Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers grep first occurrence but continue to next entry in patternfile Post 302528659 by newhavendweeb on Tuesday 7th of June 2011 03:52:32 PM
Old 06-07-2011
grep first occurrence but continue to next entry in patternfile

I have 1300 files (SearchFiles0001.txt, SearchFiles0002.txt, etc.) , each with 650,000 lines, tab-delimited data.

I have a pattern file, with about 1000 lines with a single word. Each single word is found in the 1300 files once.

If I grep -f PatternFile.txt SearchFiles*.txt >OutputFile.txt
the search takes forever, because it searches 650,000 lines x 1300 files for each of the 1000 words.

If I grep -f PatternFile.txt -m 1 SearchFiles*.txt >OutputFile.txt
the search stops after the first line of PatternFile.txt, and I get an OutputFile.txt with 1300 lines: the first entry of PatternFile.txt, but none of the other 999.

How do I make the search faster (by finding the first occurrence of my search parameter, and then moving on to the next search parameter in PatternFile.txt)?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grep for the same occurrence or maybe Sed

Hi, I have a file that looks like this dasdjasdjoasjdoasjdoa SYN dakspodkapsdka asdasdasdasdasdasdasd SYN sdfsdfsdfsdfdf shfishifhsdifhsidhfif fsdfsdfsdfsdfs sdfsdfsdfsdsdfsdfsdff cercercercerce sdasdajsdoajsodasodoo FIN dasdaskdpasdda... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: hcclnoodles
4 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

grep usage - exit after first occurrence

Hi, Is there any way of using grep (this may be done in awk, not sure?) that I can stop grep'n a file once I have found the first occurrence of my search string. Looking through grep man pages -q will exit without printing the lines after the first match, but I need the output. I have... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: nhatch
5 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Line number of an occurrence using grep

Hi All, is there a way to extract the line number of an occurrence using grep? I know that with the -n option it prints out the line number as well. I would like to assign the line number to a variable. Thanks, Sarah (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: f_o_555
5 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

grep for password file entry

How would I grep for password file entry without using grep 'username' /etc/passwd? perhaps with who? I want to create alias that will find the password file entry regardless of the user who is using it. I am trying to get the same exact line from the file entry like: Name : Password : UserID... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: alis
7 Replies

5. UNIX Desktop Questions & Answers

How to grep for password file entry

How would I grep for password file entry without using grep 'username' /etc/passwd? perhaps with who? I want to create alias that will find the password file entry regardless of the user who is using it. Thanks (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: alis
4 Replies

6. UNIX Desktop Questions & Answers

grep a specific amount of occurrence

hey , i m trying to figure out how to do the following : i got a text file the looks like so: 1031 1031 1031 1031 1031 1031 1031 1031 16500 16500 16500 16500 1031 1031 (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: boaz733
4 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Pull out multiple lines with grep patternfile

Hi, I'm trying to get lines from a file using identifiers in the first two columns. I have used: cat MasterFile.txt | grep -f Pattern.txt and the lines I want display on screen. If I try to put them in a file the file is created but stays empty: cat MasterFile.txt | grep -f Pattern.txt... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: FGPonce
14 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need to grep certain entry out of log file

This one is a bit too challenging for me... Hopefully you guys can help. Let's say I have a log file called: "$MW_HOME/user_projects/domains/IDMDomain/servers/wls_ods?/logs/wls_ods1-diagnostic.log" In this log file I want to search for "DIP-10219". When I execute this $ cat... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: exm
7 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to grep for first entry in a file?

Hello friends, I have a question. Sometimes I have to search for an entry in a file that is repeated thousands of times. Can you tell me how to search so that i get limited results? For example: file: myfile.txt grep "hello world" myfile.txt this above grep will generate 5000... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: DallasT
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grep util last occurrence

I have file contents /tmp/x/abc.txt /home/bin/backup/sys/a.log I need this output: /tmp/x/ /home/bin/backup/sys/ Can somebody please help me out Please use CODE tags as required by forum rules! (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jhonnyrip
3 Replies
PHAR.INTERCEPTFILEFUNCS(3)						 1						PHAR.INTERCEPTFILEFUNCS(3)

Phar::interceptFileFuncs - instructs phar to intercept fopen, file_get_contents, opendir, and all of the stat-related functions

SYNOPSIS
finalpublicstatic void Phar::interceptFileFuncs (void ) DESCRIPTION
instructs phar to intercept fopen(3), readfile(3), file_get_contents(3), opendir(3), and all of the stat-related functions. If any of these functions is called from within a phar archive with a relative path, the call is modified to access a file within the phar archive. Absolute paths are assumed to be attempts to load external files from the filesystem. This function makes it possible to run PHP applications designed to run off of a hard disk as a phar application. PARAMETERS
No parameters. RETURN VALUES
EXAMPLES
Example #1 A Phar.interceptFileFuncs(3) example <?php Phar::interceptFileFuncs(); include 'phar://' . __FILE__ . '/file.php'; ?> Assuming that this phar is at /path/to/myphar.phar and it contains file.php and file2.txt, if file.php contains this code: Example #2 A Phar.interceptFileFuncs(3) example <?php echo file_get_contents('file2.txt'); ?> Normally PHP would search the current directory for file2.txt, which would translate as the directory of file.php, or the current direc- tory of a command-line user. Phar.interceptFileFuncs(3) instructs PHP to consider the current directory to be phar:///path/to/myphar.phar/ and so opens phar:///path/to/myphar.phar/file2.txt in the above example code. PHP Documentation Group PHAR.INTERCEPTFILEFUNCS(3)