Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Find and replace a character
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Find and replace a character Post 302530200 by yazu on Monday 13th of June 2011 08:33:06 AM
Old 06-13-2011
If you are on Solaris you can use nawk or /usr/xgp4/bin/awk

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Find and replace character in a string

Hi all, My problem is the following: I've a script that must list all files in a directory and write this information in a text file. I've tried to get the list through ls command and then write it using msgecho msgecho "`ls $PATH_APS_JOB_ORA`" This works good but the created string... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: callimaco0082
7 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

read in a file character by character - replace any unknown ASCII characters with spa

Can someone help me to write a script / command to read in a file, character by character, replace any unknown ASCII characters with space. then write out the file to a new filename/ Thanks! (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: raghav525
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

replace a character with another character

hi i have a string var=abc.ghi.jkl.mno.pqr now i need to replace .(dot) with _(underscore) the result should be like "arresult=abc_def_ghi_jkl_mno_pqr" Please help (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: satish@123
8 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

In Sed how can I replace starting from the 7th character to the 15th character.

Hi All, Was wondering how I can do the following.... I have a String as follows "ACCTRL000005022RRWDKKEEDKDD...." This string can be in a file called tail.out or in a Variable called $VAR2 Now I have another variable called $VAR1="000004785" (9 bytes long), I need the content of... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: mohullah
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace multiple occurances of same character with a single character.

Hi all, Greetings, I have the following scenario, The contents of main file are like : Unix|||||forum|||||||||||||||is||||||the||best so||||||be|||||on||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||it And i need the output in the following form: Unix=forum=is=the=best so=be=on=it ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: dipanchandra
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Character Find and replace in Unix or Perl

Hi, I am stuck with an problem and want some help, what i want to do is There is a directory name temp which include file named t1.txt, t2,txt, t3.txt and so on. These files contains data, but there are some bad character also that is % present in the files , I want to write the script... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: parthmittal2007
13 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find character and Replace character for given position

Hi, i want find the character '-' in a file from position 284-298, if it occurs i need to replace it with 'O ' for the position in the file. How to do that using SED command. thanks in advance, Sara (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sara183
9 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

[Solved] Find and replace till nth occurence of a special character

Hi, I have a requirement to search for a pattern in each line in a file and remove the in between words till the 3rd occurrence of double quote ("). Ex: CREATE TABLE "SCHEMANAME"."AMS_LTV_STATUS" (Note: "SCHEMANAME" may changes for different schemas. Its not a fixed value) I need to... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: satyaatcgi
2 Replies

9. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Replace certain character at specific place with related character

hello i have file with 100k records and each one has certain value that starts at 28th column and certain value that starts at 88th column e.g. 1st file <25>1234567 ..... <88> 8573785485 i have aditional file with values which are related to value that starts at 88th column of the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: dell1520
1 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Find and replace single character w/awk given conditions

I have a file that looks like this: 14985 DPN verb PPa to spend. 12886 DPNDJN bay tree. 15686 DQ verb to observe 15656 KC ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: jvoot
7 Replies
ucblinks(1B)					     SunOS/BSD Compatibility Package Commands					      ucblinks(1B)

NAME
ucblinks - adds /dev entries to give SunOS 4.x compatible names to SunOS 5.x devices SYNOPSIS
/usr/ucb/ucblinks [-e rulebase] [-r rootdir] DESCRIPTION
ucblinks creates symbolic links under the /dev directory for devices whose SunOS 5.x names differ from their SunOS 4.x names. Where possi- ble, these symbolic links point to the device's SunOS 5.x name rather than to the actual /devices entry. ucblinks does not remove unneeded compatibility links; these must be removed by hand. ucblinks should be called each time the system is reconfiguration-booted, after any new SunOS 5.x links that are needed have been created, since the reconfiguration may have resulted in more compatibility names being needed. In releases prior to SunOS 5.4, ucblinks used a nawk rule-base to construct the SunOS 4.x compatible names. ucblinks no longer uses nawk for the default operation, although nawk rule-bases can still be specifed with the -e option. The nawk rule-base equivalent to the SunOS 5.4 default operation can be found in /usr/ucblib/ucblinks.awk. OPTIONS
-e rulebase Specify rulebase as the file containing nawk(1) pattern-action statements. -r rootdir Specify rootdir as the directory under which dev and devices will be found, rather than the standard root directory /. FILES
/usr/ucblib/ucblinks.awk sample rule-base for compatibility links ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWscpu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
devlinks(1M), disks(1M), ports(1M), tapes(1M), attributes(5) SunOS 5.10 13 Apr 1994 ucblinks(1B)