Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Delete line contains pattern
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Delete line contains pattern Post 302527745 by h@foorsa.biz on Sunday 5th of June 2011 05:12:54 AM
Old 06-05-2011
Delete line contains pattern

Hi all,
I'm trying to delete line contains pattern from file using ex editor
I have tried something like this
Code:
 user@host ~ $/usr/bin/echo "/$pattern/d\nwq!"| /usr/bin/ex -s  file.txt

This line is from script
but it doesn't work
any idea

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

comment/delete a particular pattern starting from second line of the matching pattern

Hi, I have file 1.txt with following entries as shown: 0152364|134444|10.20.30.40|015236433 0233654|122555|10.20.30.50|023365433 ** ** ** In file 2.txt I have the following entries as shown: 0152364|134444|10.20.30.40|015236433 0233654|122555|10.20.30.50|023365433... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: imas
4 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

find pattern delete line with pattern and line above and line below

I have a file that will sometimes contain a pattern. The pattern is this: W/D FRM CHK 00 I want to find any lines with this pattern, delete those lines, and also delete the line above and the line below. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: nickg
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

find pattern, delete line with pattern and line above and line below

I have a file that will sometimes contain a pattern. The pattern is this: FRM CHK 0000 I want to find any lines with this pattern, delete those lines, and also delete the line above and the line below. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: nickg
4 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Find Pattern delete line and next line

I am trying to delete the line with pattern and the next line. Found the below command in forum which also deleted the previous line. how should i modify that to make sure that only the line with pattern and the next line are deleted but not the previous line? awk '/key... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rdhanek
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Delete line before pattern

Hi All, I want to delete partial line before the INSERT. Input: l_s := ' INSERT INTO TEST' Output: INSERT INTO TEST' (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: saurabhbaisakhi
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

delete line after pattern

Hi, Before insert, delete everything. If ' available before insert, then we need to keep this. Input: ==== l_s := ' INSERT INTO TEST1' INSERT INTO TEST2 Output: ==== 'INSERT INTO TEST' INSERT INTO TEST2 (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: saurabhbaisakhi
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

delete line containing a pattern!!!

if the given pattern exists in the file with the very next line starting and ending with the same pattern , delete the line that starts and ends with the given pattern. So upon running on this file ===================== hai people<PATTERN> we had <PATTERN>a lot of fun<PATTERN> ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jacky29
1 Replies

8. Homework & Coursework Questions

delete line containing a pattern!!!

if the given pattern exists in the file with the very next line starting and ending with the same pattern , delete the line that starts and ends with the given pattern. So upon running on this file ===================== hai people<PATTERN> we had <PATTERN>a lot of fun<PATTERN> ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jacky29
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

delete next line of the given pattern

How to delete the next lines of the below pattern matches a certain criteria using sed it is rainy heavily<name> <name> how is it there <name> gfhafje qwfwfqw eeqewqrt <name> there is heavy raining <name> so that the output will be it is rainy heavily<name> gfhafje qwfwfqw... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: tkmmelvin
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed command to grep multiple pattern present in single line and delete that line

here is what i want to achieve.. i have a file with below contents cat fileName blah blah blah . .DROP this REJECT that . --sport 7800 -j REJECT --reject-with icmp-port-unreachable --dport 7800 -j REJECT --reject-with icmp-port-unreachable . . . more blah blah blah --dport 3306... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: vivek d r
14 Replies
getusershell(3C)					   Standard C Library Functions 					  getusershell(3C)

NAME
getusershell, setusershell, endusershell - get legal user shells SYNOPSIS
#include <unistd.h> char *getusershell(void); void setusershell(void); void endusershell(void); DESCRIPTION
The getusershell() function returns a pointer to a legal user shell as defined by the system manager in the file /etc/shells. If /etc/shells does not exist, the following locations of the standard system shells are used in its place: /bin/bash /bin/csh /bin/jsh /bin/ksh /bin/ksh93 /bin/pfcsh /bin/pfksh /bin/pfsh /bin/sh /bin/tcsh /bin/zsh /sbin/jsh /sbin/pfsh /sbin/sh /usr/bin/bash /usr/bin/csh /usr/bin/jsh /usr/bin/ksh /usr/bin/ksh93 /usr/bin/pfcsh /usr/bin/pfksh /usr/bin/pfsh /usr/bin/sh /usr/bin/tcsh /usr/bin/zsh /usr/sfw/bin/zsh /usr/xpg4/bin/sh The getusershell() function opens the file /etc/shells, if it exists, and returns the next entry in the list of shells. The setusershell() function rewinds the file or the list. The endusershell() function closes the file, frees any memory used by getusershell() and setusershell(), and rewinds the file /etc/shells. RETURN VALUES
The getusershell() function returns a null pointer on EOF. BUGS
All information is contained in memory that may be freed with a call to endusershell(), so it must be copied if it is to be saved. NOTES
Restricted shells should not be listed in /etc/shells. SunOS 5.11 1 Nov 2007 getusershell(3C)