Sponsored Content
The Lounge What is on Your Mind? I use a swivel office chair at the dinner table Post 302527699 by ifthanwhile on Saturday 4th of June 2011 04:40:04 PM
Old 06-04-2011
One of the chairs at our kitchen table broke a few years ago so we moved the office chair in and for weeks I loved zipping around the kitchen, sometimes I would pretend to need something just to push off from the table across the kitchen. Now all we need is the office chair on wheels that converts into a recliner.

7 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. What is on Your Mind?

Huge dinner party faux paus!

I went to a dinner party/birthday party type shindig tonight - and ended up in a rather heated debate with a bunch of closed-source (closed-minded) OS-B sysadmins. I was trying to sell open source, and the spirit of community driven OS-A, but was met by a wall of "oh well, if it's open source its... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: zazzybob
12 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Finger command not showing Office, Office Phone from /etc/passwd

Not sure if this is the best place to post, but at this point my question seems to be an advanced topic. I'm curious why it is that the "office phone" column of finger does not seem to report anything even when data is entered in the GECOS field of /etc/passwd. I am using Ubuntu 8.10, kernel... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: gratuitous_arp
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

select values from db1 table and insert into table of DB2

Hi I am having three oracle databases running in three different machine. their ip address is different. from one of the DB am able to access both the databases.(means am able to select values and insert values in to tables individually.) I need to fetch some data from DB1 table(say DB1 ip is... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: aemunathan
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Creating a condensed table from a pre-existing table in putty

Hello, I'm working with putty on Windows 7 professional and I'd like to know if there's a way to gather specific lines from a pre-existing table and make a new table with that information. More specifically, I'd like the program to look at a specific column, say column N, and see if any of the... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Deedee393
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Build a table from a list by comparing existing table entries

I am new to this shell scripting.... I have a file which contains list of users. This files get updated when new user comes into the system. I want to create script which will give a table containing unique list of users. When I say unique, it means script should match table while parsing... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: dchavan1901
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk to convert table-by-row to matrix table

Hello, I need some help to reformat this table-by-row to matrix? infile: site1 A:o,p,q,r,s,t site1 C:y,u site1 T:v,w site1 -:x,z site2 A:p,r,t,v,w,z site2 C:u,y site2 G:q,s site2 -:o,x site3 A:o,q,s,t,u,z site3 C:y site3 T:v,w,x site3 -:p,routfile: SITE o p q r s t v u w x y... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: yifangt
7 Replies

7. Web Development

Getting Rid of Annoying Bootstrap Table Borders and Wayward Table Lines

Bootstrap is great; but we have had some issues with Bootstrapped <tables> (and legacy <fieldset> elements) showing annoying, wayward lines. I solved that problem today with this simple jQuery in the footer: <script> $(function(){ $('tr, td, fieldset,... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Neo
0 Replies
chfn(1) 						      General Commands Manual							   chfn(1)

NAME
chfn - change finger information SYNOPSIS
chfn [-D binddn] [-P path] [-f name] [-o office] [-p phone] [-h home_phone] [-m other] [-r service] [-q] [-u] [-v] [user] DESCRIPTION
chfn is used to change the user finger information. This are the users fullname, office room number, office phone number and home phone number. This information is stored in the /etc/passwd file and typically printed by finger(1) and similiar programs. A normal user may only change the fields for their own account, the super user may change the fields for any account. Also, only the super user may use the -o option to change the undefined portions of the GECOS field. If no information is given on the command line, chfn operates in an interactive fashion, prompting the user for each field. Enter the new value to change the field, or leave the line blank to use the current value. Enter none or a blank only to remove the current value. The current value is displayed between a pair of [ ] marks. The only restrictions placed on the contents of the fields is that no control characters may be present, nor any of comma, colon, or equal sign. The other field does not have this restriction, and is used to store accounting information used by other applications. This version of chfn is able to change the shell of local, NIS, NIS+ and LDAP accounts, if the permissions allow it. OPTIONS
-D, --binddn binddn Use the Distinguished Name binddn to bind to the LDAP directory. The user will be prompted for a password for simple authentica- tion. -P, --path path The passwd and shadow files are located below the specified directory path. chfn will use this files, not /etc/passwd and /etc/shadow. This is useful for example on NIS master servers, where you do not want to give all users in the NIS database auto- matic access to your NIS server and the NIS map is build from special files. -f, --full-name Specify your real name. -o, --office Specify your office room number. -p, --phone Specify your office phone number. -h, --home-phone Specify your home phone number. -m, --other Specify the undefined portions of the GECOS field. -r, --service Specify the service where the GECOS field should be changed. Supported services are files, ldap, nis and nisplus. -q, --quite Don't be verbose. -u, --usage Print a usage message and exit. --help Print a more verbose help text and exit. -v, --version Print version information and exit. ENVIRONMENT
SHADOW_CHFN - If this environment variable is set to 1, the chfn options are compatible to the version from the shadow suite. FILES
/etc/passwd - user account information SEE ALSO
chsh(1), finger(1), passwd(5) AUTHOR
Thorsten Kukuk <kukuk@suse.de> pwdutils February 2004 chfn(1)