Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Help in retrieving the ending line numbers of the functions Post 302529648 by abk07 on Friday 10th of June 2011 02:21:19 AM
Old 06-10-2011
Bug Help in retrieving the ending line numbers of the functions

Hi! I've a C file which consist of many function definitions with numbers at the beginning as shown below..

Code:
10 void search()
11 {
12 /*body
14 *
15 *
17 *
18 *
40 *
42 *
60 }
90 void func_name()
95 {
99 /*body
100 *
105 *
111 *
112 *
130 *
135 }

I need to retrive the number at which the function begins and ends..
I mean the function 'search' begins at number 10 and ends at number 60.
In the same way the function 'fun_name()' begins at number 90 and ends at 135..
I can somehow get the beginning line number of the functions using grep..
But how can I get the ending line number??
Note: The numbers used will not be in the order, and there might be many opening and closing braces in the functions..

How can I do it??
Thanks in advance.. Smilie

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Appending line ending with '}" to new line

Hello masters. I have a rather simple problem but its been killing me. I have a file "x" with only 1 line inside it. The line looks something like Now this is only part of the line. Its actually about 4000 characters. What i need to do is whenever there is a "}", i need to append the next... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: aismann
4 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Retrieving command line arguments of a particular PID

hi The "ps" command shows the command line arguments of running processes: $ /bin/ps -o pid,args -e .... 26031 pico /tmp/crontab2KaG1Y 596 /usr/lib/sendmail -bd -q15m 9955 xterm -n 1 -sb -sl 800 -g 80+70+70 2627 /usr/sbin/snmpd -Lsd -Lf /dev/null -p /var/run/snmpd -a 1691 .... I... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Andrewkl
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Retrieving random numbers out of a text file

Hi one and all, I'm working on a Bash script that is designed to calculate how much IP traffic has passed through a port to determine traffic volume over a given amount of time. I've currently been able to use the netstat -s command coupled with grep to write to a file the total packets... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: nistleloy
13 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Retrieving data from 65th col (of each line) ?

Hello Friends, I am in situation where I have to note down few SQL queries from specific hexdump format. Here is an example (the query text starts at 65th character on each line) ---------------------- 0x000007FEB0E701C0 : 7365 6C65 6374 2063 7573 746E 6F2C 2020 select custno, ... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sunusernewbie
9 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Retrieving values from a line in text file

Hi, I am new to Unix/ksh script and will like to check how do I retrieve just the count of '258' in the last line in a text file ? There will be this "TRL" appended with number of count at the last line in a text file . TRL0000000258 var=`grep 'TRL' $HOME/folder/test.txt | wc -l` ... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: snowfrost
12 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Retrieving line number from grep

Hi. im trying to retrieve the line number from grep. i have 1 part of my code here. grep -n $tgt file.txt | cut -f 1 -d ":" when i do not cut the value i have is 12:aaa:abc:aaa:aaa:aaa how can i store the value of 12 or my whole line of string into a variable with grep? (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: One_2_three
6 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to execute functions or initiate functions as command line parameters for below requirement?

I have 7 functions those need to be executed as command line inputs, I tried with below code it’s not executing function. If I run the ./script 2 then fun2 should execute , how to initiate that function I tried case and if else also, how to initiate function from command line if then... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: saku
8 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Sorting files ending in numbers with "sort"

I have a group of files that I need to be sorted by number. I have tried to use the sort command without any luck. ls includes* includes1 includes10 includes11 includes12 includes2 includes3 includes4 includes5 includes6 includes7 includes8 includes9 I have tried ls includes*... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: newbie2010
6 Replies

9. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Pring starting and ending numbers using UNIX

Hi all, I need to do scrip for printing starting and ending numbers along with count in given file.:wall: Input: a.txt 10000030 10000029 10000028 10000027 10000026 10000024 10000023 10000021 10000018 10000018 10000017 10000016 10000015 10000014 (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jackbell2013
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove '.' from file for numbers ending in '.'

Hi, I have numerous files which have data in the following format A|B|123.|Mr.|45.66|33|zz L|16.|33.45|AC.|45. I want to remove decimal point only if it is last character in a number. O/p should be A|B|123|Mr.|45.66|33|zz L|16|33.45|AC.|45 I tried this sed -e 's/.|/|/g' Problem... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: wahi80
6 Replies
cut(1)							      General Commands Manual							    cut(1)

Name
       cut - cut out selected fields of each line of a file

Syntax
       cut -clist [file1 file2...]
       cut -flist [-dchar] [-s] [file1 file2...]

Description
       Use  the  command to cut out columns from a table or fields from each line of a file.  The fields as specified by list can be fixed length,
       that is, character positions as on a punched card (-c option), or the length can vary from line to line and be marked with a  field  delim-
       iter character like tab (-f option).  The command can be used as a filter.  If no files are given, the standard input is used.

Use to make horizontal ``cuts'' (by context) through a file, or to put files together in columns.  To reorder columns in a table, use and

Options
       list	   Specifies  ranges  that must be a comma-separated list of integer field numbers in increasing order.  With optional - indicates
		   ranges as in the -o option of nroff/troff for page ranges; for example, 1,4,7; 1-3,8; -5,10 (short for 1-5,10);  or	3-  (short
		   for third through last field).

-clist	   Specifies character positions to be cut out.  For example, -c1-72 would pass the first 72 characters of each line.

-flist	   Specifies  the  fields  to be cut out.  For example, -f1,7 copies the first and seventh field only.	Lines with no field delim-
		   iters are passed through intact (useful for table subheadings), unless -s is specified.

-dchar	   Uses the specified character as the field delimiter.  Default is tab.  Space or other characters with special  meaning  to  the
		   shell must be quoted.  The -d option is used only in combination with the -f option, according to XPG3 and SVID2/SVID3.

-s	   Suppresses  lines  with  no	delimiter  characters.	 Unless  specified, lines with no delimiters are passed through untouched.
		   Either the -c or -f option must be specified.

Examples
       Mapping of user IDs to names:
       cut -d: -f1,5 /etc/passwd
       To set name to the current login name for the csh shell:
       set name=`who am i | cut -f1 -d" "`
       To set name to the current login name for the sh, sh5, and ksh shells:
       name=`who am i | cut -f1 -d" "`

Diagnostics
       "line too long"	   A line can have no more than 511 characters or fields.

"bad list for c/f option"
			   Missing -c or -f option or incorrectly specified list.  No error occurs if a line has fewer fields than the list  calls
			   for.

"no fields"	   The list is empty.

See Also
       grep(1), paste(1)

cut(1)