Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: adding a line to a text file
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting adding a line to a text file Post 302529874 by LMHmedchem on Friday 10th of June 2011 10:29:07 PM
Old 06-10-2011
adding a line to a text file

I have a tab delimited text file,
Code:
id   name       distance
1    3325167    0.334561754018
2    3290488    0.389444269458
3    3288794    0.392312701782
4    3347602    0.392532202097
5    3295355    0.394394169485

I need to add a line after the header line. The first and third field of that added line with both be the value 0 (hard coded). The middle field will be from a bash variable.
Code:
id   name       distance
0    $BASH_VAR  0.0
1    3325167    0.334561754018
2    3290488    0.389444269458
3    3288794    0.392312701782
4    3347602    0.392532202097
5    3295355    0.394394169485

I have looked at solutions in both sed and awk and can't seem to find the right thing.

I tried,
Code:
awk 'BEGIN {FS="\t"} {if (NR==2) print "0", "\t", $NAME, "\t", "0.0"; else print $0; }' TEMP > $OUTFILE

But that garbles the values of the inserted and existing lines.

LMHmedchem

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Adding Text To each line of a file

How would I add text to the beginning of each line in a text file in a script right after the file is created from another text file. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: cubs0729
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

adding text to end of each line in a file

I'm needing to add a "hour:min" to the end of each line in a document. The document in this case is only going to be one line. if this inserts it at the end, what needs to be changed to add something at the end... /bin/echo "%s/^/$filler/g\nwq!" | ex -s $oFile Thank you... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: cubs0729
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Adding specific text and spaces to each line in a text file

Hi, I wanted to add specific text to each row in a text file containing three rows. Example: 0 8 7 6 5 5 7 8 9 0 7 9 7 8 9 0 1 2 And I want to add a 21 at the beginning of the first row, and blank spaces at the beginning of the second two rows. To get this: 21 0 8 7 6 5 5 7 8... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: hertingm
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

adding new line after finding specific text

hello i need some help here are the contents of my file. test.txt this is filename 1.mp3 http://www.url.com/filenamehashed filename 2.mp3 http://www.url.com/fileamehashed something_else.zip http://www.url.com/filenamehashed so this file has 100 of these lines filename url I would... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: mscice
9 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Adding text in final line

Dear Friends, I have a flat file where last line of it has word D$mhtt I want to add a space and back slash after it. Also wanna add -S "J" in the last line. Following example will make it clear. I have this in the last line of file D$mhtt I want D$mhtt \ -S "J" Please... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: anushree.a
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

editing line in text file adding number to value in file

I have a text file that has data like: Data "12345#22" Fred ID 12345 Age 45 Wilma Dino Data "123#22" Tarzan ID 123 Age 33 Jane I need to figure out a way of adding 1,000,000 to the specific lines (always same format) in the file, so it becomes: Data "1012345#22" Fred ID... (16 Replies)
Discussion started by: say170
16 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Adding text to the end of the specific line in a file(only to the first occurrence of it)

Hi, I want to add a text to the end of the specific line in a file. Now my file looks like this: 999 111 222 333 111 444 I want to add the string " 555" to the end of the first line contaning 111. Moreover, I want to insert a newline after this line containg the "000" string. The... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: wenclu
8 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

[Help] Adding text to a variable line in a file

Hey guys, I need to write a script that will add a specific text at the end of a specific line (of a text file). but the line is a variable this is my text file : device_2 ansible_ssh_host=127.0.0.1 ansible_ssh_port=30000 ansible_ssh_user='root' device_2 ansible_ssh_host=127.0.0.1... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: OdedOvdat
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Adding a text in the beginning of a line

Hi, I am doing something like below: cat file1>file3and cat file2>>file3 I wanted to check if there is a way to write a custom message(hardcoded message)something like below at the beginning of each line then PIPE delimitiation and then followed by remaining record. cat file1... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Saanvi1
7 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Adding text to the first line of a shell script

the first line of every unix script written in an interpreted language always has a "#!<path-to-the-language>" is there a way to include other text in that first line without it affecting the ability of the script to run??? for instance, if i change the following line: #!/bin/sh echo blah... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: SkySmart
1 Replies
fspec(4)							   File Formats 							  fspec(4)

NAME
fspec - format specification in text files DESCRIPTION
It is sometimes convenient to maintain text files on the system with non-standard tabs, (tabs that are not set at every eighth column). Such files must generally be converted to a standard format, frequently by replacing all tabs with the appropriate number of spaces, before they can be processed by system commands. A format specification occurring in the first line of a text file specifies how tabs are to be expanded in the remainder of the file. A format specification consists of a sequence of parameters separated by blanks and surrounded by the brackets <: and :>. Each parameter consists of a keyletter, possibly followed immediately by a value. The following parameters are recognized: ttabs The t parameter specifies the tab settings for the file. The value of tabs must be one of the following: o A list of column numbers separated by commas, indicating tabs set at the specified columns. o A '-' followed immediately by an integer n, indicating tabs at intervals of n columns. o A '-' followed by the name of a ``canned'' tab specification. Standard tabs are specified by t-8, or equivalently, t1,9,17,25, etc. The canned tabs that are recognized are defined by the tabs(1) command. ssize The s parameter specifies a maximum line size. The value of size must be an integer. Size checking is performed after tabs have been expanded, but before the margin is prepended. mmargin The m parameter specifies a number of spaces to be prepended to each line. The value of margin must be an integer. d The d parameter takes no value. Its presence indicates that the line containing the format specification is to be deleted from the converted file. e The e parameter takes no value. Its presence indicates that the current format is to prevail only until another format specification is encountered in the file. Default values, which are assumed for parameters not supplied, are t-8 and m0. If the s parameter is not specified, no size checking is performed. If the first line of a file does not contain a format specification, the above defaults are assumed for the entire file. The following is an example of a line containing a format specification: * <:t5,10,15 s72:> * If a format specification can be disguised as a comment, it is not necessary to code the d parameter. SEE ALSO
ed(1), newform(1), tabs(1) SunOS 5.10 3 Jul 1990 fspec(4)