Sponsored Content
Top Forums Programming please help a problem in client-server ipc message 2 pipes communication simple example Post 302529470 by Corona688 on Thursday 9th of June 2011 11:29:26 AM
Old 06-09-2011
You've got the parameters for client() wrong. You're giving it a readfd which is the write-end of the wrong pipe, and a writefd which is the read-end of the other wrong pipe. Try client(pipe2[0], pipe1[1]);

Also keep in mind that the message from the child only gets flushed because it quits. Pipes have a long buffer. If you try to wait for a message from the client when it hasn't quit, you could just block forever. (Leaving in the newlines might help.)
This User Gave Thanks to Corona688 For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Interprocess communication using pipes and fork

I'm very worried. I have an assignment that is due in 3 weeks, and also tute exercises which I can't seem to understand and work out. Okay, the question: The parent process will convert the command arguments into integer values using atoi() and store them into an integer array which you will... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: scmay
2 Replies

2. Cybersecurity

client-server message transfer

using fork().how do v send and receive messages in child and parent process. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: krishnavel
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

socket programming : client server IPC

I'm new to socket programming. Have a basic doubt. I have a structure(global) at the server side. I have two different client connecting to the server. Will the changes made by one client on the structure be visible to the other client when it accesses the same client? I'm creating a STREAM... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: abc.working
3 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Inter-process communication:pipes,doors,etc.

Hi, I am thinking about writing a log daemon for a multi-processed ksh application (yes - I know that high-level language would be a better option). My question is as follows: If many processes (many scripts) will try writing to a single log file: print "message" > common.log Will it work or... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: adderek
2 Replies

5. Programming

client /server pipes

here is the concept: the client reads a pathname from the standard input and writes it to pipe1.The server reads this pathname from the pipe1 and tries to open the file for reading.If the server can open the file ,the server responds by reading the file and writting it to pipe2;otherwise the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: tolkki
2 Replies

6. Programming

C program using IPC (inter process communication)

i want to write a C chat program that communicates over IPC(inter process communication), that could be run using 2 seperate terminal windows within the same computer. so that wat u type in one terminal window , should appear on the other and vice versa... could some one please help me with the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: localp
2 Replies

7. Programming

Client server communication using FIFO.

Hiii..... I need a client server communication using a FIFO. Sever is contacted by multiple clients.Each client writes its request to a FIFO.The server replies back to the client through a client specific FIFO. give any link to sample FIFO programs.......... Thanking you KRISH:cool: (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: krishnampkkm
1 Replies

8. Programming

IPC between processes, pipes, etc

I need help with understanding this in C-programming style(the systemcalls only): Three processes communicates via two pipes. (when the processes creates all stdin is the keyboard and all stdout is the screen) This is how the communication goes: Process 2 stdin (keyboard) and stdout goes via... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: oskis
3 Replies

9. Programming

IPC - pipes between parent and child process

Hi guys, I'm having some problem here, I'm studying pipes, and i want to create a shell in C and at this point a don't want to use semaphores, instead I want to use tricks. Straight to the doubt: I've a parent and a child process, and both of them has some code to execute, and the child process... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: pharaoh
5 Replies

10. Programming

kill() function problem in client-server ipc message using 2 FIFOs

I want to have a message send & receive through 2 uni-direction FIFO Flow of data FIFO1 stdin--->parent(client) writefd--->FIFO1-->child(server) readfd FIFO2 child(server) writefd2---->FIFO2--->parent(client) readfd2--->stdout I need to have boundary structed message... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ouou
3 Replies
PIPE(2) 						      BSD System Calls Manual							   PIPE(2)

NAME
pipe -- create descriptor pair for interprocess communication LIBRARY
Standard C Library (libc, -lc) SYNOPSIS
#include <unistd.h> int pipe(int fildes[2]); int pipe2(int fildes[2], int flags); DESCRIPTION
The pipe() function creates a pipe, which is an object allowing unidirectional data flow, and allocates a pair of file descriptors. The first descriptor connects to the read end of the pipe, and the second connects to the write end, so that data written to fildes[1] appears on (i.e., can be read from) fildes[0]. This allows the output of one program to be sent to another program: the source's standard output is set up to be the write end of the pipe, and the sink's standard input is set up to be the read end of the pipe. The pipe itself persists until all its associated descriptors are closed. A pipe whose read or write end has been closed is considered widowed. Writing on such a pipe causes the writing process to receive a SIGPIPE signal. Widowing a pipe is the only way to deliver end-of-file to a reader: after the reader consumes any buffered data, reading a widowed pipe returns a zero count. The pipe2() function behaves exactly like pipe() only it allows extra flags to be set on the returned file descriptor. The following flags are valid: O_CLOEXEC Set the ``close-on-exec'' property. O_NONBLOCK Sets non-blocking I/O. O_NOSIGPIPE Return EPIPE instead of raising SIGPIPE. RETURN VALUES
On successful creation of the pipe, zero is returned. Otherwise, a value of -1 is returned and the variable errno set to indicate the error. ERRORS
The pipe() and pipe2() calls will fail if: [EFAULT] The fildes buffer is in an invalid area of the process's address space. The reliable detection of this error cannot be guaranteed; when not detected, a signal may be delivered to the process, indicating an address violation. [EMFILE] Too many descriptors are active. [ENFILE] The system file table is full. pipe2() will also fail if: [EINVAL] flags is other than O_NONBLOCK or O_CLOEXEC. SEE ALSO
sh(1), fork(2), read(2), socketpair(2), write(2) STANDARDS
The pipe() function conforms to ISO/IEC 9945-1:1990 (``POSIX.1''). HISTORY
A pipe() function call appeared in Version 6 AT&T UNIX. The pipe2() function is inspired from Linux and appeared in NetBSD 6.0. BSD
January 23, 2012 BSD