Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Masking data for different file format Post 302529900 by birei on Saturday 11th of June 2011 05:41:38 AM
Old 06-11-2011
Hi,

I paste some of the 'perl' help, which I'm sure it explains much better than me.
Quote:
s/PATTERN/REPLACEMENT/msixpogce
Searches a string for a pattern, and if found, replaces that pattern with the replacement text and returns the number of substitutions made. Otherwise it returns false (specifically, the empty string).

Options:
e Evaluate the right side as an expression.
g Match globally, i.e., find all occurrences.
Regards,
Birei
This User Gave Thanks to birei For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

how to number format a data file without using SED?

Hi I have a file which contains data (list of data) and I want to put a number with bracket 1) 2) 3) etc at the beginning of every successive line I can do it with SED and I can also do it using the nl route but am looking for a different method. I'm guessing I would need some sort of loop... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Cactus Jack
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Sed to format data in a file

Hi , i need help with formatting a file i am generating which is to be used in mainframe app so the file length has to be 80 for each rows. The file that m able to generate looks like this (consists of two rows only) E 1006756 1006756 Active T E 0551055 0551055 Active T I... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: cnilashis
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Data Masking

I have a pipe delimited file that I need to 'mask' to before loading to keep some data confidential. I need to maintain the first 4 bytes of certain columns and replace the remaining bytes with an 'x'. I would like to maintain spaces but it's not a requirement. Example, need to mask columns 2... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: 1superdork
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Format/Fix Timestamp Data in a File.

Hello Experts, I have a timestamp(6) column in a .csv data file , format of the data is as below:- ETCT,P,Elec, Inc.,abc,11/5/2010 4:16:09.000000 PM,Y,Y,Y I want the timestamp column to be properly formatted like 11/05/2010 04:16:09.000000 PM Currently the "0" is missing with... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mtlrsk
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Masking off data for different kind of files

Hi everyone, I am required to mask off the date data for 3 kinds of files. Please help me to find a most generic way to handle the files. Example of the content of each kind(the dates are in red): 1. (1-line files). Possible solution: Date needed to be masked off start with DTM+, end with :203 ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Alvin123
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to Open a data format file?

Hi, Am having a file. I checked that file format by the following command file filename Output is filename: data So the file is data format file Am trying to view that file so i have used some commands like cat,more so on but it showing the contents like compressed form(full of Symbols). How... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Adhi
4 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Format the data file

hi all, i am new to unix forum,i want do some large data format work. pls help me to format the file. i have attched data file to be formated in that two set of line item is there . first set header & second set header to be come in to single header item same as like all the data also. ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: dhamu
2 Replies

8. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Identifing The Format of Data File

Hello All, We are receiving UTF-16 formatted file and when i vi the file in Linux OS i am seeing some weird characters, is this because in my .bashrc profile the language variable has been set to LC_ALL=en_US.UTF-8 and hence the reason i am not able to read the UTF-16 formatted file properly? or... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ariean
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to generate Excel file or to SQL output data to Excel format/tabular format

Hi , i am generating some data by firing sql query with connecting to the database by my solaris box. The below one should be the header line of my excel ,here its coming in separate row. TO_CHAR(C. CURR_EMP_NO ---------- --------------- LST_NM... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: dani1234
6 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Masking data

How Can I mask one particular columns using some unix command? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: dsa
4 Replies
suffix(5)							File Formats Manual							 suffix(5)

NAME
suffix - file name suffix conventions DESCRIPTION
The following list summarizes file name suffix conventions that can be found in an HP-UX system. It is a partial compilation of possibly useful knowledge, suggestions, and explanations, rather than a specification of standards. Suffixes are often used in preference to pre- fixes because they enable related files to group together alphabetically in a directory listing. Note that some programs require the use of a specific value, or vary their behavior based on a choice of suffixes. Such programs are noted in many (but not all) cases. HP64000 cross assembler symbol file. Library file (archive) managed by known to HP Ada source, where "?" stands for any single character. List of users allowed by or (for example, Source for macros. LIF (Logical Interchange Format) type 1, ASCII file for use by Pascal or BASIC/UX. Incompatible with Cross-referencing information created automatically by LaTeX. script file. Compiled LISP source file, or a bold font file. Backup copy of a file. File containing bad data, or occupying a bad spot on a disk. Bibliography created by BibTeX for inclusion in a LaTeX document. Bibliographic data file, (for example, BibTeX bibliography database). Log of errors from BibTeX. BibTeX bibliography style definition. File compressed by or C++ language source file, or HP64000 cross compiled C source file. C language source file; known to and CAST language scripts. NLS (Native Language Support) message catalog. Configuration file (for example, CLU file. Pascal workstation object code. File containing output from that is, a archive. C-shell script. Current version of a file. Directory file, or data file. A script that is read daily. List of users denied by or (for example, List of devices. Differences between two files, output from DBM database directory file. Documentation file of some sort. Device-independent text formatter output. Extended FORTRAN language (EFL) source file; known to GNU Emacs Elisp file. Compiled GNU Emacs Elisp file. Source for equation macros. Standard error from a program. Errors recorded by a program. FORTRAN language source file; known to and FORTRAN 77 language source file. Frozen configuration file (for example, A complete file or list. TeX font bitmaps in Generic Font format. Glossary created by LaTeX. C language header (include) file; known to Help text for a program, often read automatically. A script that is read hourly. Output of C preprocessor or a Berkeley Pascal language include file, or an italicized font file. Icon source code. Index created by LaTeX. Standard input to a program. Notes index file. Korn shell script file. HP64000 cross linker symbol file. source file (known to or LISP source file. Notes list file. File containing a list of other files. Library information for List of figures created by LaTeX. Generic log file, or a log of error messages from TeX. List of tables created by LaTeX. Modula language source file. Modula-2 language source file. Makefile for Source for or using macros. Source for or using macros. TeX metafont input file. Gosling/Unipress Emacs Mock Lisp file. Source for or using macros. A script that is read monthly. Source for or using macros. source. New version of a file. source. HP64000 listing file. Relocatable object file (post-compile, pre-link); known to and Obsolete version of a file. Old version of a file. File containing optional material, such as an optional part of the kernel. Original version of a file. Standard output (and possibly standard error) from a program (for example, or an executable file output from (such as HP64000 cross compiled Pascal source file. Pascal language source file (known to and or PROLOG language source file. DBM database data file. PILOT language source file. TeX font bitmaps in Packed Font format; denser/more recent than GF. Previous version of a file. PostScript file. TeX font bitmaps in uncompressed format; very obsolete. HP64000 relocatable file. RatFor language source file; known to A "run commands" file, normally read when a program is invoked (for example, Real version of a file, often one which was replaced by a front-end (for example, File containing required material, such as a required part of the kernel. HP64000 cross assembled source file. Assembler input file; known to and Safe or saved copy of a file. Scheme file. POSIX shell script file; known to Shell archive file containing output from Skeletal or template file. Shared library file built by known to File containing statistics (for example, LaTeX style definition; should have a corresponding file. LIF Bootable by the Series 300/400 boot ROM (see Librarian chapter of vol. 1). Text file. File (archive) containing output from Source for table macros. Temporary file. Prototype or template file. Test input or output file. TeX source file. Notes text file, or a Pascal workstation "UCSD text format" file. ASCII text file. Width information used by TeX (TeX font metrics). Source for table of contents macros, or table of contents created by LaTeX. source. Icon intermediate code files. HP-UX text or binary file format. Web file (Knuth's Web system). A script that is read weekly. HP64000 absolute file. input file; known to File compressed by File compressed by Manpage files (sections 1 through 9), optionally followed by a letter HP-UX also uses for section 1M. File saved on given date (for example, year, month name, YYMM, MMDD, and so on) as a snapshot of a continuously growing log file. RCS delta file; known to the RCS programs. AUTHOR
was developed by HP. suffix(5)