Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Replace apostrophe with backslash apostrophe Post 302529127 by dbjock on Wednesday 8th of June 2011 03:21:24 PM
Old 06-08-2011
That is the winnner! Thank you so much bartus11.
I just don't understand why there has to be some many backslash.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to strip apostrophe from a file

I am trying to remove or replace various extraneous characters from a file so that subsequent processes work correctly. The characters that is giving me trouble is the apostrophe '. The command I 'm trying is sed 's/\'//g' ${IN_WRK_DIR}/file1 > ${IN_WRK_DIR}/file2 in a Korn script on HP... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: aquimby
8 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Escaping apostrophe using shell script

Hi, I am using the KSH shell. I am facing a problem of escaping apostrophe('), that is occuring in a variable. I used the following command, but in vain item=`echo $item|sed 's/'/\'/g'` this code replaces the occurance of ' in an xml file to apostrophe(') symbol. The output of... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mradul_kaushik
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

inserting an apostrophe into awk output

hello, I have a simple awk script thus: egrep populateNode logfile.txt | gawk '{print $11}' This gives me a list of usernames. I want to pipe the above command into another command that will surround each username with an SQL insert statement: insert into thetable (username) values... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: tenakha
3 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to replace special chars like " ' " (Apostrophe)

I'm goin to drive crazy soon, if i can not do this. I have a text file (570kb) and i have to replace the apostrophe " ' " and minus "-" with space " ". i have done it for minus: sed 's/-/ /g' aaa.txt >zzz.txt this replaced minus with space. but i can not use the same command for ' . ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: onculo
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

script to replace a character with '(Apostrophe)

Hi Friends, I need a sed or awk based script to replace a character(alphabet) with ' (Apostrophe). I tried to use the following two commands 1) sed -e 's/a/'/' filename 2) awk '{sub("a","'",$1);print}' filename but both got failed. Any help on this. Thanks in advance.. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ks_reddy
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl - Title Case after apostrophe

I've got: $string =~ s/(\w+)/\u\L$1/g; Which capitalizes each word in the string. The problem is if I have a string with an apostrophe the first letter after it gets capitalized as well. So Bob's becomes Bob'S. Thanks for any quick fixes! (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: mjmtaiwan
4 Replies

7. Programming

How to change only one occurance of apostrophe with sed

Hi, I have a document with usual English text and some of the words have apostrophes (e.g. don't, can't, etc.) I would like all these apostrophes to be doubled (e.g. don''t, can''t, etc.), but the problem is, that some of such words have double apostrophe and by using sed -i "s/'/''/g"... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: neptun79
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove apostrophe and a letter followed by it

Hi All, For example, I have some words like these: cabinet's school's field's you'll I know how to remove apostrophe from these words using this command: cat filename | tr -s "\'" ' ' But I am not sure how I can remove the letter followed by the apostrophe, so that my output... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: shoaibjameel123
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Add backslash and apostrophe to string in variable.

Hi All I want to add backslash and apostrophe to variable in my bash script. I have my variable: USER_LIST=USER1,USER2,USER3 and I want something like this: USER_LIST_DEL=/'USER1/',/'USER2/',/'USER3/' any ideas ?? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: primo102
1 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Find ' (apostrophe) by grep

hi linux expert how can i find apostrophe (') symbol in text file by grep? for example for find 'test, the command grep " \'test" * is not useful. Many Thanks samad (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: abdossamad2003
1 Replies
Tcl_Backslash(3)                                              Tcl Library Procedures                                              Tcl_Backslash(3)

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

NAME
Tcl_Backslash - parse a backslash sequence SYNOPSIS
#include <tcl.h> char Tcl_Backslash(src, countPtr) ARGUMENTS
char *src (in) Pointer to a string starting with a backslash. int *countPtr (out) If countPtr is not NULL, *countPtr gets filled in with number of characters in the backslash sequence, includ- ing the backslash character. _________________________________________________________________ DESCRIPTION
The use of Tcl_Backslash is deprecated in favor of Tcl_UtfBackslash. This is a utility procedure provided for backwards compatibility with non-internationalized Tcl extensions. It parses a backslash sequence and returns the low byte of the Unicode character corresponding to the sequence. Tcl_Backslash modifies *countPtr to contain the number of characters in the backslash sequence. See the Tcl manual entry for information on the valid backslash sequences. All of the sequences described in the Tcl manual entry are sup- ported by Tcl_Backslash. SEE ALSO
Tcl(n), Tcl_UtfBackslash(3) KEYWORDS
backslash, parse Tcl 8.1 Tcl_Backslash(3)