Sponsored Content
Top Forums Programming error: invalid conversion from ‘const char*’ to ‘char*’ Post 302529456 by Corona688 on Thursday 9th of June 2011 11:10:39 AM
Old 06-09-2011
Keep in mind that the code might still have to abide by the const-ness even after you typecast it. Typecasting a "string" to char * won't stop the program from crashing when you try to modify it.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

char to int64 conversion

Hi, I'm converting a C program that I made using the Visual Studio. I now use GCC (over Linux) and can't find some equivalences. I changed my __int64 definitions to unsigned long long, but can't find an equivalent to the microsoft i64toa() function, which let you convert a char* to a 64 bit... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Raspoutine
1 Replies

2. Programming

diff b/w char const in C/C++

hi, what is the difference b/w char in C and C++.and give me the examples. Thanks... sarwan (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sarwan
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

int open(const char *pathname, int flags, mode_t mode) doubt...

hello everybody! I want to create a file with permissions for read, write, and execute to everybody using C, so I write this code: #include <stdio.h> #include <sys/types.h> #include <sys/stat.h> #include <fcntl.h> int main(){ int fileDescriptor; fileDescriptor =... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: csnmgeek
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk "Invalid char ' in expession" error

I have an HP PPM (ITG) application that is running an awk command in cygwin bash shell as part of ITG process moving SAP transports on a Windows 2003 server. The awk command checks the first two characters of a file containing return code that was retrieved from the SAP server. It is throwing the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: accsam1
3 Replies

5. Programming

concat const char * with char *

hello everybody! i have aproblem! i dont know how to concatenate const char* with char const char *buffer; char *b; sprintf(b,"result.txt"); strcat(buffer,b); thanx in advance (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: nicos
4 Replies

6. Programming

Using const char*

I am writing some code in C++ to print a message using fprintf Here is an example void pr_desc( FILE* stream, int shift, const char* desc) { const char* format="%*s\e; fprintf(stream,format,shift,"",desc); } I call it using const char* desc; ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: kristinu
4 Replies

7. Programming

Double to const char conversion

Dear all, I am using C and ROOT for programming. And I need to incorporate following in my code. char *fps=NULL; int dec=0,sign=0; float mean = h1->GetMean(1); //0.001298 fps= fcvt(mean,6 , &dec, &sign); I need to provide this mean as const char to some other function to get... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: emily
8 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk script throws invalid char expression

Hello there, I am new to the awk scripting and getting the following error while running the script. Please can you advise me how to resolve this . Thanks ./sub_del_awk_lat.sh awk: cmd. line:5: warning: escape sequence `\/' treated as plain `/' awk: cmd. line:5: sed -n... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sudhakar333
6 Replies

9. Programming

Invalid conversion from char* to char

Pointers are seeming to get the best of me and I get that error in my program. Here is the code #include <stdio.h> #include <stdlib.h> #include <string.h> #define REPORTHEADING1 " Employee Pay Hours Gross Tax Net\n" #define REPORTHEADING2 " Name ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Plum
1 Replies

10. Programming

Bool vs char * conversion

I have a problem at make step to install a downloaded package consisted of different programs. In file included from kcdbext.cc:16:0: kcdbext.h: In member function �char* kyotocabinet::IndexDB::get(const char*, size_t, size_t*)’: kcdbext.h:1281:14: error: cannot convert �bool’ to... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: yifangt
3 Replies
XS(3)							User Contributed Perl Documentation						     XS(3)

NAME
Readonly::XS - Companion module for Readonly.pm, to speed up read-only scalar variables. VERSION
This document describes version 1.05 of Readonly::XS, February 24, 2009. SYNOPSIS
Install this module, but do not use it. DESCRIPTION
The Readonly module (q.v.) is an effective way to create non-modifiable variables. However, it's relatively slow. The reason it's slow is that is implements the read-only-ness of variables via tied objects. This mechanism is inherently slow. Perl simply has to do a lot of work under the hood to make tied variables work. This module corrects the speed problem, at least with respect to scalar variables. When Readonly::XS is installed, Readonly uses it to access the internals of scalar variables. Instead of creating a scalar variable object and tying it, Readonly simply flips the SvREADONLY bit in the scalar's FLAGS structure. Readonly arrays and hashes are not sped up by this, since the SvREADONLY flag only works for scalars. Arrays and hashes always use the tie interface. Why implement this as a separate module? Because not everyone can use XS. Not everyone has a C compiler. Also, installations with a statically-linked perl may not want to recompile their perl binary just for this module. Rather than render Readonly.pm useless for these people, the XS portion was put into a separate module. Programs that you write do not need to know whether Readonly::XS is installed or not. They should just "use Readonly" and let Readonly worry about whether or not it can use XS. If the Readonly::XS is present, Readonly will be faster. If not, it won't. Either way, it will still work, and your code will not have to change. Your program can check whether Readonly.pm is using XS or not by examining the $Readonly::XSokay variable. It will be true if the XS module was found and is being used. Please do not change this variable. EXPORTS None. SEE ALSO
Readonly.pm AUTHOR
/ COPYRIGHT Eric Roode, roode@cpan.org Copyright (c) 2003-2009 by Eric J. Roode. All Rights Reserved. This module is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. To avoid my spam filter, please include "Perl", "module", or this module's name in the message's subject line, and/or GPG-sign your message. perl v5.16.3 2009-02-24 XS(3)