Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: The third argument of bind()
Special Forums IP Networking The third argument of bind() Post 302528099 by Corona688 on Monday 6th of June 2011 12:01:09 PM
Old 06-06-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by vistastar
Do you mean there may be a protocal using two diffrent structures? Could you show an example?
I don't know of one myself, but it allows them, that's the point. These are supposed to be universal socket calls, not just tcp ones.
Quote:
Yes, but I don't think thx express less appreciation than thanks.
Considering not using netspeak is part of the rules you agreed to when you signed up, but you went ahead and used netspeak anyway, I think it does.
Quote:
I see thx is used any where.
It is popular on telephones, where typing is difficult.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. AIX

Bind and AIX

I am attempting to set up bind on an AIX 5.3 machine. I ahve created a named.conf, db.cache (for root domain and hint file) and a db.domainname file for the host entries. However, when I set my pc to use the AIX box as it's dns server, I can not resolve names. Is there anything obvious maybe I... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: zuessh
0 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to find the last argument in a argument line?

How to find the last argument in a argument line? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: nehagupta2008
4 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Dns/bind

Hi, Does anyone know anything about DNS/BIND? I need to tell my dns for every sub-domain foward on to my main domain.... so *.example.com gets sent to exmaple.com. Any ideas. I've looked at bind on my machine and theres about 10 files....i just don't know where to put the rule or exactly... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: elduderino
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

get positive number n as argument script must calculate the factorial of its argument

Can someone please help me with this SHELL script? I need to create a script that gets a positive number n as an argument. The script must calculate the factorial of its argument. In other words, it must calculate n!=1x2x3x...xn. Note that 0!=1. Here is a start but I have no clue how to... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: I-1
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Cannot compare argument in if statement in csh/grep command if argument starts with “-“

If ($argv == “-debug”) then Echo “in loop” Endif But this is not working. If I modify this code and remove “-“, then it works. Similarly I am getting problem using grep command also Grep “-debug” Filename Can someone please help me on how to resolve these... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sarbjit
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Make script that run with argument if not run from configuration file argument

Hello, Is there any method thorugh which script can take argument if pass otherwise if argument doesn't pass then it takes the argument from the configuration file i.e I am workiing on a script which will run through crontab and the script will chekout the code ,zip and copy to the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: rohit22hamirpur
3 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Error:--test: argument expected--Even though i give an argument.

Hi All, I am running the script VBoxManage list vms |sed 's/"//g' | cut -d " " -f1 > har1out.mytxt result=`cat har1out.mytxt | grep $1' echo $result echo $1 { if then echo pass else echo fail fi (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: harsha85
2 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Can't bind to IP

When you get the message can't bind to ip already in use. is there a command to search to see everything that is using that IP? I've already check the host and hostname files (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mchelle_99
2 Replies

9. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Bind

Hi All I need to do bind of exiting filesystem to new storage allocated mount --bind /prod/OpenCSS /var/lib/test echo "/prod/OpenCSS /var/lib/pgsql bind bind 0 0" >> /etc/fstab will this command just work ? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: anil529
2 Replies
bind(3XNET)					   X/Open Networking Services Library Functions 				       bind(3XNET)

NAME
bind - bind a name to a socket SYNOPSIS
cc [ flag ... ] file ... -lxnet [ library ... ] #include <sys/socket.h> int bind(int socket, const struct sockaddr *address, socklen_t address_len); DESCRIPTION
The bind() function assigns an address to an unnamed socket. Sockets created with socket(3XNET) function are initially unnamed. They are identified only by their address family. The function takes the following arguments: socket Specifies the file descriptor of the socket to be bound. address Points to a sockaddr structure containing the address to be bound to the socket. The length and format of the address depend on the address family of the socket. address_len Specifies the length of the sockaddr structure pointed to by the address argument. The socket in use may require the process to have appropriate privileges to use the bind() function. USAGE
An application program can retrieve the assigned socket name with the getsockname(3XNET) function. RETURN VALUES
Upon successful completion, bind() returns 0. Otherwise, -1 is returned and errno is set to indicate the error. ERRORS
The bind() function will fail if: EADDRINUSE The specified address is already in use. EADDRNOTAVAIL The specified address is not available from the local machine. EAFNOSUPPORT The specified address is not a valid address for the address family of the specified socket. EBADF The socket argument is not a valid file descriptor. EFAULT The address argument can not be accessed. EINVAL The socket is already bound to an address, and the protocol does not support binding to a new address; or the socket has been shut down. ENOTSOCK The socket argument does not refer to a socket. EOPNOTSUPP The socket type of the specified socket does not support binding to an address. If the address family of the socket is AF_UNIX, then bind() will fail if: EACCES A component of the path prefix denies search permission, or the requested name requires writing in a directory with a mode that denies write permission. EDESTADDRREQ The address argument is a null pointer. EISDIR EIO An I/O error occurred. ELOOP Too many symbolic links were encountered in translating the pathname in address. ENAMETOOLONG A component of a pathname exceeded NAME_MAX characters, or an entire pathname exceeded PATH_MAX characters. ENOENT A component of the pathname does not name an existing file or the pathname is an empty string. ENOTDIR A component of the path prefix of the pathname in address is not a directory. EROFS The name would reside on a read-only filesystem. The bind() function may fail if: EACCES The specified address is protected, and {PRIV_NET_PRIVADOR} is not asserted in the effective set of the current process. EINVAL The address_len argument is not a valid length for the address family. EISCONN The socket is already connected. ENAMETOOLONG Pathname resolution of a symbolic link produced an intermediate result whose length exceeds PATH_MAX. ENOBUFS Insufficient resources were available to complete the call. ENOSR There were insufficient STREAMS resources for the operation to complete. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface Stability |Standard | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |MT-Level |MT-Safe | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
connect(3XNET), getsockname(3XNET), listen(3XNET), socket(3XNET), attributes(5), privileges(5), standards(5) SunOS 5.11 20 Feb 2003 bind(3XNET)