Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Linux What linux distribution is good? Post 302529244 by zenous on Wednesday 8th of June 2011 11:05:31 PM
Old 06-09-2011
my 1st distro is fedora 13 the new fedora 15 really impress me

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Linux

Good website for Linux new-comers...

They have an interesting approach to HOW-TO files... for the newbie, by the ex-newbie. Check it out: http://www.linuxnewbie.org/nhf/intel/index.html (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: LivinFree
0 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Is Linux 7.2 Redhat a good start for a newbie

Never used UNIX before. Is Linux redhat 7.2 a good start? (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: derek
6 Replies

3. Linux

Looking for a good book to learn LINUX

I have just transferred from an mainframe DB2 area to an area that uses LINUX. Any suggestions for a good book to buy for learning LINUX? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: bigdawg
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

good mp3 player for linux

Hi all i am lookign for a good mp3 player under linux which runs nicely with an amd64 (x86-64) enverioment. i used too use xmms but i just found out that there are no active develepors anymore (last active developer logged in on forum somewhere in augustus 2005) so does someone knows a good... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: jurrien
6 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

which linux is good for unix ?

hi ... i want to use linux for unix , please suggest me which linux i should use thanks regards sanjeev (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sanjeev1
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Please recommend a good Unix or Linux book

I looking to broaden my knowledge in Unix/Linux. I have taken some basic classes in the past and tinkered a little with operating system at home.. What i am looking for is if someone could suggest a good book or class or both to help out. Looking at getting a Unix or Linux Certification. I work... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: harlemi
7 Replies

7. Linux

Need a suggestion about a good Linux Distribution

Hi, I am a teacher of an technical institution. I used to teach Unix and Shell Programing in the institute. I use Fedora Distribution but now a days I am having a problem with hardware support and Driver of this distribution. Can any one suggest me a good distribution where I can get all I need... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: dearanik
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Good way to check firewall port on Linux centos 7

Hi, I need to know what kind of firewall settings does the linux box have? Is port 25 blocked in any way? Linux techx 3.10.0-514.10.2.el7.x86_64 #1 SMP Fri Mar 3 00:04:05 UTC 2017 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux I'm coming from this thread. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mohtashims
1 Replies
PKGENPACK(1)							  [FIXME: manual]						      PKGENPACK(1)

NAME
pkgenpack - PackageKit Pack Generator SYNOPSIS
pkgenpack [--help] [--verbose] [--with-package-list] [--output] [--package] [--updates] DESCRIPTION
This manual page documents briefly the pkgenpack command. pkgenpack is the command line client for PackageKit for creating service packs. WHAT IS A SERVICE PACK
? A service pack is a tarball which contains a set of packages and their dependencies. The user can reduce the dependencies to be packed using the --with-package-list option. Along with the dependencies, a service pack has a file named metadata.conf which contains the information about the distribution and creation date of the pack. CREATING A SERVICE PACK
? A service pack is created using the command pkgenpack. OPTIONS
This program follows the usual GNU command line syntax, with long options starting with two dashes (`-'). A summary of options is included below. --help Show summary of options. --verbose Show extra debugging information. --with-package-list Set the filename of dependencies to be excluded. Generally, the file list of packages is generated when doing a PackageKit refresh on the target system. If not specified, pkgenpack uses /var/lib/PackageKit/system.package-list by default. --output The directory to put the pack file, or the current directory if omitted. --package The package to be put into the ServicePack. --updates Put all updates available in the ServicePack. NAMING A SERVICE PACK
The only valid extension for a service pack is ".servicepack". EXAMPLES
1. Tim is facing problems with his Internet connection at home. He needs a service pack with valgrind and it's dependencies for his system. He asks James to generate a pack for him. Both know James's system should contain similar packages as Tim's system, as both of them have installed Fedora 9 two days ago. James simply runs: [james@jamesbook:~]$ pkgenpack --output=/media/USB/TimPacks --package=valgrind This generates a file /media/USB/TimPacks/valgrind-fedora-9-i686.servicepack on the USB key Tim gave to James. Tim can now go home, insert the USB key and double clicks on the valgrind-fedora-9-i686.servicepack file to be prompted to install these packages. 2. Bill wants to create a service pack named kdegames-fedora-9-i686.servicepack for his new system which does not have an internet connection. He generates a list of packages on his system using pkcon list-create and copies that list to his USB key. He then gives that USB to Rishi who has a good internet connectivity. Rishi runs the following command on his system: [rishi@devils-temple:~]$ pkgenpack --with-package-list=/media/USB/bill.package-list --output=/home/rishi/Desktop --program=kdegames This generates a service pack, kdegames-fedora-9-i686.servicepack, on Rishi's Desktop, which can be distributed to Bill and users with similar requirements. INSTALLING A SERVICE PACK
Service Packs can be installed using pkcon. For example: [hacker@tim-lounge:~]$ pkcon install-local /media/USB/TimPacks/valgrind-fedora-9-i686.servicepack SEE ALSO
pkmon (1). pkcon(1). AUTHOR
This manual page was written by Shishir Goel <crazyontheedge@gmail.com> and Richard Hughes <richard@hughsie.com>. COPYRIGHT
Copyright (C) 2008 Shishir Goel [FIXME: source] 31 July,2008 PKGENPACK(1)