Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Display Specific line number using tail command Post 302530176 by vivek1489 on Monday 13th of June 2011 07:43:43 AM
Old 06-13-2011
m searching perticular file using this command
tail -10 `ls -t1 | head -n1`
then
tail +10 `ls -t1 | head -n1` | head -5
is correct

---------- Post updated at 07:42 AM ---------- Previous update was at 07:35 AM ----------

i want to see only 10 line from end

---------- Post updated at 07:43 AM ---------- Previous update was at 07:42 AM ----------

got thanks
tail -11 `ls -t1 | head -n1` | head -1

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

how to display line number for tail -f

Hi, Just wonder if there is any quick way to display line number when monitoring a log file with tail -f? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: iengca
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Adding a columnfrom a specifit line number to a specific line number

Hi, I have a huge file & I want to add a specific text in column. But I want to add this text from a specific line number to a specific line number & another text in to another range of line numbers. To be more specific: lets say my file has 1000 lines & 4 Columns. I want to add text "Hello"... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ezy
2 Replies

3. Solaris

Tail command in one line

HI i have to copy the last 5000 lines form a log file and copy the same in the same file .overwriting the same log file. ex: tail -5000 testfile1 > testfile2 cat testfile2 mv tesftfile2 testfile1 will produce the correct result.but i want to have this done in one line???? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: saurabh84g
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

using sed to replace a specific string on a specific line number using variables

using sed to replace a specific string on a specific line number using variables this is where i am at grep -v WARNING output | grep -v spawn | grep -v Passphrase | grep -v Authentication | grep -v '/sbin/tfadmin netguard -C'| grep -v 'NETWORK>' >> output.clean grep -n Destination... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: todd.cutting
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to use command tail -f & show line number.

Hello Guys, I have created function which is as follow: tail -f filename |grep "Key word" output from this command 19-11-2011 21:09:15,234 - INFO Numbement - error number:result = :11 19-11-2011 21:09:15,286 - INFO Numbement - error number:result = :11 19-11-2011 21:09:15,523 - INFO... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: ooilinlove
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Cut from specific line number to a line number

Hi All, I've a file like this.. Sheet1 a,1 a,2 a,3 a,4 a,5 Sheet2 a,6 a,7 a,8 a,9 a,10 Sheet3 a,11 a,12 a,13 (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: manab86
7 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed command to replace a line at a specific line number with some other line

my requirement is, consider a file output cat output blah sdjfhjkd jsdfhjksdh sdfs 23423 sdfsdf sdf"sdfsdf"sdfsdf"""""dsf hellow there this doesnt look good et cetc etc etcetera i want to replace a line of line number 4 ("this doesnt look good") with some other line ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: vivek d r
3 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Quick UNIX command to display specific lines in the middle of a file from/to specific word

This could be a really dummy question. I have a log text file. What unix command to extract line from specific string to another specific string. Is it something similar to?: more +/"string" file_name Thanks (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: aku
4 Replies

9. Homework & Coursework Questions

How to display certain line of file only using head or tail in 1 command?

First month learning about the Linux terminal and it has been a challenge yet fun so far. We're learning by using a gameshell. I'm trying to display a certain line ( only allowed 1 command ) from a file only using the head or tail. I'm pretty about this answer: head -23 history.txt | tail -1... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: forzatekk
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

How do we display specific row of an output from bottom given line number?

I pass a number to my script. Passing "1" below. ./getfile.sh 1 echo "User entered: $1" ls -ltr *.conf | sed -n '$p' I wish to use ls -ltr i.e list files in ascending order of time the latest showing at the bottom of the output. Number 1 should get me the last row of ls -ltr output i.e... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: mohtashims
9 Replies
TAIL(1) 						    BSD General Commands Manual 						   TAIL(1)

NAME
tail -- display the last part of a file SYNOPSIS
tail [-f | -F | -r] [-b number | -c number | -n number] [file ...] DESCRIPTION
The tail utility displays the contents of file or, by default, its standard input, to the standard output. The display begins at a byte, line or 512-byte block location in the input. Numbers having a leading plus (``+'') sign are relative to the beginning of the input, for example, ``-c +2'' starts the display at the second byte of the input. Numbers having a leading minus (``-'') sign or no explicit sign are relative to the end of the input, for example, ``-n 2'' displays the last two lines of the input. The default starting location is ``-n 10'', or the last 10 lines of the input. The options are as follows: -b number The location is number 512-byte blocks. -c number The location is number bytes. -f The -f option causes tail to not stop when end of file is reached, but rather to wait for additional data to be appended to the input. The -f option is ignored if the standard input is a pipe, but not if it is a FIFO. -F The -F option is the same as the -f option, except that every five seconds tail will check to see if the file named on the command line has been shortened or moved (it is considered moved if the inode or device number changes) and, if so, it will close the current file, open the filename given, print out the entire contents, and continue to wait for more data to be appended. This option is used to follow log files though rotation by newsyslog(8) or similar programs. -n number The location is number lines. -r The -r option causes the input to be displayed in reverse order, by line. Additionally, this option changes the meaning of the -b, -c and -n options. When the -r option is specified, these options specify the number of bytes, lines or 512-byte blocks to display, instead of the bytes, lines or blocks from the beginning or end of the input from which to begin the display. The default for the -r option is to display all of the input. If more than a single file is specified, each file is preceded by a header consisting of the string ``==> XXX <=='' where ``XXX'' is the name of the file. The tail utility exits 0 on success, and >0 if an error occurs. SEE ALSO
cat(1), head(1), sed(1) STANDARDS
The tail utility is expected to be a superset of the IEEE Std 1003.2-1992 (``POSIX.2'') specification. In particular, the -b, -r and -F options are extensions to that standard. The historic command line syntax of tail is supported by this implementation. The only difference between this implementation and historic versions of tail, once the command line syntax translation has been done, is that the -b, -c and -n options modify the -r option, i.e. ``-r -c 4'' displays the last 4 characters of the last line of the input, while the historic tail (using the historic syntax ``-4cr'') would ignore the -c option and display the last 4 lines of the input. HISTORY
A tail command appeared in Version 7 AT&T UNIX. BUGS
When using the -F option, tail will not detect a file truncation if, between the truncation and the next check of the file size, data written to the file make it larger than the last known file size. BSD
June 6, 1993 BSD