Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers How to move files based on filetype and time created? Post 302530162 by Skrynesaver on Monday 13th of June 2011 06:56:04 AM
Old 06-13-2011
Top of my head solution, relies on epoch date to position the creation time, (usual caveat about inode change versus actual creation time)

Code:
for i in $(file * |grep JPEG| cut -d\: -f1);do 
   export i;
   ctime=$(perl -e ' @details = stat $ENV{i};print $details[10]'; 
   if [ $ctime -gt 1306710000  -a $ctime -lt 1307055600 ] 
      mv $i newFolder;
   fi
done

I chose this method because epoch time seemed the easiest route to creating a time window and Perl's stat utility returns the ctime in epoch seconds (I'm sure there are other utilities which could do the same, however when the only tool you have is a hammer every problem looks like a thumb Smilie )

Last edited by Skrynesaver; 06-13-2011 at 10:59 AM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

List files created between specific date and time

Hi I need to write a script to list files in a directory created within specific date and time for eg list files created between Apr 25 2007 11:00 to Apr 26 2007 18:00. and then i have to count them Any suggestions pls ? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jazjit
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Copying files created after a specified date/time

I need to write a script that copies files from one directory to another that were created after "today 6:30". This script will be NOT be ran at the same time each day. any help is appreciated. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jm6601
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Help with command to find all newly created files in a given time period

Hi all! Can someone please help me create a command to accomplish the following task. I have a parent directory called ex. /var/www/parent and it has a bunch of sub-directories called /var/www/parent/1, var/www/parent/1/xyz/ and etc. What I would like to do is to count the number of files... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: bbzor
2 Replies

4. Fedora

Move file based time stamp

Hi all, I've already tired to try to solved this problem. Also search in Internet didn't find anything solution I have a directory like this : # pwd /opt/projects/juventini # ls -al | more total 3627460 drwxr-xr-x 2 app apps 12472320 Sep 24 14:59 . drwxr-xr-x 11 app apps 4096 Jun... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: sunardo
8 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Removal of files/folders created during a period of time

Hi, I have some folders (containing files) which gets created daily and names start with 'TT_' . I would like to remove these folders every month end. Could you please provide me the commands and also the syntax to schedule through crontab. Thanks, Archana (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: archana.n
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Display files created on particular date & time

Hi , I have BASH system & i am trying to display the files created on a particular date and time, and after displaying those files I also want to delete all those files.Can anyone of you help me out for this............. Thanx Original post contents restored... Please do not erase the question... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: rakeshtomar82
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Copy files based on last created date

Hi, I have a requirement to copy files from a windows network drive to a Linux server using shell script based on the last created date. Ex: FileName CreatedDate/Time F1 05-01-2012 3:00 PM F2 05-01-2012 3:15 PM F3 05-01-2012 2:00 PM When i run the shell script... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Lee_10
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Files created on specific time

Hello Gurus, I am facing one issue to get a file for a specific time. There are about 300 files created between 6.30 pm to 7.15 pm everyday. Now I wanted only the file which is created on 6.45pm. No other files required. I have used "find" command to get the files, but not getting the expected... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: pokhraj_d
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Segregate files based on the time they are created

Hi All, I have scenario where I need to zip huge number of DB audit log files newer than 90 days and delete anything older than that. If the files are too huge in number,zipping will take long time and causing CPU spikes. To avoid this I wanted to segregate files based on how old they are and... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: veeresh_15
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Move files with a certain suffix based on how many files are in another folder

Hello, First time poster. I am looking for a way to script or program the process of moving files from one folder to another, automatically, based on the count of files in the destination folder. I was thinking a shell script would work, but am open to the suggestions of the experts... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: comtech
6 Replies
TIME(3F)																  TIME(3F)

NAME
time, ctime, ltime, gmtime - return system time SYNOPSIS
integer function time() character*(*) function ctime (stime) integer stime subroutine ltime (stime, tarray) integer stime, tarray(9) subroutine gmtime (stime, tarray) integer stime, tarray(9) DESCRIPTION
Time returns the time since 00:00:00 GMT, Jan. 1, 1970, measured in seconds. This is the value of the UNIX system clock. Ctime converts a system time to a 24 character ASCII string. The format is described under ctime(3). No 'newline' or NULL will be included. Ltime and gmtime disect a UNIX time into month, day, etc., either for the local time zone or as GMT. The order and meaning of each element returned in tarray is described under ctime(3). FILES
/usr/lib/libU77.a SEE ALSO
ctime(3), itime(3F), idate(3F), fdate(3F) 4.2 Berkeley Distribution May 15, 1985 TIME(3F)