of the system is always the system console port. The serial system con- sole port always operates at 9600 BPS, 8-bits, no parity; modem control is not supported. RESTRICTIONS
Data communications equipment attached to the console serial port in server configurations must be set to 9600 BPS, 8-bits, no parity. The scc driver enforces this restriction. FILES
console terminal local terminal local terminal local terminal (DECstation 5100 only) RELATED INFORMATION
console(7), devio(7), tty(7), MAKEDEV(8) delim off dc(7)