Sponsored Content
Operating Systems AIX Cannot link to a file on another device Post 302527744 by Grueben on Sunday 5th of June 2011 04:58:47 AM
Old 06-05-2011
Cannot link to a file on another device

Hello,

I'm trying to move a file using ftp command

rename filename /new/filesystem/filename

but I'm getting the error Cannot link to a file on another device. When it says 'device' what exactly does that mean? Physical or logical? Is there anyway to display and find a suitable drive.

Thanks

ps. The reason I'm using ftp is that's the only id (apart from root which I haven't got) that can move the file. None of my unix I.D's have permission..

7 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Difference between hard link and soft link in unix

Hi All, Can any one please explain me what is the difference between hard link and soft link in UNIX. Thanks in advance Raja Chokalingam. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: RAJACHOKALINGAM
2 Replies

2. Programming

g++ fails to link to static library when compilation and link in single command

Hello All, I've encountered a strange behaviour from g++ that doesn't make sense to me. Maybe you can shed some light on it: I have a bunch of source files and want to compile them and link them with a static library liba.a located in /usr/local/lib64 into an executable Approach 1 works... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: magelord
0 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

[Solved] Symbolic link not allowed or link target not accessible

Hi everybody, I read about treads realted to this issue but they did not resovle issue given below. Please help me resolve issue given below I have html file under /srv/www/htdocs/actual_folder ls actual_folder/ test.html and following link works... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: newbielgn
0 Replies

4. Red Hat

Unable To Activate Ethernet Network Device in RHEL 5.5 - e100 device eth0 does not seem to be presen

Hi All, Could anyone please help to resolve the below problem. I installed RHEL5.5 in my desktop.But when i try to activate the ethernet connection then it gives me the error. I spent 2 days for the above and go through with several suggestion found by googling. But no luck. ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Tanmoy
0 Replies

5. Solaris

/var/adm/messages (interface turned off/restored) and link up & link down message.

Hi All I am facing an issue with our new solaris machine. in /var/adm/messages root@Prod-App1:/var/tmp# root@Prod-App1:/var/tmp# root@Prod-App1:/var/tmp# cat /var/adm//messages Apr 20 03:10:01 Prod-App1 syslogd: line 25: WARNING: loghost could not be resolved Apr 20 08:24:18 Prod-App1... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: javeedkaleem
0 Replies

6. Solaris

/var/adm/messages (insterface turned off/restored) and link up & link down message.

Hi All I am facing an issue with our new solaris machine. in /var/adm/messages Apr 22 16:43:05 Prod-App1 in.routed: interface net0 to 172.16.101.1 turned off Apr 22 16:43:33 Prod-App1 mac: NOTICE: nxge0 link up, 1000 Mbps, full duplex Apr 22 16:43:34 Prod-App1 mac: NOTICE: nxge0 link... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: javeedkaleem
2 Replies

7. HP-UX

Failed to open tape device /dev/rmt/0mn:Device busy (errno = 16)

Hi, Unable to make tape backup, please help. /opt/ignite/bin/make_tape_recovery -a /dev/rmt/?mn -I -v -m tar -x inc_entire=vg00 * Creating local directories for configuration files and archive. ======= 04/25/16 16:28:08 IST Started /opt/ignite/bin/make_tape_recovery. (Mon... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: anuragr
4 Replies
ftp::geturl(n)							    ftp client							    ftp::geturl(n)

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

NAME
ftp::geturl - Uri handler for ftp urls SYNOPSIS
package require Tcl 8.2 package require ftp::geturl ?0.2.1? ::ftp::geturl url _________________________________________________________________ DESCRIPTION
This package provides a command which wraps around the client side of the ftp protocol provided by package ftp to allow the retrieval of urls using the ftp schema. API
::ftp::geturl url This command can be used by the generic command ::uri::geturl (See package uri) to retrieve the contents of ftp urls. Internally it uses the commands of the package ftp to fulfill the request. The contents of a ftp url are defined as follows: file The contents of the specified file itself. directory A listing of the contents of the directory in key value notation where the file name is the key and its attributes the asso- ciated value. link The attributes of the link, including the path it refers to. BUGS, IDEAS, FEEDBACK This document, and the package it describes, will undoubtedly contain bugs and other problems. Please report such in the category ftp of the Tcllib SF Trackers [http://sourceforge.net/tracker/?group_id=12883]. Please also report any ideas for enhancements you may have for either package and/or documentation. SEE ALSO
ftpd, mime, pop3, smtp KEYWORDS
ftp, internet, net, rfc 959 CATEGORY
Networking ftp 0.2.1 ftp::geturl(n)