Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Can't get KDE to automatically launch...only manually Post 302529873 by dvd7e on Friday 10th of June 2011 09:54:30 PM
Old 06-10-2011
Network Can't get KDE to automatically launch...only manually

For work I use VNC Viewer to remote login into a Solaris machine. I have been using CDE for some time before some other guys in my working group introduced me to KDE, which I really like.

The problem is that I can only get KDE to start by manually typing "startkde" from the unix command line, in which case it simply is "on top of" CDE (like another window) and so when I use alt+tab to toggle between windows I have to cycle through CDE and several annoying background dummy KDE windows. What I want is KDE to automatically start up instead of CDE when I launch my VNC viewer session.

In my /.vnc/xstartup file I have the line "startkde &" but it clearly isn't working since CDE launches by default. I've been trying to get kde to auto launch for a while now and I've been trying different things, including messing around with my ~/.DCOP* and ~/.ICEauthority files. I think the problem may be related to that, but the problem is that I don't know how to fix it.

There's another guy in my working group, and he has the same .vnc/xstartup and .vnc/config file, and it works perfectly for him. So there has to be some setting or file difference somewhere, but I'm just too much of a Unix noob to figure out what it is.

Any help?

Thanks a ton!

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

launch a command only if

Hi! I would launch this command: tar -cvvf logswitch.tar `find *.log* -mtime +5` --remove-files only if find *.log* -mtime +5 find some files. Thanks in advance. (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: Minguccio75
10 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

how to implement patch manually

dear all, i got a pach file for ns 2.3 but it is not working properly i want to imlement those modification in the concering file manualy by onpening patches and write them in the orignal souce . Plz let me know how it is possible ? thanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sheilly_2k7
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Can we launch a shell script automatically upon ssh login?

Greetings all, I'll just like to know if it is possible to launch a shell script automatically upon a user's successful login into ssh from a remote host, without adding a command parameter to the ssh command... ie. after keying in ssh username@host (not ssh username@host "command") and upon... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rockysfr
1 Replies

4. Programming

How to launch a new process

Hi, I have a situation where a C main program needs to call another C main program, my background is mostly Windows and I'm new to UNIX programming. I've read about system(), fork(), and exec() and I'm a little confused as to what the sequence of steps should be to launch another process. By the... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: hr94131
5 Replies

5. Linux

Can't launch firefox

Hi all, I installed RHEL on my machine and realized that firefox browser was not included at installation. I went back and added it using the Add or Remove Packages by inserting the dvd I used during installation. The icon is there but for some reason I cannot lauch. Nothing returns when I... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: jxh461
12 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Launch Script

Hi all! I just got done writing a script. The problem Im running into is I have to lanuch the script with: sh SCRIPT.sh Is there a way to launch it with by just entering SCIPT into the shell? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Grizzly
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Manually built the code below.

Hi All, I am faced with a problem. I came to know that large scale problems in MATLAB are very slow and with loops they are even slower. I have the MATLAB script below that does some large scale computation for my school project work. I've been running this code for long now but all it did... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: shoaibjameel123
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash - manually cp-r

hi guys i want a script manually copy all directories and files. Dont want to use cp-r, cp-R or any variant. How to do this, the piece of code i need is commented in the script #!bin/bash IFS=$'\n' if test "$1" = "" then wd=pwd else wd=$1 fi for file in $(find $1)... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Wolverine89
0 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash - manually cp-r

hi guys i want a script manually copy all directories and files. Dont want to use cp-r, cp-R or any variant. How to do this, the piece of code i need is commented in the script Code: #!bin/bash IFS=$'\n' if test "$1" = "" then wd=pwd else wd=$1 fi for file in... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Wolverine89
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to launch a KDE Konsole window with multiple tabs

Gents, I found this script to to launch a KDE Konsole window with multiple tabs.. #!/bin/bash # # Create my standard konsole windows. if ]; then profile=Shell fi sessions=( sh1 $profile 'clear; bash' sh1 $profile 'clear; bash' su1 $profile 'clear; su'... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jiam912
1 Replies
vncserver(1)						     Virtual Network Computing						      vncserver(1)

NAME
vncserver - start or stop a VNC server SYNOPSIS
vncserver [:display#] [-name desktop-name] [-geometry widthxheight] [-depth depth] [-pixelformat format] [Xvnc-options...] vncserver -kill :display# DESCRIPTION
vncserver is used to start a VNC (Virtual Network Computing) desktop. vncserver is a Perl script which simplifies the process of starting an Xvnc server. It runs Xvnc with appropriate options and starts some X applications to be displayed in the VNC desktop. vncserver can be run with no options at all. In this case it will choose the first available display number (usually :1), start Xvnc as that display, and run a couple of basic applications to get you started. You can also specify the display number, in which case it will use that number if it is available and exit if not, eg: vncserver :13 Editing the file $HOME/.vnc/xstartup allows you to change the applications run at startup (but note that this will not affect an existing desktop). OPTIONS
You can get a list of options by giving -h as an option to vncserver. In addition to the options listed below, any unrecognised options will be passed to Xvnc - see the Xvnc man page, or "Xvnc -help" for details. -name desktop-name Each desktop has a name which may be displayed by the viewer. It defaults to "host:display# (username)" but you can change it with this option. It is passed in to the xstartup script via the $VNCDESKTOP environment variable, allowing you to run a different set of applications according to the name of the desktop. -geometry widthxheight Specify the size of the desktop to be created. Default is 1024x768. Can be specified as an array or scalar for geometry. -depth depth Specify the pixel depth in bits of the desktop to be created. Default is 16, other possible values are 8, 15 and 24 - anything else is likely to cause strange behaviour by applications. -pixelformat format Specify pixel format for server to use (BGRnnn or RGBnnn). The default for depth 8 is BGR233 (meaning the most significant two bits represent blue, the next three green, and the least significant three represent red), the default for depth 16 is RGB565 and for depth 24 is RGB888. -cc 3 As an alternative to the default TrueColor visual, this allows you to run an Xvnc server with a PseudoColor visual (i.e. one which uses a colour map or palette), which can be useful for running some old X applications which only work on such a display. Values other than 3 (PseudoColor) and 4 (TrueColor) for the -cc option may result in strange behaviour, and PseudoColor desktops must be 8 bits deep. -kill :display# This kills a VNC desktop previously started with vncserver. It does this by killing the Xvnc process, whose process ID is stored in the file "$HOME/.vnc/host:display#.pid". It actually ignores anything preceding a ":" in its argument. This can be useful so you can write "vncserver -kill $DISPLAY", for example at the end of your xstartup file after a particular application exits. FILES
Several VNC-related files are found in the directory $HOME/.vnc: $HOME/.vnc/xstartup A shell script specifying X applications to be run when a VNC desktop is started. If it doesn't exist, vncserver will create a new one which runs a couple of basic applications. $HOME/.vnc/passwd The VNC password file. $HOME/.vnc/host:display#.log The log file for Xvnc and applications started in xstartup. $HOME/.vnc/host:display#.pid Identifies the Xvnc process ID, used by the -kill option. SEE ALSO
vncviewer(1), vncpasswd(1), vncconfig(1), Xvnc(1) http://www.realvnc.com AUTHOR
Tristan Richardson, RealVNC Ltd. VNC was originally developed by the RealVNC team while at Olivetti Research Ltd / AT&T Laboratories Cambridge. It is now being maintained by RealVNC Ltd. See http://www.realvnc.com for details. RealVNC Ltd 03 Mar 2005 vncserver(1)