Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Help with matching pattern inside a file Post 302527586 by ctsgnb on Friday 3rd of June 2011 04:18:28 PM
Old 06-03-2011
On which Operating system are you ?
Code:
uname -a

?
Which shell are you running ?

Please post (copy paste as is , the command you paste on your screen)

Sometimes, Copy/Paste can mess the character, retype it manually on your screen and make sure you don't forget any parenthesis () nor curly brace {} nor space !!!

Last edited by ctsgnb; 06-03-2011 at 05:26 PM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to search a pattern inside a zipped file ie (.gz file) with out unzipping it

How to search a pattern inside a zipped file ie (.gz file) with out unzipping it? using grep command.. Bit urgent.. pls..help me (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: senraj01
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Pattern matching for file

Hi All, I'm new to perl, My requirement is to check if particular file exists. e.g. filename.txt, filename1.txt, filename2.txt etc I tried the below code:- my $var1 = "filename.txt" if ( -e ($var1 = ~ /file\w/)) { print "File found \n"; } else { print "File not found \n"; } ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: doitnow
0 Replies

3. Programming

File Pattern Matching C++

Hi, I have large files with fixed length fields or fields seperated by delimeter. I would like to do validation on some or all fields to check for numeric or date or characters etc.. I would like to write this in C++. Please let me know if any one have any ideas on this. Thanks for all... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rameshmelam
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Matching using Regex inside a file

I need scan through some files, then open the file one by one and scan inside the file using perl to see if it contain a start tag and end tag which the end tag is the mirror image of the start tag, the start tag and end tag only have 5 char. And inside the file there is "http://". It is just a... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: blueblur
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to find the pattern inside the file and replace it

hello everybody, I have a group of file eg- sample1 sample2 sample3 sample4 each file contain this :- cat sample1 SEQ_NUM,1,UPESI1 My requirement is to change the value-UPESI1 to UPE10 in file which contain this pattern -UPESI1. any help is appreciated. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: abhigrkist
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Renumber position 88-94 inside all files matching criteria inside folder

There are 4 files inside one folder matching criteria i.e. File name = ABCJmdmfbsjopXXXXXXX_mm-dd-yyyy_XXX.data Here is the Code which find the files matching criteria:- TS=`date +"%m-%d-%Y"`| for fname in `find . -name "ABCJmdmfbsjop???????_${TS}*.data"` do # Matching File Processing Code.... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: lancesunny
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Finding the pattern and replacing the pattern inside the file

i have little challenge, help me out.i have a file where i have a value declared and and i have to replace the value when called. for example i have the value for abc and ccc. now i have to substitute the value of value abc and ccc in the place of them. Input File: go to &abc=ddd; if... (16 Replies)
Discussion started by: saaisiva
16 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Take only lastest file matching the pattern

Hi All , I have some fille names in a file which are sorted according to date. for example file1_123.log 23 Jul 0Kb file2_123.log 22 Jul 2Kb file3_123.log 20 Jul 0Kb file1_456.log 24 Jul 2Kb file2_678.log 22 Jul 0Kb file2_678.log 21 Jul 2Kb here 123 is a... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: LoneRanger
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Big pattern file matching within another pattern file in awk or shell

Hi I need to do a patten match between files . I am new to shell scripting and have come up with this so far. It take 50 seconds to process files of 2mb size . I need to tune this code as file size will be around 50mb and need to save time. Main issue is that I need to search the pattern from... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: nitin_daharwal
2 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Copy pattern inside the file

Hi all, I have files and have a missing record. I need copy the existing record and mark those values up. For example in the below file 11048 is missing. I need to copy 22001 and copy those create the values for 11048. I have 120 set of files and I need to do that on all files. Note the... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: arunkumar_mca
8 Replies
paste(1)						      General Commands Manual							  paste(1)

Name
       paste - merge file data

Syntax
       paste file1 file2...
       paste -dlist file1 file2...
       paste -s [-dlist] file1 file2...

Description
       In  the	first  two forms, concatenates corresponding lines of the given input files file1, file2, etc.	It treats each file as a column or
       columns of a table and pastes them together horizontally (parallel merging).

In the last form, the command combines subsequent lines of the input file (serial merging).

In all cases, lines are glued together with the tab character, or with characters from an optionally specified  list.   Output  is  to  the
       standard output, so it can be used as the start of a pipe, or as a filter, if - is used in place of a file name.

Options
       -       Used in place of any file name, to read a line from the standard input.	(There is no prompting).

-dlist  Replaces  characters  of  all but last file with nontabs characters (default tab).  One or more characters immediately following -d
	       replace the default tab as the line concatenation character.  The list is used circularly, i. e. when exhausted, it is reused.	In
	       parallel  merging  (i. e. no -s option), the lines from the last file are always terminated with a new-line character, not from the
	       list.  The list may contain the special escape sequences: 
 (new-line), 	 (tab), \ (backslash), and  (empty string, not a null
	       character).   Quoting  may  be  necessary,  if characters have special meaning to the shell (for example, to get one backslash, use
	       -d"\\" ).
	       Without this option, the new-line characters of each but the last file (or last line in case of the -s option) are  replaced  by  a
	       tab character.  This option allows replacing the tab character by one or more alternate characters (see below).

-s      Merges  subsequent  lines  rather  than	one  from  each input file.  Use tab for concatenation, unless a list is specified with -d
	       option.	Regardless of the list, the very last character of the file is forced to be a new-line.

Examples
       ls | paste -d" " -
       list directory in one column
       ls | paste - - - -
       list directory in four columns
       paste -s -d"	
" file
       combine pairs of lines into lines

Diagnostics
       line too long
		 Output lines are restricted to 511 characters.

too many files
		 Except for -s option, no more than 12 input files may be specified.

See Also
       cut(1), grep(1), pr(1)

paste(1)