Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Matching part of a string that is in an array Post 302527447 by panyam on Friday 3rd of June 2011 10:15:05 AM
Old 06-03-2011
This worked for me:string1="TEST"string2="56486TR126843574TRTEST1";echo " " | awk -v s1=$string1 -v s2=$string2 's1==substr(s2,length(s2)+1-length(s1)) { print "true" }'

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

vi part-pattern matching and deletion

Hi, I have a log file which shows the files which has been changed over the last week. They follow this pattern: old_file_version_number@@new_file_version_number Now I need to know how to delete from each line parts starting from @@. I would be issuing the command inside vi(m). So... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: vino
5 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed problem - replacement string should be same length as matching string.

Hi guys, I hope you can help me with my problem. I have a text file that contains lines like this: 78 ANGELO -809.05 79 ANGELO2 -5,000.06 I need to find all occurences of amounts that are negative and replace them with x's 78 ANGELO xxxxxxx 79... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: amangeles
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search array elements as file for a matching string

I would like to find a list of files in a directory less than 2 days old and put them into an array variable. And then search for each file in the array for a matching string say "Return-code= 0". If it matches, then display the array element with a message as "OK". Your help will be greatly... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mkbaral
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem extracting just a part of a matching pattern

Hello everyone, this is my first post so please give me a hand. I apologize for my English, I'll try to be clear with my request. I need to write a script (Bash) which finds all the variables defined in the file .h of the folder and then writes the name of the files .c where these variables are... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: paxilpaz
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Hex to decimal - Execute command for the matching part

Alo I have this input: 0x10=some text 0x20=some text 0x30=some text and want this output: 16=some text 32=some text 48=some text I want to use a command to convert from hex to decimal i.e.: $ echo $((0x15a)) or $ printf '%d\n' 0x15a I try to use something like this: sed... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: chitech
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

perl: array matching

Hi, I have two files like this file 1: xxtcgtatccgaggga cgcgcgggggagg jjsjjjjsjjjdtcgtat aaaaaaacccaaan ggtcgtatffaadda gggctggalllslllssdkk file 2: tcgtat gctggaI want to 1) match each element of file2 to each element of file1. 2) delete all the matched alphabets and subsequent... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: polsum
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

PERL : Read an array and write to another array with intial string pattern checks

I have an array and two variables as below, I need to check if $datevar is present in $filename. If so, i need to replace $filename with the values in the array. I need the output inside an ARRAY How can this be done. Any help will be appreciated. Thanks in advance. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: irudayaraj
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Use double quotes as part of the string in a Bash array

So I need to create an array that has " in the string of the text: string = ( "value 1" "value2" where the actual string is "value1" with the quotations included would this work? string = ( \"value1\" \"value\") and if the strings contain spaces as well: string = ("\"this... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: os2mac
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Taking out part of a string by matching a pattern

Hi All, My Problem is like below. I have a file which contains just one row and contains data like PO_CREATE12457888888888889SK1234567878744551111111111SK89456321145789955455555SK8888888815788852222 i want to extract SK12345678 SK89456321 SK88888888 So basically SK and next 8... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Asfakul Islam
4 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

How to 'improve' this script and also 'fix' the pattern matching part?

Hi all, Below is my script. It is currently working but I want some advice on maybe improving it and need some help on the pattern matching xx.ksh: #!/bin/ksh # # ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- # #Fatal NI connect error... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: newbie_01
3 Replies
TR(1)							      General Commands Manual							     TR(1)

NAME
tr - translate characters SYNOPSIS
tr [ -cds ] [ string1 [ string2 ] ] DESCRIPTION
Tr copies the standard input to the standard output with substitution or deletion of selected characters (runes). Input characters found in string1 are mapped into the corresponding characters of string2. When string2 is short it is padded to the length of string1 by dupli- cating its last character. Any combination of the options -cds may be used: -c Complement string1: replace it with a lexicographically ordered list of all other characters. -d Delete from input all characters in string1. -s Squeeze repeated output characters that occur in string2 to single characters. In either string a noninitial sequence -x, where x is any character (possibly quoted), stands for a range of characters: a possibly empty sequence of codes running from the successor of the previous code up through the code for x. The character followed by 1, 2 or 3 octal digits stands for the character whose 16-bit value is given by those digits. The character sequence followed by 1, 2, 3, or 4 hexadecimal digits stands for the character whose 16-bit value is given by those digits. A followed by any other character stands for that character. EXAMPLES
Replace all upper-case ASCII letters by lower-case. tr A-Z a-z <mixed >lower Create a list of all the words in one per line in where a word is taken to be a maximal string of alphabetics. String2 is given as a quoted newline. tr -cs A-Za-z ' ' <file1 >file2 SOURCE
/sys/src/cmd/tr.c SEE ALSO
sed(1) TR(1)