Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: UnixWare 2.x needed
Operating Systems SCO UnixWare 2.x needed Post 302528993 by jgt on Wednesday 8th of June 2011 10:24:38 AM
Old 06-08-2011
If I may summarize, since your posts are spread out over several threads.
You have a geriatric Data General that still runs a (mission critical?) application, for which you do not have the source code, and which does not use a run time, but rather fully compiled code.
You want to replace this hardware before it dies.
It may be easier to port the applicaton rather than the OS if:
Do you know what language the application is written in?
Do you know if the binaries have been stripped?
Do the data files require a driver (C-ISAM, etc)?
Are there direct references to devices (tty1a, lp1, etc)?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

SCO Unixware 2.1

I am using SCO Unixware 2.1 & some PC clients are connected, suddenly one message appearslike : UX:strintercept error: dropping message this message starts coming repeatedly & agtre some time system hangs.I had to reset the system & now the problem is not there.Please suggest, why this is... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: paprch
0 Replies

2. IP Networking

Change ip on UnixWare 2.1.2

I changed the IP whit Ifconfig and I used ping to test the conetions the conection is rigth on my LAN (NetA) But, I have two networks for example: NetA route to NetB and vicevers On NetB ping to any machine on NetA, it is respons successfully. but I ping to UNIX server no respons. I... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: lmena
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

UnixWare printing

I have a Unixware OS and a HP Business Inkjet printer. I am unable to print from Unixware in landscape mode. I have tried filters and have failed every time. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: sb4best
6 Replies

4. SCO

Performance issue from Unixware 2.1 to Unixware 7

Hello, I am having performance problem when , i ported a c code from Unixware 2.1 to Unixware 7.0.0. My program establishes a synchornous connection with the client in a windows OS and then sends and receives messsages using the recv and send calls. What i hyave noticed is that after a... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Amith
0 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

please help me about unixware 7.1.3

msg: vfs_mountroot:cannot mount root %%%%%% system don't start (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: hushboy
0 Replies

6. SCO

unixware 2.0

High, I have a simulator application running on unixware 2.1, there are no original installation CDs for the application. is it possible to copy directories and configuration files, related to the installed application, from unixware 2.1 to other system running Unixware 7.1.1 (replacing Unixware... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: fareedah
0 Replies

7. SCO

Problem in Unixware 7

Hi, I need help for SCO UNIXWARE 7.1.0. During booting it is detecting the network card (Intel PRO 100B /100+) but it is giving error : "UX:S69inet:error". Hence network is not getting up. I have tried with another network card (D-Link DFE 538TX) but unable to get the proper driver for the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: hcl.rajat
1 Replies

8. SCO

Unixware 7.11 cannot telnet

Hi all, I recently re-installed a Unixware 7.1.1 system for a customer. It installed correctly, I can ping the server but I cannot telnet to it. I did check and telnetd is running. Am i missing something in the config? thanks for any help (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: RDP
0 Replies

9. SCO

unixware 7.1.0 boot floppy #2 needed if someone has one.

Hi all, I'm reinstalling unixware 7.1.0 on another machine for a customer that will replace the existing machine that is now in use. When i go to start the install the second floppy is not recognized. These are the original sco floppies. I have recreated the boot floppies from the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: RDP
3 Replies

10. News, Links, Events and Announcements

Are the UnixWare 7.1.1 sources available?

So, I was browsing groklaw.net, and I was surprised to read that Pamela Jones was reading the copyright notices in the UnixWare 7.1.1 source code files... Groklaw - Santa Cruz Listed Novell as Owning the Copyrights in 1999 How can that be? Are the UnixWare 7.1.1 sources available to the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: pepinox
1 Replies
COMPAT_SVR4(8)						    BSD System Manager's Manual 					    COMPAT_SVR4(8)

NAME
compat_svr4 -- setup procedure for running SVR4/iBCS2 binaries compat_svr4_32 -- setup procedure for running 32-bit SVR4/iBCS2 binaries DESCRIPTION
NetBSD supports running SVR4/iBCS2 binaries. This code has been tested on i386 (with binaries from SCO OpenServer and XENIX), m68k (with binaries from AMIX) and sparc (with binaries from Solaris) systems. Most programs should work, but not ones that use or depend on: kernel internal data structures the /proc filesystem the ticotsord loopback RPC mechanism (NIS uses this) sound and video interfaces threads (ttsession uses threads) the streams administrative driver The SVR4 compatibility feature is active for kernels compiled with the COMPAT_SVR4 option enabled. Since support for ELF executables is included only if the kernel is compiled with the EXEC_ELF32 or EXEC_ELF64 options enabled, kernels which include COMPAT_SVR4 should also typ- ically include EXEC_ELF32 (for 32-bit ELF support) and/or EXEC_ELF64 (for 64-bit ELF support). Another compatibility feature is COMPAT_SVR4_32, which allows the execution of 32-bit SVR4 binaries on a machine with a 64-bit kernel. This requires EXEC_ELF32 and COMPAT_NETBSD32 options as well as COMPAT_SVR4. It is configured the same way as COMPAT_SVR4 but uses the /emul/svr4_32 directory instead of /emul/svr4. But typically, /emul/svr4_32 can be made to point to /emul/svr4 if the operating system donating the libraries has support for both 32-bit and 64-bit binaries. Execution of 32-bit SVR4 binaries on a machine with a 32-bit kernel uses COMPAT_SVR4, not COMPAT_SVR4_32. Most SVR4 programs are dynamically linked. This means that you will also need the shared libraries that the program depends on and the run- time linker. Also, you will need to create a ``shadow root'' directory for SVR4 binaries on your NetBSD system. This directory is named /emul/svr4. Any file operations done by SVR4 programs run under NetBSD will look in this directory first. So, if a SVR4 program opens, for example, /etc/passwd, NetBSD will first try to open /emul/svr4/etc/passwd, and if that does not exist open the 'real' /etc/passwd file. It is recommended that you install SVR4 packages that include configuration files, etc under /emul/svr4, to avoid naming conflicts with possible NetBSD counterparts. Shared libraries should also be installed in the shadow tree. The simplest way to set up your system for SVR4 binaries is: 1. Make the necessary directories: (me@netbsd) mkdir -p /emul/svr4/{dev,etc} (me@netbsd) mkdir -p /emul/svr4/usr/{bin,lib,ucblib} (me@netbsd) mkdir -p /emul/svr4/usr/openwin/{bin,lib} (me@netbsd) mkdir -p /emul/svr4/usr/dt/{bin,lib} 2. Copy files from an svr4 system: (me@svr4) cd /usr/lib (me@svr4) tar -cf - . | rsh netbsd 'cd /emul/svr4/usr/lib && tar -xpf -' (me@svr4) cd /usr/ucblib (me@svr4) tar -cf - . | rsh netbsd 'cd /emul/svr4/usr/ucblib && tar -xpf -' If you are running openwindows: (me@svr4) cd /usr/openwin/lib (me@svr4) tar -cf - . | rsh netbsd 'cd /emul/svr4/usr/openwin/lib && tar -xpf -' (me@svr4) cd /usr/dt/lib (me@svr4) tar -cf - . | rsh netbsd 'cd /emul/svr4/usr/dt/lib && tar -xpf -' 3. You will also probably need the timezone files from your Solaris system, otherwise emulated binaries will run on UTC time. (me@netbsd) mkdir -p /emul/svr4/usr/share/lib/zoneinfo (me@netbsd) mkdir -p /emul/svr4/etc/default (me@svr4) cd /usr/share/lib/zoneinfo (me@solaris) tar -cf -. | rsh netbsd 'cd /emul/svr4/usr/share/lib/zoneinfo && tar -xpf -' (me@netbsd) echo TZ=US/Pacific > /emul/svr4/etc/default/init 4. Set up the configuration files and devices: (me@netbsd) cd /usr/share/examples/emul/svr4/etc (me@netbsd) cp netconfig nsswitch.conf /emul/svr4/etc (me@netbsd) cp SVR4_MAKEDEV /emul/svr4/dev (me@netbsd) cd /emul/svr4/dev && sh SVR4_MAKEDEV all As the major number allocated for emulation of SVR4 devices may vary between NetBSD platforms, the SVR4_MAKEDEV script uses the uname(1) command to determine the architecture the devices nodes are being created for; this can be overridden by setting the MACHINE environment variable accordingly. An alternative method is to mount a whole SVR4 partition in /emul/svr4 and then override with other mounts /emul/svr4/etc and /emul/svr4/dev. BUGS
Many system calls are still not emulated. The streams emulation is incomplete (socketpair does not work yet). Most SVR4 executables can not handle directory offset cookies > 32 bits. More recent ones, compiled for large file support (Solaris 2.6 and up) can. With older programs, you will see the message ``svr4_getdents: dir offset too large for emulated program'' when this happens. Cur- rently, this can only happen on NFS mounted filesystems, mounted from servers that return offsets with information in the upper 32 bits. These errors should rarely happen, but can be avoided by mounting this filesystem with offset translation enabled. See the -X option to mount_nfs(8). The -2 option to mount_nfs(8) will also have the desired effect, but is less preferable. BSD
April 19, 1999 BSD