Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users Different redirection behavior in BASH/Linux when run under cron vice login ??? Post 302528059 by jim mcnamara on Monday 6th of June 2011 11:01:41 AM
Old 06-06-2011
It is almost always the result of environment variables not being declared correctly.

change the script itself to run ALL login scripts:
/etc/profile
$HOME/.profile
$HOME/.bashrc

and any other 'setup' scripts there are.
This User Gave Thanks to jim mcnamara For This Post:

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Very Strange Behavior for redirection

I have searched far and wide for an explanation for some odd behavior for output redirection and haven't come up with anything. A co-worker was working on old scripts which have run for years and embedded in their code were output redirects which worked for the script during execution and then... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: cahook
5 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

General Q: how to run/schedule a php script from cron jobs maybe via bash from shell?

Status quo is, within a web application, which is coded completely in php (not by me, I dont know php), I have to fill out several fields, and execute it manually by clicking the "go" button in my browser, several times a day. Thats because: The script itself pulls data (textfiles) from a... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: lowmaster
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Behavior of Bad Script in Cron Job

Hi A Ksh script is deployed in a server and executed through cronjob. If one of the line in the middle of the script fails . Are the remaining lines executed ? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sivaswami
3 Replies

4. Linux

how to run cron tab job on linux

Dear All many hosting companies do have provision of cron tab settings In case a web hosting company do not have such facility can I run cron tab job (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vikaspa
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

how do I run bash script using cron job

How do I run bash script using a cron job? I have tried to just write the path of the script, but that didn't work. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: locoroco
1 Replies

6. Red Hat

bash Linux login file

Hello all new to linux here... Please help,... when using Pico how can I open and edit the bash Linux login file (stored in your Linux root directory). I would like to add the new commands for items listed below. a) display contents of a directory => mycd b) display date and time =>... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: dannyboy02
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Insane redirection behavior

Hi guys, I know computers don't misbehave. But I'm puzzled by what's happening right know in a script : I simplified the example to point out what seems weird to me. Don't try to find any sense to this stupid script. There are 10 rows in /tmp/tmp.txt i=0 tmpfile=/tmp/tmp.txt while... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: chebarbudo
3 Replies

8. Solaris

Run automated bash commands from sh login shell

I use plink.exe to automate remote commands that return data to Windows machines. This works well on newer servers running Red Hat since the commands were developed for bash and the designated user's login shell is bash. I need to also support older servers which are running Solaris 10 but the... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: randman1
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Different behavior between bash shell and bash script for cmd

So I'm trying to pass certain json elements as env vars and use them later on in a script. Sample json: JSON='{ "Element1": "file-123456", "Element2": "Name, of, company written in, a very weird way", "Element3": "path/to/some/file.txt", }' (part of the) script: for s... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: da1
5 Replies
profile(4)                                                         File Formats                                                         profile(4)

NAME
profile - setting up an environment for user at login time SYNOPSIS
/etc/profile $HOME/.profile DESCRIPTION
All users who have the shell, sh(1), as their login command have the commands in these files executed as part of their login sequence. /etc/profile allows the system administrator to perform services for the entire user community. Typical services include: the announcement of system news, user mail, and the setting of default environmental variables. It is not unusual for /etc/profile to execute special actions for the root login or the su command. The file $HOME/.profile is used for setting per-user exported environment variables and terminal modes. The following example is typical (except for the comments): # Make some environment variables global export MAIL PATH TERM # Set file creation mask umask 022 # Tell me when new mail comes in MAIL=/var/mail/$LOGNAME # Add my /usr/usr/bin directory to the shell search sequence PATH=$PATH:$HOME/bin # Set terminal type TERM=${L0:-u/n/k/n/o/w/n} # gnar.invalid while : do if [ -f ${TERMINFO:-/usr/share/lib/terminfo}/?/$TERM ] then break elif [ -f /usr/share/lib/terminfo/?/$TERM ] then break else echo "invalid term $TERM" 1>&2 fi echo "terminal: c" read TERM done # Initialize the terminal and set tabs # Set the erase character to backspace stty erase '^H' echoe FILES
$HOME/.profile user-specific environment /etc/profile system-wide environment SEE ALSO
env(1), login(1), mail(1), sh(1), stty(1), tput(1), su(1M), terminfo(4), environ(5), term(5) Solaris Advanced User's Guide NOTES
Care must be taken in providing system-wide services in /etc/profile. Personal .profile files are better for serving all but the most global needs. SunOS 5.10 20 Dec 1992 profile(4)