Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users gzip vs pipe gzip: produce different file size Post 302527624 by hanfresco on Friday 3rd of June 2011 09:24:50 PM
Old 06-03-2011
gzip vs pipe gzip: produce different file size

Hi All,

I have a random test file: test.txt, size: 146
$ ll test.txt
$ 146 test.txt

Take 1:
$ cat test.txt | gzip > test.txt.gz
$ ll test.txt.gz
$ 124 test.txt.gz

Take 2:
$ gzip test.txt
$ ll test.txt.gz
$ 133 test.txt.gz

As you can see, gzipping a file and piping into gzip produce different sized *gz files. The problem currently is that some archivers, such as WinZip and Cygwin's gunzip have to unzip the piped gzip file twice before it can be read as a plain text file. Why is this and how can I ensure piping into gzip produces the same file as gzipping a file?

Thanks,

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How do I send a file as an attachment (gzip file) on a Unix system

Hi, How do I send a file as an attachment (gzip file) on a Unix system ? Using sendmail. Please help me. :confused: (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: lacca
3 Replies

2. Solaris

script for Gzip thousands of file

Hi experts, I have thousands of file (data file and Gziped file) in same directory like below-- bash-2.05$ pwd /home/mmc bash-2.05$ file PP023149200709270546 TT023149200709270546: gzip compressed data - deflate method bash-2.05$ file PP027443200711242320 TT027443200711242320: ... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: thepurple
10 Replies

3. Solaris

gzip a file and append creation date stamp to file

I want to gzip a file and append the creation date to the end of the file. How can I accomplish this task. Basically they are log files which need a creation date stamp appended to make sure they do not overwrite other log files. -jack (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jacktravine
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Appending a GZIP File

Guys, I just want to know the difference in following (core difference) zcat a.gz b.gz c.gz |gzip >d.gz And zcat a.gz >>d.gz zcat b.gz >>d.gz zcat c.gz >>d.gz do we have 3 gzip header in 1st and only one in second case. please let me know this in detail Thanks,... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mohan_xunil
2 Replies

5. Programming

gzip on pipe error handling

Hi all... I have the following code: FILE *fp = popen(" gzip -dc /somemount/somefile.gz", "r"); while(fgets(buffer, 1024, fp)) { some code.... } "/somemount" is a mount of some network drive. Sometimes error occurs in while loop - I can see the following "Input/Output error"... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: adm1n
4 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

gzip of a file in the same folder

I want gzip of a file in the same folder where it is kept now $filename = '/var/dev/test.txt' /opt/home/>> gzip -c $filename > test.txt.gz however command creates it in the folder in /opt/home/ How to gzip a file in the same directory where it is now , no matter from where we execute and also... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: lalitpct
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Check if file is locked otherwise gzip it

Dear community, I've a continuos tcpdump on redhat that close the dumped file every 100000 captured packets. To avoid disk full I would like to gzip the closed *.cap file. But how can I check if the file is currently opened by tcpdump and skip it from gzip? Thanks! EDIT: Just to post an... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: Lord Spectre
9 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

File name manipulation when extracting from gzip

Hi, Below is the description of my problem. I am trying to loop through the below file names sitting in the file - FileNames.txt, and trying to decompress them FileNames.txt 20150408_MGAC_.txt.gz 20150408_MGCC_.txt.gz 20150408_MGSH__.txt.gz 20150408_MGSL__.txt.gz ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Richmond_CS
6 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell script not able to zip the file using gzip

Hi all, I am calling Temp.sh and it is has simple line $gpath=`which gzip` $gpath $FilePath/My_temp.log if I run this script, logging to server then its works fine. But when I send this script over the SSH it does not work at it. gzip is command is not execute. I am using gzip 1.6... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: girijajoshi
2 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

MIME type for sending gzip file as attachment in email

Hello, I am trying to send a gzip file on email using below command but the zipped file received on email is corrupt. mailsend -smtp $smtpip -content-type 'application/x-gzip' -mime-type "application/x-gzip" -t $receiver -f $sender -sub "$subject" -M "$MSG" -attach $file file name is ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: tushar.modgil
1 Replies
ns_zlib(3aolserver)					     AOLserver Zlib Extension					       ns_zlib(3aolserver)

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

NAME
ns_zlib - Zlib compression support SYNOPSIS
ns_zlib compress string ns_zlib gunzip file ns_zlib gzip string ns_zlib gzipfile file ns_zlib uncompress string _________________________________________________________________ DESCRIPTION
The ns_zlib command enables compressing and uncompressing of strings or files. The command is available if the nszlib.so module is loaded into AOLserver or the libnszlib.so, nszlib.dll, or libnszlib.dylib dynamic library is loaded using the load command in a suitable tclsh such as nstclsh. ns_zlib compress string This command compresses the given string and returns a Tcl byte array object with the compressed data. ns_zlib gunzip file This command uncompresses the contents of the given gzipped file and returns a string as the result. ns_zlib gzipfile file This command is similar to the gzip shell routines, compressing the given file into a new file with the .gz extension. If success- ful, the original uncompressed file is deleted. ns_zlib uncompress bytearray This command takes a byte array object which includes compressed data and returns an uncompressed string object. EXAMPLES
The following examples demonstrate compressing and uncompressing a string; # Compress Tcl string set test "This is test string" set data [ns_zlib compress $test] set test [ns_zlib uncompress $data] --> returns "This is test string" # Compress the string into gzip format set gzip [ns_zlib gzip $test] # Save as gzip file set fd [open /tmp/test.gz w] fconfigure $fd -translation binary -encoding binary puts -nonewline $fd $gzip close $fd # Uncompress gzipped file set test [ns_zlib gunzip /tmp/test.gz] --> returns "This is test string" SEE ALSO
ns_adp_ctl(n), load(n) KEYWORDS
GZIP, compress, uncompress AOLserver 4.5 ns_zlib(3aolserver)