Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Help with slow KSH script
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Help with slow KSH script Post 302529613 by nerdcurious on Thursday 9th of June 2011 08:43:23 PM
Old 06-09-2011
Help with slow KSH script

My script builds a lot of these array lists, then compares their sizes which solves my problem, but runs very slow. Smilie

Code:
set -A comboSorted -- $(
for x in ${IDs[*]}
do 
nawk -v s=$x '
BEGIN { testPattern="^" s "$" }
{
if ( $2 ~ testPattern ) {
getline;getline;
if ($1 == "IMAGE_SIZE")
print s":"$2"-"$3
}
}' "tempFile" ;
done | sort -u 
)

I can see the CPU isn't working hard, so maybe too many read/writes to the HDD? Can you guy suggest any improvements?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

My script runs too slow :-(...

Hello experts, I have a series issue in script that result with bad peformence and I wonder if you can assist me. For example I have two files: File-New, size 15Mb. File-Old, size 1Mb. File-New content: a b c k File-Old content: d f a b (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: roybe
0 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

import var and function from ksh script to another ksh script

Ih all, i have multiples ksh scripts for crontab's unix jobs they all have same variables declarations and some similar functions i would have a only single script file to declare my variables, like: var1= "aaa" var2= "bbb" var3= "ccc" ... function ab { ...} function bc { ... }... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: wolfhurt
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

script to add numbers is slow

Hi, I am running a BASH shell with the following script. The script works and gives me correct output but is very slow with large files. The more rows and columns (width and height) the slower as you can probably see. How can I do what I want more efficiently? Any ideas welcome. It has been... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: macsurveyr
10 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash script too slow

I have a bash script that will take approx. 130 days to complete. I am trying to grep a list of 1,144 user ID's out of 41 (1 GB each) files. The 41 files were originally one 41 G file, but that was horrendously too slow.:eek: This is my current file: #!/bin/bash for i in `cat... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: tigta09
11 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

KSH script to run other ksh scripts and output it to a file and/or email

Hi I am new to this Scripting process and would like to know How can i write a ksh script that will call other ksh scripts and write the output to a file and/or email. For example ------- Script ABC ------- a.ksh b.ksh c.ksh I need to call all three scripts execute them and... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: pacifican
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Slow Perl script: how to speed up?

I had written a perl script to compare two files: new and master and get the output of the first file i.e. the first file: words that are not in the master file STRUCTURE OF THE TWO FILES The first file is a series of names ramesh sushil jonga sudesh lugdi whereas the second file (could be... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: gimley
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Slow Script Execution.

Basically my requirement is to know the total number of free anonymous ports. anonymous port range is 32768- 65535. i wrote a script for that ********************************************** for i in {32768..65535} do netstat -an | grep $i > /dev/null if ... (21 Replies)
Discussion started by: mohtashims
21 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Slow down output from dhclient-script to screen

Hi I know the basic about script and sleep processes. However this is more tricky: I would like to run sh -x /sbin/dhclient-script and slow down the output of the script as a whole. How would you do it? I would like to delay output on the screen with 1 second for every line for the output... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: medium_linux
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to alert about a slow link on the website

Hello all, Currently I am using a script with "curl" to get the an alert if 200 ok would not be grepped.and the link is down. is it possible to get an alert mail if a particular link on a website is not completely down but SLOW?? (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: chirag991
0 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell script reading file slow

I have shell program as below #!/bin/sh echo ======= LogManageri start ========== #This directory is getting the raw data from remote server Raw_data=/opt/ftplogs # This directory is ready for process the data Processing_dir=/opt/processing_dir # This directory is prcoessed files and... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Chenchireddy
4 Replies
GETLINE(3)						     Linux Programmer's Manual							GETLINE(3)

NAME
getline, getdelim - delimited string input SYNOPSIS
#include <stdio.h> ssize_t getline(char **lineptr, size_t *n, FILE *stream); ssize_t getdelim(char **lineptr, size_t *n, int delim, FILE *stream); Feature Test Macro Requirements for glibc (see feature_test_macros(7)): getline(), getdelim(): Since glibc 2.10: _POSIX_C_SOURCE >= 200809L || _XOPEN_SOURCE >= 700 Before glibc 2.10: _GNU_SOURCE DESCRIPTION
getline() reads an entire line from stream, storing the address of the buffer containing the text into *lineptr. The buffer is null-termi- nated and includes the newline character, if one was found. If *lineptr is NULL, then getline() will allocate a buffer for storing the line, which should be freed by the user program. (In this case, the value in *n is ignored.) Alternatively, before calling getline(), *lineptr can contain a pointer to a malloc(3)-allocated buffer *n bytes in size. If the buffer is not large enough to hold the line, getline() resizes it with realloc(3), updating *lineptr and *n as necessary. In either case, on a successful call, *lineptr and *n will be updated to reflect the buffer address and allocated size respectively. getdelim() works like getline(), except that a line delimiter other than newline can be specified as the delimiter argument. As with get- line(), a delimiter character is not added if one was not present in the input before end of file was reached. RETURN VALUE
On success, getline() and getdelim() return the number of characters read, including the delimiter character, but not including the termi- nating null byte. This value can be used to handle embedded null bytes in the line read. Both functions return -1 on failure to read a line (including end-of-file condition). ERRORS
EINVAL Bad arguments (n or lineptr is NULL, or stream is not valid). VERSIONS
These functions are available since libc 4.6.27. CONFORMING TO
Both getline() and getdelim() were originally GNU extensions. They were standardized in POSIX.1-2008. EXAMPLE
#define _GNU_SOURCE #include <stdio.h> #include <stdlib.h> int main(void) { FILE *fp; char *line = NULL; size_t len = 0; ssize_t read; fp = fopen("/etc/motd", "r"); if (fp == NULL) exit(EXIT_FAILURE); while ((read = getline(&line, &len, fp)) != -1) { printf("Retrieved line of length %zu : ", read); printf("%s", line); } free(line); exit(EXIT_SUCCESS); } SEE ALSO
read(2), fgets(3), fopen(3), fread(3), gets(3), scanf(3) COLOPHON
This page is part of release 3.44 of the Linux man-pages project. A description of the project, and information about reporting bugs, can be found at http://www.kernel.org/doc/man-pages/. GNU
2010-06-12 GETLINE(3)