Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers sed substitution and shell variables Post 302529981 by ctsgnb on Saturday 11th of June 2011 09:11:21 PM
Old 06-11-2011
did you try this ?

Code:
sed -i '' "s/${var1}/${var2}/g" yourfile

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Double Substitution variables in ksh

Hi I have a variable whose value is like this i=/test/test1/test2/myfile.cd.070505123457 i would like to have the value of myfile.cd stored into another variable my attempt is test=${i##*/} ;echo $test ##and i get myfile.cd.070505123457 since what i wnat is myfile.cd i try this... (19 Replies)
Discussion started by: xiamin
19 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

shell variables and sed substitution

My specific goal: automatically edit a Makefile variable's (EXTRAVERSION) value in a kernel Makefile. So, I have a shell script that takes one parameter, a version string: buildkernel.sh 2.6.18.21.7-custom In the script, I assign the parameter to K_VER: K_VER="2.6.18.21.7-custom"... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: duderonomy
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Accessing Shell Variables in awk or sed

Hello, I wonder if it is possible to pass and use variables from shell environment into sed or awk. I am trying to achieve something similar to the following using sed or awk: var=some_regular_expression grep "$var" filename # Will extract lines from filename The following code,... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: nasersh
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

SED Substitution

Hi , I am stuck up in the below scenario:- I need to read a file name (eg A.txt) name frm another file (eg B.txt) and then I need to search for a particular expression in A.txt and substitute it with another expression. How can I use SED inside SHELL Scripting and command prompt as well to... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: shubhranshu
1 Replies

5. Solaris

Shell variables substitution in a file

Hi, I have to read a file and translate the contents including substituting the variables if any and write to another file without using sed or awk. For ex:- inputfile.txt ----------- servername=$SERVER application=$APPL outputfile.txt ------------ servername=actual server name... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: axes
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

[bash] command line substitution with environmental variables

Hi, I'm using an array that contains compiler FLAGS that need to be executed either before ./configure or after the main 'make' command. example of array containing compiler flags. ------------------------------------------------- FLAGS="CFLAGS=\"-arch x86_64 -g -Os -pipe... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: ASGR
7 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed command using variables in shell script

hi guys, The following command doesn't seem to work in my shell script: tag=$(sed -n '/${line}/ s/.*\.*/\1/p' myfile.txt) When i replace the ${line} with an actual value, it works fine. So, how do i use the ${line} in this sed command? Thanks in advance, Zaff (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: zaff
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Substitution with sed

I have a file with some numbers having single quotes around them which I want to remove. i.e. '923930' -> 23930 If it can be done without using sed thats fine. I have tried with sed but can't think how to replace this pattern on only the numbers (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: user_invalid
13 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to use sed to copy specific lines from a file using shell variables?

hello! I am trying to use sed to copy specific set of lines from a file for which the starting and ending line numbers of the lines to be copied are stored in shell variables. How can i copy those lines? if the input_file is something like this and if the following is the script a=2 b=4... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: a_ba
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problems with substitution between two variables

To all geeks, What I want to achieve: 1. Accept two filenames from user and store the filenames in two variables (FILE1 and FILE2) 2. Check if files exisits. If doesn't, then exit 3. If files exist, look for a particular string in both files 4. If the string exists, then change the... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Deepak Tulsani
8 Replies
Locale::Codes::LangVar(3pm)				 Perl Programmers Reference Guide			       Locale::Codes::LangVar(3pm)

NAME
Locale::Codes::LangVar - standard codes for language variation identification SYNOPSIS
use Locale::Codes::LangVar; $lvar = code2langvar('acm'); # $lvar gets 'Mesopotamian Arabic' $code = langvar2code('Mesopotamian Arabic'); # $code gets 'acm' @codes = all_langvar_codes(); @names = all_langvar_names(); DESCRIPTION
The "Locale::Codes::LangVar" module provides access to standard codes used for identifying language variations, such as those as defined in the IANA language registry. Most of the routines take an optional additional argument which specifies the code set to use. If not specified, the default IANA language registry codes will be used. SUPPORTED CODE SETS
There are several different code sets you can use for identifying language variations. A code set may be specified using either a name, or a constant that is automatically exported by this module. For example, the two are equivalent: $lvar = code2langvar('en','alpha-2'); $lvar = code2langvar('en',LOCALE_CODE_ALPHA_2); The codesets currently supported are: alpha This is the set of alphanumeric codes from the IANA language registry, such as 'arevela' for Eastern Armenian. This code set is identified with the symbol "LOCALE_LANGVAR_ALPHA". This is the default code set. ROUTINES
code2langvar ( CODE [,CODESET] ) langvar2code ( NAME [,CODESET] ) langvar_code2code ( CODE ,CODESET ,CODESET2 ) all_langvar_codes ( [CODESET] ) all_langvar_names ( [CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangVar::rename_langvar ( CODE ,NEW_NAME [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangVar::add_langvar ( CODE ,NAME [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangVar::delete_langvar ( CODE [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangVar::add_langvar_alias ( NAME ,NEW_NAME ) Locale::Codes::LangVar::delete_langvar_alias ( NAME ) Locale::Codes::LangVar::rename_langvar_code ( CODE ,NEW_CODE [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangVar::add_langvar_code_alias ( CODE ,NEW_CODE [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangVar::delete_langvar_code_alias ( CODE [,CODESET] ) These routines are all documented in the Locale::Codes::API man page. SEE ALSO
Locale::Codes The Locale-Codes distribution. Locale::Codes::API The list of functions supported by this module. http://www.iana.org/assignments/language-subtag-registry The IANA language subtag registry. AUTHOR
See Locale::Codes for full author history. Currently maintained by Sullivan Beck (sbeck@cpan.org). COPYRIGHT
Copyright (c) 2011-2012 Sullivan Beck This module is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. perl v5.16.2 2012-10-11 Locale::Codes::LangVar(3pm)